How bad is the camera.

nat72sherman

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Read the reviews that the camera is lacking. I'm looking for a phone to replace my HTC Thunderbolt. If it is bad, are there any ROMs that improve the camera?

dki378

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
The only disappointment I have with this phone is the camera. I don't have much to compare against but my wife has an iphone4 and the camera on her phone is quicker to shoot/focus, takes better pictures indoors, and has better color reproduction. I've tried many of the camera apps available on the play store and none of them have really made a difference. If the camera is very important to you then I hate to say it but you may want to look elsewhere. The phone itself is awesome... great size, speed, battery life... only problem for me is the camera but I have accepted that part and continue using the phone.

I'm not sure about ROM's. If there was something else out there that did improve the camera, I'd be all ears...

pdarrah

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't really have a problem with the camera - it isn't amazing, but it works fine for the kinds of quick snapshots where I use a phone camera. I'm not taking any important, save-forever, type photos with my phone. If I am taking "real" photos, I use a real camera. My little canon point-and-shoot is way better than any camera phone and my DSLR is another league better than that.

It really comes down to how important the camera is for you. If you use your phone as your only camera and take those all important family photos with it, then you need to look for a different phone. If you mostly want an amazing small, fast, great battery life phone that can take the occasional snapshot, the M is fantastic.

nealoc187

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
my main complaint about the camera is the hunting focus/slow capture time. i've missed a few shots of moving objects with it because of the dang focus that focuses, then unfocuses, hunts some more, focuses, partially unfoceses, and then takes the shot. it's quite annoying, but honestly i use the camera so infrequently that it's not a huge deal to me. if you are someone that takes a ton of pics with your cell and you need that functionality to be top notch, then look elsewhere. other than that i love this phone.

Thegreatone3

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
if you are someone that takes a ton of pics with your cell and you need that functionality to be top notch, then look elsewhere. other than that i love this phone.
Agreed. The latest Android Moto phones are great for excellent radios & call quality, minimally skinned Android experience, and rugged builds. Camera and displays? Not so much. At least not yet. :)

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Camera is pretty good in decent lighting, little rough in low lighting. The shutter speed could be a little faster too, but overall I don't mind the experience.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray

mcaspe1

Apr 23, 2010
Visit site
I think the camera is fine. I have taken many good quality pictures with mine worthy enough to be printed or posted online. My wife seems to think it takes better pictures than the iphone 4s I had before the M. I'm not quite sure about that one myself but it is pretty darn close. I am very pleased and happy with it.

anon(3653)

Nov 19, 2009
Visit site
Mine does fine but is made better using a third party app. Camera Zoom FX

Sent from my second brain.. Okay it is the only one working.

Gunner2000

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Take it from a professional wedding photographer. The camera on this phone is "good enough" for what it would be used for by the average user, but it will never replace any of the Nikon DSLRs that I have owned over the years. That being said and to quote Chase Jarvis, "The best camera is the one that you are always going to have with you," and bingo that would be the camera on my phone and it does a decent job compared to carrying around a Nikon D800 with battery grip and 70-200mm VRII lens around my neck all day. Is there room for improvement? Yes, there is always room for improvement in my opinion. Will it do the job? Yes it most certainly will. Well I think that is all the rambling on about the Razr M's camera I'm going to do for one night. Catch you on the flipside.
Gunner out!

bigbadwulff

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
The camera is not bad at all. People that have problems rely on AUTO and use the flash. Mess with the manual settings and it works just fine.
It's a PHONE, not a CAMERA. It will never replace a real camera.

Gunner2000

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
Right on bigbaddwulf! That's the thing that most people don't realize when they buy DSLR's as well. The pictures on auto are okay but when you switch the camera into the more manually controlled modes your picture quality grows exponentially.
Gunner out!

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

bigbadwulff

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I was getting horrible Macro photos until I messed with manual settings on the phone. You can move the white [ ] to the subject and it will focus much better. Also the little green icon can be manipulated too. It can take pretty decent Macros. It has problems with back lighting though. Haven't figured out how to help that out......yet ;)

My advice. Mess around with the camera. You aren't going to break it. My wife does not understand this concept with about any device. She just gives up without even trying. So, take my advice and mess with it. It's kinda fun really.

jaybird92

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Yeah indoors it's not real great but HDR helps. Makes it look a tad fake but not too much. I've had it on widescreen and it didn't occur to me that I was cutting it from 8MP to 6MP by doing that, but after putting it back on 8MP the resolution isn't too bad. Good enough for instagram lol

uscsailor

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I think it's way better than my Galaxy Nexus. Takes awesome photos outdoors, but HDR mode makes the photos too grainy. Here's one I took yesterday

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1360511743662.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1360511743662.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 66

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm happy.

Sent from my XT907 using Android Central Forums

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1363476631555.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1363476631555.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 42

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I am no photographer, but that is a beautiful shot! Kinda looks better than some of the ones taken w/my S3:eek:

My photo?!

That was literally the first photo I took with the phone, while setting it up.. I quick point and shoot really. HDR was on.

taraji

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
No offense, envy, but I was referring y to the sky/ocean pic.:)

Slicing thru forums on my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

ibbyj

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I was hoping that! Haha I was going to say, my picture was really nothing special! haha

I might have thought you were a bit crazy for a moment!