Rezound to Razr

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Hello everybody,
I'm here to ask a few questions about the Razr. I'm getting the Razr as a Certified Like New Replacement from Verizon for a Rezound that had a million and one bugs and issues.

Questions
1) Is the Battery as bad as people are saying? I run Juice Defender Pro on my Rezound and can get a solid day of heavy/moderate use no problem but a lot of people are saying the Razr fails at holding a charge.

2) Screen, some people are saying the Razr's screen looks more pleasing to the eye than the Rezound but I find that hard to believe after using the Rezound for a while.

3) What are the plans for a Jelly Bean update? And if not, how hard is it to Root and Rom the Razr?

4. How is Blur after the ICS update? Still a pain or not so much?

Thanks in Advance to anyone who comments!

Last edited:

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I took came from the rezound. Battery life is about the same for me. I get a full days use out of it so im good. The screen has its own set of pluses and minuses. I almost think the RAZR screen is better for me, but I'm not sure.

I'm pretty happy with the RAZR. I like it much better than the rezound.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
2) I had the Razr for a short time and my girl still does. The Super AMOLED screen on it has that green tint and I couldn't stand it. In bright ambient light it may be ok, but I use my phone a lot in low light settings. The green tint on the Razr's display gets worse the dimmer you make the screen. I was tempted to trade in for the Rezound, but it was to pricey for me and I settled for the Bionic instead. Both of those phones have the same screen, and I do think it's much better than Super AMOLED. The only upside IMHO is blacks are a lot more true on the Razr.

I would also be cautious about "certified", or "like new" replacements. They say the phones are supposed to be inspected and fixed as good as new, but in my experience, that's never the case. Often times the replacement has its own set of problems just as bad, if not worse, than the phone I sent in. I've heard similar stories from others too, from many different brands and carriers.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Blur is so minimal in the ICS update I really wouldn't even say its there. Aside from some colors, the launcher, and some icons it is almost the same as stock AOSP ICS. After using this phone for about a month now I am much happier over the Rezound.

Love the otterbox defender too. Best defender case out there.

Reactions: anon(883913)

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Bond32, I was wondering about the Blur on ICS. I watched a lot of the reviews by Engadget and CNET and they all said that Blur was unbearable on GB but I was unable to find a good review post-ICS!

MoonCatt, I was unable to get Verizon to send anything better (new in box) and trust me, if this device ships with anything major wrong with it, Verizon WILL be hearing from me! I was so mad when I found that my Rezound was shipped last week (the one I am currently using) and it was used and had NO extras (no charger, no battery, no SD card, etc) so I had to use all the old components from the non working Rezound. After all that, the replacement has the SAME problems and I was just so frustrated with HTC after going through 6 of their devices (4 Thunderbolts and 2 Rezounds) in the past 4 months that I decided to jump ship to Motorola. The Rezound had the capabilities to be a top dog spec wise but HTC dropped the ball when it came to software. Hoping to be much happier with the Razr (I hear Moto has the best radios of any brand so I'm excited to see if this thing will be able to get 4G in some places I don't get it now. I mean I get 4G outside my house but as soon as I walk inside it loses it unless I'm right next to a window).

All in all, I am eagerly waiting for the UPS delivery guy tomorrow!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I've got quite a bit more signal inside a building where other Verizon users on non-Moto phones barely have any. If it doesn't get you 4G inside, try looking at Wilson brand cellphone antennas (not to be confused with the Wilson cb antenna Co. two different companies). They make some of the best antenna and repeater/amplifier systems out there and do offer some home solutions if you can't pull in a signal inside. I used one of their trucker antennas, and it took me from zero to full bars vs the phone by itself.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for all your replies :) Sorry if I sound kinda dumb and ask stupid questions but I haven't had a lot experience with this device and don't know a lot about it. Also because most of the online reviews were written before ICS so I'm not able to really see how the device now performs!
I don't think I would go as far as actually personally purchasing an extender / amplifier for the signal because I recently called Verizon and they said that our city is scheduled for an expansion in the next couple of months and that they are always lighting up new towers around where I am. But I am definetely ready for it because once I get 4G, I have half a mind to shut off our road runner internet and just use FoxFi. It would be a lot cheaper and a lot faster (Road Runner lite runs about 1mb/s down and .3 mb/s up) but I'm sure Verizon would notice if I shifted the nearly 100GB/month my home computer, Xbox 360 and tablets use onto their network!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Hope you have an unlimited plan! I have a 20 GB plan on my air card for my laptop and that's sometimes almost not enough. Lol

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I see accounts of people racking up 300+ gigs on their unlimited plans so I wouldnt worry too much about that. That doesn't mean they wouldn't contact you or whatever though because I have personally not used more than 10 yet, but I soon will be using it for my laptop internet.

Its a great phone, I think you will be pleased. I too read a lot of reviews and I personally haven't had any of the issues the negative reviewers have had.

wckesq

Sep 5, 2010
Visit site
Had a Rezound for a day. Horrible radio reception. Switched to RAZR and haven't looked back. Great signal almost everywhere. Wish I could still manually switch back to 3G with ICS since my office is not in a 4G area, but wifi at the office and a smart action shutting off cellular data when on wifi has helped battery life considerably.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Had a Rezound for a day. Horrible radio reception. Switched to RAZR and haven't looked back. Great signal almost everywhere. Wish I could still manually switch back to 3G with ICS since my office is not in a 4G area, but wifi at the office and a smart action shutting off cellular data when on wifi has helped battery life considerably.

Its possible to switch to 3g only by using LTE OnOff for the Thunderbolt in the market for your RAZR. Also, you could dial *#*#4636#*#* in the dial pad.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

Dave_k605

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
^^^^
Easier thing to do is download the app called phone info, from there you can change to cdma, then simply change back to factory settings in the same app.

Works great and I use it in my gs3 which has no way of turning off the 4g

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I got my Razr a few days ago and I must say it's interesting. It has its good and bad but whats winning me over is the ability to use FoxFi! When I first got my phone I was amazed at how thin it was and how well built it is. Then I turned it on for the first time and was blown away at how AMOLED looks, the blacks are so black that the screen look off and the colors are so crisp. But I must say I am not a fan of the pentile matrix. It makes things look boxy and unappealing but in every day use its hardly noticeable. However, the first night I had my phone I noticed something peculiar, under the screen there appeared to be what looked like black ink. It wasn't just in one spot but blotched all over the display. It isn't that noticeable in a bright area or when the screen brightness is all the way up but when watching a movie at night it just screams and annoys me (I'm a little OCD, I like my things to look perfect). lol And apparently after reading online, its not a good idea to send it back for a replacement because I'm likely to get one that has it worse (online it seems every Droid Razr and lots of Droid Razr Maxx have them).

Battery life is on par with the Rezound and with smart actions I have the ability to be able to extend that even further. Currently, I have a rule set that turns the cellular data off when phone idles with the screen off. Its quite amazing how they fit the entire Rezound worth of hardware (and even more) into that tiny profile (and even made it water resistant :) ) P.S. I always use 4G LTE, I can't stand using Verizon's 3G because I'm basically addicted to the speeds of LTE!

All in all, this device is nice with great build quality and an amazing form factor but the display is kinda a turn off and the battery is definitely gonna need charged 1-2 times a day. I'm glad I got this phone for free as a CLN and didn't pay for it, otherwise I would of gotten the Maxx edition.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I also noticed the black splotches giving it that inky look you mentioned on my Razr when i had it. I don't know if that's normal or not for that display.

Bond32

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Pretty sure is not an issue, just part of how the display works. It doesn't seem to affect the performance or display when its on at all.

anon(883913)

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
After looking at loads of forums and websites, it seems that most users believe it to be the glue used to hold the display together due to its liquid like look, etc. However, in Motorola's official statement they blamed it on the Samsung made AMOLED display, saying that it was a biproduct of the display but most people have determined that as BS because so far, the Droid Razr and Razr Maxx are the only phones experiencing this problem.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The black splotches are normal on this type of screen. My PlayStation Vita has an Organic LED display and it has a couple of these splotches on dark backgrounds but no where near that of my RAZR.

freeky1

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Excited about receiving my Razr Maxx as a replacement for my Bionic this week. I was not aware of the spotty displays.

Sent from my Xoom running EOS3 Jelly Bean using Tapatalk 2.

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Excited about receiving my Razr Maxx as a replacement for my Bionic this week. I was not aware of the spotty displays.

Sent from my Xoom running EOS3 Jelly Bean using Tapatalk 2.

You'll only see this on a black screen and nothing else.