Could you ever go to a smaller battery phone?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I see all of these cool new phones coming out like the GS4 and the HTC1 and then I think, that's great and all, but I remember the days of having chargers strategically placed everywhere and how nice the battery life is with my RMHD. Much as those phones might have some nicer features, I think it would take a heck of a lot to talk me out of this big battery and its long life. What about you?

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I see all of these cool new phones coming out like the GS4 and the HTC1 and then I think, that's great and all, but I remember the days of having chargers strategically placed everywhere and how nice the battery life is with my RMHD. Much as those phones might have some nicer features, I think it would take a heck of a lot to talk me out of this big battery and its long life. What about you?

Serious or joking?

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Serious or joking?

Seriously. I guess we all have different things we are looking for in a phone. Many of better phones these days have similar features. I got sick of always having to worry about the battery on my Nexus and love that I don't really have to worry about it with this phone. Sure, it could have a better camera, touchless swiping a thermometer and a few other things, but for me, all other things being fairly similar, I'll take the big battery.

Ideally Motorola will come out with a new version of it late this year or someone else will come out with some big battery phones to compete. I don't know how much of a difference in real use there is between 2600 and 3300 maH though. I know it also depends on the working of the phone and how efficient it is.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Seriously. I guess we all have different things we are looking for in a phone. Many of better phones these days have similar features. I got sick of always having to worry about the battery on my Nexus and love that I don't really have to worry about it with this phone. Sure, it could have a better camera, touchless swiping a thermometer and a few other things, but for me, all other things being fairly similar, I'll take the big battery.

I have the Nexus 4... yes the battery life is a bit annoying. It did get better with the last update. It all comes down to what people use their phones for. Features are what drives the smartphone industry. I just never saw someone question features on a phone.. that's why I asked if you were serious or joking. I wasn't being rude.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have the Nexus 4... yes the battery life is a bit annoying. It did get better with the last update. It all comes down to what people use their phones for. Features are what drives the smartphone industry. I just never saw someone question features on a phone.. that's why I asked if you were serious or joking. I wasn't being rude.

No offense taken. I agree with features driving the industry, but the new GS4 just released last night doesn't have anything so revolutionary that it makes me want to jump ship to get those features in lieu of more battery life. I'm guessing/hoping/assuming that Motorola will come out with an updated phone eventually including the more recent features along with a big battery. So I'm not that far behind the feature curve, certainly not enough to make me give it up yet.

Its sort of like with the iPhone. I have everything apple except my phone (desktop, laptop, ipad, iPod) but currently see no reason to get an iPhone. Its a great phone, but they'd have to come out with something significant to get me to move over to it. There just isn't anything about it right now that convinces me to make a platform swap.

Greg C

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
No offense taken. I agree with features driving the industry, but the new GS4 just released last night doesn't have anything so revolutionary that it makes me want to jump ship to get those features in lieu of more battery life. I'm guessing/hoping/assuming that Motorola will come out with an updated phone eventually including the more recent features along with a big battery. So I'm not that far behind the feature curve, certainly not enough to make me give it up yet.

Its sort of like with the iPhone. I have everything apple except my phone (desktop, laptop, ipad, iPod) but currently see no reason to get an iPhone. Its a great phone, but they'd have to come out with something significant to get me to move over to it. There just isn't anything about it right now that convinces me to make a platform swap.

YOU are a BATTERY hog... lol!

rbess1965

May 24, 2011
Visit site
I supply phones to the executives at my large tech company and many of them are moving from BlackBerry to iPhone or GS3. The GS3 users are asking me for advice on how to extend battery life. I'm not getting that from the iPhone users and I never have to ask myself that question. There will always be another device with better specs out there and more on the horizon, that's how companies stay afloat right. But when you find something that meets your needs, is dependable and just simply works great, you stick with it. I personally love this phone and it's battery. There's nothing I can't and don't do on this thing and having a battery like this is such a relief and a pleasure. I currently have unlimited on Verizon which I know will not last forever but if I can keep it by never changing phones again I will certainly be perfectly happy not having a 1080 screen. I don't feel like I'm missing a thing. MaxxHD rules.

Sent using the amazing RAZR Maxx HD

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
YOU are a BATTERY hog... lol!

Lol. Actually I think its more peace of mind. Similar to having unlimited data and text. I never come close to going over on what would be an unlimited data plan, but I like not having to worry about it. These days I'd certainly go over on a limited text plan. With my Nexus I'd usually come home from a 10h shift with 40-50% battery life, and there were times where I'd have to charge it because of some extra battery drain that day (signal trouble, more use, etc). Now I come home with 80%. I loved the Nexus, but the battery was frustrating and I always had an extra with me on vacation.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I just got this phone 3 days ago. At this point I will stay put. Battery life is a big seller to me. Granted I could get a full 24 hours on my iPhone with moderate usage. But the size of the iPhone turns me off to apple.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I just got this phone 3 days ago. At this point I will stay put. Battery life is a big seller to me. Granted I could get a full 24 hours on my iPhone with moderate usage. But the size of the iPhone turns me off to apple.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Android Central Forums

Yea, after bring used to the larger screens, the iPhone screen just seems to small. If you had asked me the same question 3-4 years ago I probably would have said it was too big. :)

Megaroad

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
It would be a tough decision. The S4 and the One both look like really nice phones, and I have no doubt they're a better experience than the Maxx HD - but the battery life of the Maxx HD lets me use the phone all I want, without restrictions.

