In lust with the Razr...help me fall in love...

magicpinkdrink

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, my iPhone 4 and I have been in an exclusive relationship for 18 months now, and I hate to leave it, but AT&T and I are very close to breaking up (Long story short, they completely SCREWED me with my DSL service and instead of resolving THEIR mistake I was argued with and hung up on. Repeatedly. For a week. I have absolutely no faith in that company anymore.) which means a new carrier and a new phone.

Since my husband works for a VZW re-seller, we will most likely go that route for carrier. But what phone do I get? I'm torn. I could get the white iPhone 4s that I've been dreaming about for months...or I could get a white Droid Razr. It's the phone my husband has been dreaming about for about as long as I was dreaming of that 4s, and with the buy 1 get 1 free deal they have right now, it seems like a no brainer. 2 pretty awesome looking phones for the price of one.

The main reason I am on the fence is because my husband currently has an android device (HTC Aria) and I HATE using it. It's slow, it's glitchy, it's clunky. It's just... not my iPhone. I'm just not sure I'm ready to jump into the world of android, but I want to give it a shot.

So, please, help me fall in love with the Razr. Reviews, what you like about it, what you hate about it...anything. Bonus points if you went from iOS to android and can give me tips/experiences. Tthanks!

socarwolverine

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't use the HTC Aria as a benchmark for any of the current android devices. The Aria was low-end when it was released, the Razr would be a huge upgrade over the Aria. You can't go wrong with either the Razr or Iphone, but if it were me, I'd go with a Razr Maxx.

Reactions: androidcore

androidcore

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't use the HTC Aria as a benchmark for any of the current android devices. The Aria was low-end when it was released, the Razr would be a huge upgrade over the Aria. You can't go wrong with either the Razr or Iphone, but if it were me, I'd go with a Razr Maxx.

AMEN!!!! When Android became popular on Verizon, AT&T still had their exclusive contract with Apple. So, not to piss them off, they got tier 1 and 2 android phones. Then Apple branched out... and NOW AT&T gets tier 3 androids.. like the Thrill.... the Skyrocket... the Galaxy S2 original..... in order to compete with big Red Verizon ..... The Aria is a nasty pathetic tier 1. Please for the love of god... don't judge all of 2011-2012 android technology on a AT&T 2009 tier 1 "we gotta look cool to our customers and be nice to Apple" phone...

I think you'll love the RAZR over iPhone. More customizable, functional, etc... and I would get RAZR MAXX. Same identical to RAZR... just bigger battery .. cheers

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

RodL

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
Another reason to get the Razr, you don't have to give them your credit card number in order to download free app's! What do they need my CC# for.

jtwildman1

May 3, 2011
Visit site
I absolutely love my razr. They have a great deal going right now, however if money isn't a huge issue, I agree with everyone else..razr Maxx is the way to go. It us the same phone,a hair thicker, but incredible battery life! once you use Verizon's 4g Lte network, you are going to wonder why you didn't leave at&t sooner.
Take the time to go play with one at the store before you decide, just remember there will be a bit of a learning curve, but seriously awesome device! Btw.. iPhone 4S only runs on 3g, which is good, but your husband will make you jealous when he is running 4g...you don't want that! Lol
Good luck

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

paul-c

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
If you like the RAZR and are considering it, by all means get it over the iPhone 4S. Android will be an easy transition because everything runs smoothly on the phone, so no worries there. And the big screen and LTE is the way to go right now, especially if you're signing a new contract.

the one and only M

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
You've been dreaming about the white 4S. You're used to the apple ecosystem. Get the iPhone. The razr is an awesome device and I love mine. But if you're happy with everything except your service provider, get the same phone on a different carrier.

And if I were to buy, recommend, or judge an android device, it would be one of the higher end devices. Low end android devices are more akin to a full blown feature phones.

magicpinkdrink

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guys! I'll try not to judge android devices based on my husbands little chugging Aria. I have a few friends that have higher end android devices, maybe i'll play around with their phones and go into the Verizon store and play around with the RAZR. Take a little "test drive'

Money is kind of a concern when you factor in the ETF for both or our contracts with AT&T. So I am swayed by the fact it would be $199 for 2 RAZRs instead of $199 for a RAZR and $199 for an iPhone.

I am torn though, I do love the Apple ecosystem, as well as the amazing customer service they have. As for the person who said they require a credit card on file to purchase free apps...that is untrue. You have to enter a credit card to create your iTunes account, but you can remove it after and still be able to download free apps, or use gift cards for paid ones.

I guess in a way, after almost 2 years with my iPhone, I'm starting to get slightly bored with it, and starting to want a change. Factor that in with the money factor, and it seems like the RAZR is the best choice. I just hope I am ready for the world of Android

nizmoz

Banned
Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
I just broke our contract and we were with AT&T for 15-16 months and for my iphone line it was $185, then the other two lines it was $80 each. Selling the iphone 4 I had and the other iphone 4 will pay for the ETF, and the one new RAZR MAXX. Since we get one free, it was a easy decision. They just arrived at the house today so I get to activate them when I get home. But I have used higher end phones like the Skyrocket from AT&T and loved it! Just hated the battery life of it. So now with the MAXX with double the life it had, it should be the perfect phone!

darkSSide

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I've had AT&T and there service sux! Very happy with Verizon there customer service bends backwards for you. I just ordered my RAZR's,so hopefully I love them too

French

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
I had an Android phone last year and when Verizon came out with the iPhone I got one. I left Android because I was sick and tired of all the little things that kept going wrong. The icing on the cake was navigating while on vacation with my dad, brother, SIL and husband and the phone decided to drop data and then reboot. Thank goodness I had printed paper but that was the last straw. I had the Droid X at the time. Bottom line...I felt like I was trying to get more out of the phone than it could deliver.

I was hesitant to move to the iPhone due to it being more controlled, but I decided I wanted something that "just works" more. So I moved to the iPhone and ultimately ended up with an iPhone 4S. It was painful for me...I remembered going from feeling "in touch" and aware of things, to just using the phone when I would make myself pick it up to see if there was something I could use it for. I don't quite know how to explain it to you, but the larger screen of the Droid X meant I would pick it up just to look something up on the Internet real quick....or to read my newspapers or check out some twitter posts. Even Facebook a little. I also had some games on there...and I didn't mind emailing and texting with it.

The iPhone and I made peace but I never LOVED it, despite having a macbook air and iPad 2 (so fully into the ecosystem). I LOVED my Droid X when it worked right.

My number one priority in a phone is that it works, and number 2 is that it can last the entire day. Long story but I experienced a family emergency that stressed me out tremendously and it didn't help that I had to spend the entire day worried I wouldn't be able to stay in touch with family members (back in my Blackberry days).

When the Maxx was announced I was hooked...the battery life could not be ignored. I'm a user who has iOS 5 on the 4S and my battery life took a dive and I'm frankly ticked that it's 4 months later and there has been no fix. So I thought what the heck...give the Maxx a try.

I had forgotten all the things I missed about Android....and all the pain points from moving away form Android to iOS. It's wonderful to be in any app and share something out, and to get an entire list of a gazillion ways you can share things...text, email, tweet, Facebook, Read It Later....the list is as long as the apps you have that can accept the data you are trying to share.

The Maxx has redeemed Android for me. The hardware can keep up with what I am making the software do. I've got Smart Actions that when I start my car launch a special car dock program with all my favorite programs right at my fingertips. And when I get to work it turns my wifi back on and automatically puts my phone on vibrate. When I get home it automatically turns my volume up and changes my wallpaper to something bright and cheerful. I LOVE this automation stuff.

Another thing I had against the iPhone is that I have never loved the 3.5 screen size. It's too darned small!!!!

Having said that, I had come to take for granted the one handed operation. I can't operate the Maxx one-handed...that's all there is to it. But the larger screen is more important to me. I can actually DO things on the Maxx...I can look at my budget spreadsheet and make changes to it, etc. I hated trying to do stuff like that on the iPhone.

So here is where you may struggle:
1) Size...it is huge when you are used to an iPhone
2) Camera - nothing beats the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S camera. NOTHING. Maxx is adequate, but I had become comfortable considering the 4S my "main" camera. The Maxx will do fine most of the time but I will need to make it a point to pack my larger point and shoot camera when I'm going somewhere I know there will be photo pops
3) Bloatware. Maybe you won't care or notice...but it drives me nuts. I honestly think it's the reason so many devices end up with issues. The carriers force their bloatware on you and some of that crap can't be turned off, and then of course you may end up loading a bad app here or there. Apple definitely has an advantage in that they don't allow the carrier bloat on their devices.

Do yourself a favor and look at every app on your iPhone that you "can't live without" and see if you can find a comparable app on the market.

I am not regretting going back to Android with this Maxx. The ecosystem with Apple was good, and it's cool so many other people have one and you can talk "iPhone" with others...but I've found very few people in real life that want to do anything beyond playing Words with Friends. So aside from losing the ability to be a case ho since everyone makes a case for iPhone...I'm happy with the change for myself. I have an iPad to fill the iOS void and use Dropbox for files that I "must" have across platforms.

P.S. since you are coming from the iPhone 4 I will say that the Maxx will no doubt last as long as the iPhone does but on 4G...I can't say if the non Maxx razr will since I don't have one...but if I were in your shoes and decided to go Android...I'd DEFINITELY go Maxx over the regular Razr.

Last edited: