Needing help upgrading ED2 to EE4.

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
My phone is currently using Altered Beast v4. I've tried disabling the lagfix so I can upgrade (from what I read, that should work). But when to go to System Updates, it says "Download failed". So I tried the factory reset, but it still have Altered Beast on it. Any idea what I should do/try?

Is it always this tough to get a system upgrade while your phone is rooted?

superstar1213

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
You're on a ED2 rom which is why the update is failing. It won't let you go any further than ED2. So what you need to do to accept the update, which will unroot you by the way.. is flash the ED1 stock file. then you will be able to accept and get the update. You did the right thing by disabling the lagfix.. thats a first before flashing the ED1 file.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/dro...ck-rooted-ed1-downgrade-ed2-2011-05-18-a.html

superstar1213

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
And depending on if you're wanting to stick with the Altered Beast ROM, which should be out in a couple days from what I've read, just sit on stock until DXcon pushes it out. I know he's been working on it but had to work a double, so I'd expect to see the AB 5 out in a few days.

superstar1213

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
you can update to EE4 with the link I provided you, I assure. Just go to settings>about phone>system updates. this WILL return you to stock, unrooted.

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I've been going through the PDA section. I have also restarted my computer as well. I'll attempt to redownload.

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
Got the MD5 to work. But further it went...it got another hiccup.

<ID:0/011> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<ID:0/011> Leave CS..
<ID:0/011> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/011> Initialzation..
<ID:0/011> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/011>
<ID:0/011> There is no PIT partition.
<ID:0/011> Removed!!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

chadness

Jan 31, 2011
Visit site
Got the MD5 to work. But further it went...it got another hiccup.

<ID:0/011> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<ID:0/011> Leave CS..
<ID:0/011> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/011> Initialzation..
<ID:0/011> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/011>
<ID:0/011> There is no PIT partition.
<ID:0/011> Removed!!
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

• Mine was seeming to lose power and shut off halfway through, and here's how I fixed it. After Odin was loaded on the PC and the phone was in download mode, but before I started the flash, I inserted the battery. This kept the phone on through the process and it succeeded.
  • Try a different USB port (some people claim the back USB port works better for them, but that's very computer dependent).
  • If you're on a laptop, make sure it is plugged in. Try a desktop if it continues to fail.
  • Try a different USB cable.
  • Make sure Odin is the only software running, and antivirus is disabled!
  • Redownload the Odin package, it may be corrupt.
  • Redownload the ROM/kernel/recovery, it may be corrupt.

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
After a pc shutdown, reinstalling of drivers, moving to a different USB port and disabling of anti-virus...one of those did the trick. I have e44 now. Thanks for all the help. Now...deciding what to do about a lagfix...

tkm20

May 17, 2011
Visit site
I don't really know anything about cwm. I pretty much installed altered beast blindly and got it to work. Do you have time to assist my in installing gummy on my phone, superstar?

superstar1213

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
Yes. The way to boot into this to apply any changes, and don't go hog wild yet, is to power phone off, hold down the power, home and volume up button, wait for the second Samsung logo to flash, then let go. Then you'll see what is CWM.. in yellow writing I presume. My recommendation before flashing anything is to wipe your phone.. make sure your important information is backed up, like your contacts and such. I use backup assistant for that, but another good app for that is Titanium Backup. I prefer Backup Assistant and then Mybackup Pro for my apps and such.

Flashing the file will be under install zip from sd card > choose zip from sdcard. You'll use your volume toggle button to scroll, and your power button to select your choice. If you are installing Gummy, you'll want to completely wipe your phone, per his instructions.. and is necessary imho when flashing a new ROM. You can also flash a new kernel.. I'm using the PBJ kernel and works pretty nice.