The S4 may have good battery life though, since they put in a 2600 MAh battery.

I guess if I were buying a phone now, it would probably be the Galaxy S4, because it's got the right combination of specs, screen, and (I'm guessing) battery life. Although I'd be tempted by the HTC One because of the screen, nice form factor, etc.

I don't regret getting the Maxx HD back in November though. It is serving me well. There's always something better than comes out.

tbro4033

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I neeeeeeeed someone's help with my battery. I want to love this phone, but I've just had so many issues with it. My main gripe (nope, not the lag. Nope, not the alarm clock sometimes deciding not to wake me up in the morning.) is the LACK of battery life I've gotten from it. I know. I sound like a troll because HOW could the battery life be bad with a RMHD? I can't answer that and that's why I need your help. Today was a really good day for my phone, considering it's still at 40% after just under 13 hrs since I took it off the charger (fully charged). Normally, I have to charge it while at work. Of note, I keep my brightness at 0% at all times, WiFi is on only in the apt, I even turn off data when I'm not actively using it. I downloaded the GSam battery app just now to hopefully figure something out, but I can't stand seeing everyone talk about the amazing battery life when I'm not getting it with the same phone. That's literally the main reason I got this phone. I took it to Verizon, they put it on a phone call for 1 hour, and then told me the battery was within normal limits and wouldn't help me out. I barely even make phone calls, so I don't think that's an accurate test for my usage. What the hell is going on? What can I do to fix the problem (or convince Verizon that I'm not crazy and give me a new RMHD)?

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm right with the OP. After being a BlackBerry user for many years, I had a brief run with the iPhone 4, hated it, went to the HOX and had to have a charger with me all the time. Yes, the RMHD might not have the high end specs of the HTC1 or the GS4, but it, in my opinion, is the best phone on the market as a whole. Battery life is great. Screen is just fine. Build quality and durability is top notch. Camera suffices. Form factor and design is perfect. Internals are well above par. Reliability is also top notch.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I neeeeeeeed someone's help with my battery. I want to love this phone, but I've just had so many issues with it. My main gripe (nope, not the lag. Nope, not the alarm clock sometimes deciding not to wake me up in the morning.) is the LACK of battery life I've gotten from it. I know. I sound like a troll because HOW could the battery life be bad with a RMHD? I can't answer that and that's why I need your help. Today was a really good day for my phone, considering it's still at 40% after just under 13 hrs since I took it off the charger (fully charged). Normally, I have to charge it while at work. Of note, I keep my brightness at 0% at all times, WiFi is on only in the apt, I even turn off data when I'm not actively using it. I downloaded the GSam battery app just now to hopefully figure something out, but I can't stand seeing everyone talk about the amazing battery life when I'm not getting it with the same phone. That's literally the main reason I got this phone. I took it to Verizon, they put it on a phone call for 1 hour, and then told me the battery was within normal limits and wouldn't help me out. I barely even make phone calls, so I don't think that's an accurate test for my usage. What the hell is going on? What can I do to fix the problem (or convince Verizon that I'm not crazy and give me a new RMHD)?

I don't know enough to help you, but I feel for ya! I know there is a lot that goes into battery drain. How is your signal strength? On days where I have bad signals my battery life is a lot less with the phone having to search more.

Snareman

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I'm right with the OP. After being a BlackBerry user for many years, I had a brief run with the iPhone 4, hated it, went to the HOX and had to have a charger with me all the time. Yes, the RMHD might not have the high end specs of the HTC1 or the GS4, but it, in my opinion, is the best phone on the market as a whole. Battery life is great. Screen is just fine. Build quality and durability is top notch. Camera suffices. Form factor and design is perfect. Internals are well above par. Reliability is also top notch.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

I agree - it may not be the most cutting edge phone, but as a whole package (best battery with at least above average other stuff) I think its a win.

tbro4033

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
I don't know enough to help you, but I feel for ya! I know there is a lot that goes into battery drain. How is your signal strength? On days where I have bad signals my battery life is a lot less with the phone having to search more.

I always have almost full reception (not perfect, but a notch below), so I doubt that's the issue.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Depends how small. The iPhone 5 and other devices such as the S3 have batteries that are far too small. The Note II on the other hand lasts all day. But yes, the RAZR Maxx and Maxx HD spoiled me to where bigger batteries are a necessity.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
Yea, after bring used to the larger screens, the iPhone screen just seems to small. If you had asked me the same question 3-4 years ago I probably would have said it was too big. :)
I now find the iPhone to be too small, and the ip5 screen only being longer not wider is where apple messed up.

anon(5484072)

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
I could go for a smaller battery - reluctantly.

It seems like some companies still aren't putting a premium on battery (I'm looking at you, HTC). If it gets to a point where we need these faster phones, and none of the nicer ones have a big battery, then I'd have to settle for a smaller battery.

Of course, I'd be unhappy with it, since I'm more of a power user and like ending the day with 33% and 5 hours of screen time with everything on and screen at half brightness.

PowrDroid

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
If I could get 6 hours of screen time usage without needing a charge I could go to a different phone.

Sent from my Razr Maxx HD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87