Huge battery drain fix post ICS

maxman1

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I've seen this mentioned in several places and it must have validity on some phones. That said, on my Maxx I see no difference whatever and still have superb battery life either way. It's clear to me the OTA ICS upgrade did not affect all devices equally. The trick for Moto & Verizon will be to identify what's making the difference.

Sent from my Verizon 4G RAZR Maxx using Tapatalk 2

droidntn

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
Hmmm, I'm slipping. I didn't know that. Just set mine to lte/cdma.
Curious if I see a difference now. I already had great battery life.

Sent from Marx Maxx

robocp4

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
So I was on global so now I switched it to lte but will that affect my 4g?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
So I was on global so now I switched it to lte but will that affect my 4g?

No. LTE is 4g. There's no reason to even have it on global unless you're leaving the country and have an international plan

Sent from my RAZR MAXXIMUS ;)

Praggles

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
So in a nice and non sarcastic way you are telling me cdma = 3g since the little blue indicator never says cdma...and you know non technical people use this form as a way to get friendly noncondescending advice because only a jerk would try to make them feel stupid right?

Thanks

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You are correct, CDMA is 3G (which just means 3rd generation) and LTE is 4G (which means 4th generation). It's a bit of an annoying convention to have the different names, but part of the reason is that a given generation of wireless signal can have more than one technology. 4G can be LTE (which is primarily Verizon) or HSPA+ (which is AT&T--at least their initial 4G network), which are 2 different systems that are not interchangeable. Similarly, 3G can be CDMA (Verizon) or GSM (AT&T and others, as well as international).

By the way, I don't think carracerz14 was trying to be sarcastic or jerky. Remember that many people respond on this forum using their phones, and it's easier and more efficient to type a quick response rather than a wordy response that carries friendlier nuances.

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
So in a nice and non sarcastic way you are telling me cdma = 3g since the little blue indicator never says cdma...and you know non technical people use this form as a way to get friendly noncondescending advice because only a jerk would try to make them feel stupid right?

Thanks

Yeah... Just trying to throw out a quick response and move on to the next thread.. Sorry..

Reactions: Jack33 and Praggles

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

Thanks

And cdma does=3g, and it will only connect to 3g if a 4g connection isn't available. It will always prefer a 4g connection.

electriclineman

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for posting this.. I was on World & now on LTE only.. Seems like my battery is a little better, not a huge difference but anything is better than nothing..

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I believe lte IS 4g so you'll still get it. I know i am. It is still the only thing that made a difference for me ,including the factory reset.
Might matter if you are on good 4g area mostly,which apparently, i am. Im back to great battery life as i had pre ics.

hdhuntr

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Sorry....im no expert....i only know it was huge for me...before i did this i went to 40% in 2.5 hrs. Now im back to staying at 90/80 for hours. I know it wont help everyone but im gonna find the guy to thank. :)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

FrustRAZRed

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
I have been frustrated ever since the ICS update on my RAZR. I literally go through 3 full charges a day from 6am to 10pm while only using my phone for email and texting. I went to Verizon and was told the only thing to be done was buy a portable charge pack (which I bought a couple weeks prior). I even put my phone to sleep while charging do I waste none of the extra charge from my Mophie battery pack. The phone runs extremely hot most of the time and I have issues with texting when battery life drops below 20%. <20% battery life causes my keyboard to lock up, erase previously typed characters and resetting doesn't help.

I switched off global for LTE/CDMA the day after the upgrade but nothing has helped.

Any suggestions for limiting the background use of apps or how to remove VZ apps that came pre loaded?

I'm grasping at straws here and even debated switching to an iPhone at retail price because I am losing my mind.

Oh yeah, and this is my third RAZR.

LegalAmerican

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I have been frustrated ever since the ICS update on my RAZR. I literally go through 3 full charges a day from 6am to 10pm while only using my phone for email and texting. I went to Verizon and was told the only thing to be done was buy a portable charge pack (which I bought a couple weeks prior). I even put my phone to sleep while charging do I waste none of the extra charge from my Mophie battery pack. The phone runs extremely hot most of the time and I have issues with texting when battery life drops below 20%. <20% battery life causes my keyboard to lock up, erase previously typed characters and resetting doesn't help.

I switched off global for LTE/CDMA the day after the upgrade but nothing has helped.

Any suggestions for limiting the background use of apps or how to remove VZ apps that came pre loaded?

I'm grasping at straws here and even debated switching to an iPhone at retail price because I am losing my mind.

Oh yeah, and this is my third RAZR.

If you are going through that much battery per day, I doubt it's just an app or something that you can fix. I would demand Verizon either send you another replacement, or where you've already had 3 I might even say cut your losses with the Razr line and try your luck on something else.......That would be horrible to have those problems.

jeffrok

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
If you've had 3 different RAZRs (MAXXs I assume) and you are charging your phone 3 times a day, you are doing something to cause this.. You MUST be. Even if you're only doing only light e-mailing and texting, you must have something installed that is draining battery in the background. Weather apps? Games that poll servers for updates regularly? Live in an area with very poor coverage (beyond your control)? Screen brightness way too high?

There has to be a reason why three of your phones are doing the exact same thing.

Post a screenshot or a few, and show us what Android says is draining your battery.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
glda19