Gmail Document Attachments?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
This is pretty stupid I know but with gmail app I can't figure out how to attach a document from phone? I see how to attach pictures or videos but I can't find the attach document option?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
This is pretty stupid I know but with gmail app I can't figure out how to attach a document from phone? I see how to attach pictures or videos but I can't find the attach document option?

You need to have a file manager of some sort that will allow you to navigate your file system to select an arbitrary file. If you do, when you select either attach picture or attach video you will get to select the file manager and pick any file. If you don't have a file manager, install one like ASTRO File Manager.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
The stock file manager will work. When I select attach picture, I get the options of drive, dropbox, file or gallery. At some point you may have set the default as gallery.

Go to settings>apps>downloaded>gmail>scroll towards the bottom and clear the defaults.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX HD using Tapatalk 2

Somdk

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site

I go reverse way and can thus attach any type of file.

Navigate to the file, tab and hold the file for a sec, from the sub menu select Share, selexcr the email id you use (gmail) and send it. Done !

Also for multiple file attachment, select Share first from the menu and then continue as above.

Your pictures just be flying soon :).

On GT-N7100 with AC Forums mobile app

abzldy

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Thanks blg923 for the help. I am having same issue. Checked my gmail app defaults and none have been set. When I select "attach picture", I only get dropbox or gallery options. How can I add the drive and file options? Thanks in advance for your help.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
abzldy...two things...

What happens when you select Attach Video?

Go to Settings > Apps > Gallery and clear the defaults for that also.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks blg923 for the help. I am having same issue. Checked my gmail app defaults and none have been set. When I select "attach picture", I only get dropbox or gallery options. How can I add the drive and file options? Thanks in advance for your help.
As I said at the top of the thread, you can install a file manager like Astro File Manager. That will add itself to the save as menu and allow you to select a file location.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Makes no sense to install a third party app when the native one does the job just fine.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Makes no sense to install a third party app when the native one does the job just fine.

I don't know why you're insisting on repeating wrong information. Native Android behaves just like these posters say it behaves. YOU have installed at least one third-party app. Do you think Dropbox support is native? Or maybe you installed a Dropbox app, which is functioning as a file manager? I wonder.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
You're a troll. I did not state I was not a user of third party apps, I simply stated the native file manager works absolutely fine. Installing a third party file manager is not solving his problem. End of discussion.

Don't you need to clean your room or something.

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
You're a troll. I did not state I was not a user of third party apps, I simply stated the native file manager works absolutely fine. Installing a third party file manager is not solving his problem. End of discussion.

Don't you need to clean your room or something.

You're not listening. The poster states that his Attach, Picture actions are limited to Gallery and Dropbox. That indicates he doesn't have a file manager to handle the operation. If he installs one, it will show up as an additional action on that menu. It's really simple. Each file manager that he installs will be a way to navigate the file system and select an arbitrary file. What would Gallery defaults have to do with it?

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Unless he disabled the native File Manager, there already is one. Why do you assume installing a third party wi automatically appear in the list?

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Unless he disabled the native File Manager, there already is one. Why do you assume installing a third party wi automatically appear in the list?

Because that's the way they work. When I do Attach, Picture I see, in addition to Gallery, all of the several file managers I've installed, by name and logo. Once they register themselves with Android as file managers, all pertinent contexts for file managers automatically list them. That's why installing the Dropbox app automatically makes it available as an Attach, Picture option. Regardless of why they don't have a file manager installed, the easiest way to fix it is to install one. Or more. I have four or five. There's no downside to having options.

blg923

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
So his didn't come with the native one huh? You still don't get my point...

whoover

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So his didn't come with the native one huh? You still don't get my point...

My phone didn't have a native file manager out of the box. It sounds a lot like a couple of other users' phones didn't have a native file manager. There are a lot of references to Android not having a native file manager, like:
[Gmail Attach]: Now add any file as attachement to your email using Android Gmail app : Tips for Technology

I'm really glad for you that yours had one. And I get your point. (I wrote my first systems software in 1965, by the way.) But even if we're all just dumb and no native file manager is showing up on Attach, Picture... because we all managed to break it somehow, why would you keep telling people NOT to install one. Anyway, I'm done.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
I myself do not have a third party file manager installed. But for the heck of it i decided to try and send a document. Mine are stored on my sd card. So created an email selected attach photo, instead of gallery i selected files. Chose where my docs are at and boom, file was sent. Now if the OP has selected gallery at one point and had by accident chosen the always tab. That could be the issue.

sagar jain1

Oct 15, 2015
Visit site
I got a new s6 edge and was having a tough time attaching a pdf file scanned via camscanner. I downloaded an app called file expert and it works well.

elshaman

Oct 28, 2015
Visit site

I've found an easy solution, no app needed, at least on android 5.0, this is my first time on android, so here it is...

When you choose attach a file you'll get the different options go to any screen, recent, choose the 3 dots->show SD card and you'll get to explore the device storage and SD card storage.

I hope this helps...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer