What is easy method to get ICS on my Sprint Epic 4G?

jaykimdotnet

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Yeah this topic has been kinda sandwich'd since dude sorta blew up on a helpful comment. So now we talking about CM9 I think. Which btw, beta 2 has been amazing for me. I did experience the gps bug a few minutes ago, but other than that outburst, it has been nearly flawless ics goodness for me. Highly recommend it as a daily driver.

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah this topic has been kinda sandwich'd since dude sorta blew up on a helpful comment. So now we talking about CM9 I think. Which btw, beta 2 has been amazing for me. I did experience the gps bug a few minutes ago, but other than that outburst, it has been nearly flawless ics goodness for me. Highly recommend it as a daily driver.

To also keep in mind that this thread was opened before CM9 was even available for our Epic (and no word from the devs if it would even be possible). The devs have made great strides in just a few short months. Even with Beta status, it shows that Samsung has no technological reason to NOT be able to ship ICS to it, Maybe not OTA since it did require a change in partitions, but at least make it an option via Keis or whatever the desktop software is...

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm rooted and flashing the blend "The Goodness" for now. not at all concerned like before, with the announcement today that GS3 will have the EXYNOS quad proccessor, this GS2 is about to get passed down to the son. i've seen the blend I'm flashing in action, and far more stable with the latest 7.0/7.1 version than CM7 or CM9, plus it's far more personalization friendly. Thanks for all your advice and encouragement its nice to have so many people hoping for the same result! I'll keep you posted on how things turn out....btw I'm rooted with a fully stock el29 with root and rogue bootanimation
:cool:

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted and flashing the blend "The Goodness" for now. not at all concerned like before, with the announcement today that GS3 will have the EXYNOS quad proccessor, this GS2 is about to get passed down to the son. i've seen the blend I'm flashing in action, and far more stable with the latest 7.0/7.1 version than CM7 or CM9, plus it's far more personalization friendly. Thanks for all your advice and encouragement its nice to have so many people hoping for the same result! I'll keep you posted on how things turn out....btw I'm rooted with a fully stock el29 with root and rogue bootanimation
:cool:

Be careful following the advice in THIS part of the forum. Reason being, you mentioned you have the GS2 (Epic 4g TOUCH). This is the forum for the OG Epic 4g (with keyboard). Don't try installing anything from here, it'll likely break your phone, as will me trying to install "The Goodness" on my phone. For what it's worth Sprint is pushing, or will push, the ICS upgrade for the E4gTouch.

rundown87

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Alright, I decided to post this here because I didn't want to start a new thread about something that has probably already been asked many times. I have rooted my phone before and used the tethering, so I'm not a total idiot (I hope) I have been hearing some great things about CM9 and wanted to try it out as my Epic does nothing but give me troubles with lag, reboots, freezes and whatnot. I was reading the install guide here Samsung Epic 4G: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki and was following along for the super easy stuff, but then it says things like untar files to whatever directory, then enter commands into directories and whatnot. And I have a feeling I'm familiar with most of it, maybe just not the terminology to know exactly what that means. Anyway, if someone may be able to hold my hand like a little infant and walk me through the process or just give me some tips, I'd really appreciate it.

Zeinzu

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Alright, I decided to post this here because I didn't want to start a new thread about something that has probably already been asked many times. I have rooted my phone before and used the tethering, so I'm not a total idiot (I hope) I have been hearing some great things about CM9 and wanted to try it out as my Epic does nothing but give me troubles with lag, reboots, freezes and whatnot. I was reading the install guide here Samsung Epic 4G: Full Update Guide - CyanogenMod Wiki and was following along for the super easy stuff, but then it says things like untar files to whatever directory, then enter commands into directories and whatnot. And I have a feeling I'm familiar with most of it, maybe just not the terminology to know exactly what that means. Anyway, if someone may be able to hold my hand like a little infant and walk me through the process or just give me some tips, I'd really appreciate it.

http://epiccm.blogspot.com/p/cm9-install-guide.html?m=1

I honestly suggest checking out their G+ page as well (Epic CM). There is a link on there for a test build (Beta3 Pre12) that I'm currently running and is working fantastically. Or you can just give it a few more days to a week and wait for the official Beta3 release which will include many fixes. The Beta3 build should for the most part be in damn near perfectly stable condition in most if not all aspects imo (in my opinion).

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: rundown87

rundown87

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I feel like I'm a couple steps behind where that even starts at. If a dev for CM9 wants to walk me through it I'd be glad to donate to their cause.

jaykimdotnet

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Tar is simply an archive format like zip or rar. So untarring simply means to decompress that archive's contents with 7zip or winrar. Any other things you need defined?

You might want to watch a few youtube tutorials, qbking77 gives some great advice on rooting the epic 4g, introduction to android and flashing cm9 if you look up his channel. Then once you have a basic grasp of that, go ahead and step by step carefully follow both the instructions on the epic 4g cm9 blog as well as the video tutorials, and you should be golden.

rundown87

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Also check the stickies on this forum. Starting with the guide to rooting your epic 4g http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=151298

[ROOT][CWM][GUIDE][GINGERBREAD] Rooting the Samsung Epic 4g

From there flashing cm9 is simple using clockwork mod.

Okay, so basically, root the phone, install clockwork mod, then flash CM9? I can probably do that. I had to install clockwork mod on my old device when I rooted it for tethering. Unfortunately, that phone is now toast. I'll try it when I get home from work and let you guys know how it went. (not that you really care) But I do appreciate the help!

jaykimdotnet

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Yup. Basically root with clockwork mod 5.x, flash cm9, flash recommended version of gapps, restart and log in to your google account and update your apps, restore backups if you have any and you're golden.

Good luck!

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so basically, root the phone, install clockwork mod, then flash CM9? I can probably do that. I had to install clockwork mod on my old device when I rooted it for tethering. Unfortunately, that phone is now toast. I'll try it when I get home from work and let you guys know how it went. (not that you really care) But I do appreciate the help!

Glad to see you here and glad you finally grew a pair like myself last year!! If you need any help, just ask and we will gladly help you! If you are for ANY REASON uncertain about what to do or what the next step is, just read the step by step instructions carefully or just ask here in the threads. You're going to love ICS on your brand new phone....you know what I mean!

rundown87

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Okay, just reading through there it looks like I should be good to do it without my device self-destructing. Couple questions, real quick, though.

I imagine I need to wipe my device before doing all of this?

Will the Clockwork Mod at this link http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...uide-gingerbread-rooting-samsung-epic-4g.html still work? Or is there an updated version I'd need to download?

Also at that link it says optional for installing the EL30 kernel. What are the benefits to installing that?

And lastly, it says, "Place the CyanogenMod update.zip file on the root of the internal memory." Is that saying to place it on the SD card on my phone? And if so, where at, exactly?

And seriously, you guys are awesome for helping me out with this. I was hesitant to buy the Evo 4g LTE as it seems like it's basically just hardware upgrades and I don't think those upgrades would satisfy me for the next 22 months. If this stops my phone from it's daily freezes and crashes, I can hold off on buying a new phone until a phone comes out that I HAVE to have. Not just the best available at the time.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Okay, just reading through there it looks like I should be good to do it without my device self-destructing. Couple questions, real quick, though.

I imagine I need to wipe my device before doing all of this?

Will the Clockwork Mod at this link http://forums.androidcentral.com/ep...uide-gingerbread-rooting-samsung-epic-4g.html still work? Or is there an updated version I'd need to download?

Also at that link it says optional for installing the EL30 kernel. What are the benefits to installing that?

And lastly, it says, "Place the CyanogenMod update.zip file on the root of the internal memory." Is that saying to place it on the SD card on my phone? And if so, where at, exactly?

And seriously, you guys are awesome for helping me out with this. I was hesitant to buy the Evo 4g LTE as it seems like it's basically just hardware upgrades and I don't think those upgrades would satisfy me for the next 22 months. If this stops my phone from it's daily freezes and crashes, I can hold off on buying a new phone until a phone comes out that I HAVE to have. Not just the best available at the time.

I'm no pro at this but I'll try my best to help you.

Yes, you should wipe your phone because it will give you the best chance of a proper and clean install.

I looked and tried searching if there is a newer ClockWorkMod (CWM) version than the one in that link but I can't seem to find one. I'm on CWM 5.5.0.4, the same as the one that is on that link.

The root of your SD card is right where all your files are when you access it. You can put the zip file anywhere there among those folders. I have made a folder called "00Flash" so that it always shows up first and at the top of the screen for easy access and organizing my files.

...Hope that helps.

rundown87

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Alright guys, I've rooted and installed CM9! Now I get to play with it! Seriously, thanks for all the help, and if I like CM9, I will definitely be donating to the devs cause!

im_electronic

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Update to the latest sprint pushed rom/radios too. Follow the full guides over at epiccm.blogspot.com

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Android Central Forums

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Alright guys, I've rooted and installed CM9! Now I get to play with it! Seriously, thanks for all the help, and if I like CM9, I will definitely be donating to the devs cause!

I'm just glad you took the initiative to do it and see how good the Epic 4G still is! You're gonna LOVE IT!! I know I did....uh, still am, lol!! Enjoy!!

smashclash

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I took the plunge to CM9 yesterday. So far so good although I'm still getting the hang of it. One question... I see Beta3 is in the works. I went with Beta2 official. Once Beta3 is official I will update my phone. How do you go about doing that and is it a simple flash type upgrade in clockwork or do I have to do some type of wipe/data loss again? I believe the answer is simply update without data lost but would like to confirm and know how to do it so when the time comes I'm ready. Thanks.