Why release three phones?

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I get the Razr M and the Razr Maxx HD but why release or even make the Razr HD?

I am tempted to buy the Maxx HD but think I will wait a year and see what Motorola and Google really come out with. This feels like Motorola already had the phones planned and Google came in and did the best they could with what they were given. The next batch should be the one to keep your eye on.

DOOG9517

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Three different price points. 99, 199, and probably 299 on contract. My wonder is if the off contact price will be different between the HD and HD Maxx.

Reactions: Ry

HES

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
Yep. They are trying to cover as much of the market as they possibly can. Actually a smart move by giving customers more choices.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I get the Razr M and the Razr Maxx HD but why release or even make the Razr HD?

Being thin is part of the RAZR heritage. They need the regular RAZR HD so they can say they have one of the thinnest smartphones.

IMO, the MAXX and MAXX HD only exist because Motorola went with non-removable batteries.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
The more I wait for JB on my VZW Galaxy Nexus I do not see the advantage of having a Nexus device and might go back to Motorola.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Or is Google trying to clean out Motorola's products so they can start working on their own ideas. Last year they released the Razr in November and then the Maxx in Jan. Now its like they opened up and released the rest of Moto's product line. "It's only just begun"...I really can not wait to see what Moto releases next...

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
This is not enough coffee and being up too early but how does Apple do it? They release 3 phones all with the same specs just a difference in storage size. Same battery life, screen, form factor...etc So no matter what price point the user is at, the user gets the best iPhone out. This Is where I would like to see Motorola or Android one day.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
This is not enough coffee and being up too early but how does Apple do it? They release 3 phones all with the same specs just a difference in storage size. Same battery life, screen, form factor...etc So no matter what price point the user is at, the user gets the best iPhone out. This Is where I would like to see Motorola or Android one day.

I'm unable to check right now but isn't the cheapest iPhone off contract still more expensive than the higher end Android phone by $50?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I'm unable to check right now but isn't the cheapest iPhone off contract still more expensive than the higher end Android phone by $50?

What does that have to do with what I said? If you have three people buy the iphones at each price point and had three people buy the three different Motorola phones at different price points. You would be hard pressed to pick which iPhone was which. The Motorola brands are offering a different user experience with each device. Do not get me wrong I am getting the Maxx HD. I just was making an observation.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
What does that have to do with what I said? If you have three people buy the iphones at each price point and had three people buy the three different Motorola phones at different price points. You would be hard pressed to pick which iPhone was which. The Motorola brands are offering a different user experience with each device. Do not get me wrong I am getting the Maxx HD. I just was making an observation.

The difference is that there's an actual differential in hardware that corresponds with the android prices. The iPhone features (excluding storage obviously) are overpriced at the two higher price points, when compared to similarly priced androids.

I'd rather spend an extra 100 bucks and actually get a bigger screen and battery than just an extra 16 or 32gb of storage.

thirsy1258

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

I don't think it's about letting people know which phone you donor don't have but like someone said it's about price points. We can afford a higher end phone for 299 on contract but someone who can't can still get a newer somewhat nice razr for 99. To do that with an iPhone you would have to buy the old phone model. Different specs different price points I guess. I don't know how many cheap android phones in see out there ever day that make me cringe with how cheap and terrible they are but I guess it's all about the number of activations for them. Who knows

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I know where you're coming from but that $50 makes up for it I guess. But from your observation, you're correct. However, the RAZR M serves the purpose for those who do notwant the big screen. The RAZR HD serves the purpose of the next generation with the slim factor and the Maxx HD serves as an extended battery. But of course, if we want to look at it this way, Motorola technically does the same thing with two of their phones that Apple does. Apple offers more storage capacity since its built in while Motorola offers upgradable storage capacity and a BIGGER battery option.

Really, for the most part, Motorola has the better idea. Its really two phones as the M isn't even in the same category. I'll take the battery life option over storage.

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I agree if I had to pick a spec that I would want to pay more for it would be battery not storage size. I guess apple is thinking the avg buyer still is unaware of the whole cloud movement.

jtwildman1

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I like the different options and price points that moto is offering. Obviously the maxx hd and razr hd will be the same except for battery life. The extra $100 has never been worth a bigger battery to me as a pocket charger has served me well for a fraction of the cost. Then you add in the slim factor which I really like, it's what makes it a true razr.
Of course these are my opinions, but i look at choice as a positive.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

obi5683

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The extra $100 has never been worth a bigger battery to me

Internal storage space doubles in addition to the larger battery. Before anyone says microSD, that option is fine for media files, but for app storage and other files that I always want access to, internal storage is the best option. Apps are getting larger. The removable storage option is also less secure.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo