So, I seem to have failed at rooting my phone...

cfaini

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Hey, first timer here. I recently tried to root my Samsung Epic 4G and things seem to have gone wrong. I tried using Odin to root the phone 3 times but it froze up each time (leading me to have to disconnect after 5 mins). Now I'm just trying to get the phone back to normal, but now all I get is a yellow warning symbol in between a picture of a phone and a computer.

Holding down Volume Up + Camera + Power doesn't seem to be putting the phone into recovery mode. I've been trying some of the tricks to restore the phone to its factory state, but so far it doesn't seem to be working. Part of the problem might be that I'm not sure of which firmware build I should be using...

Yea, I'm sure you guys get a lot of people like me here, but any help would be appreciated.

cfaini

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I just tried following those instructions. Odin got stuck at boot.ini for 15 minutes so I tried disconnecting the phone to try again, and now it seems permanently bricked, dang it.

Well, thanks for sending me a suggestion at least.

At this point, I guess I have to take the phone to a sprint store and hope that I can get a new one without having to pay $100s of dollars?

monkey30butt

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I just tried following those instructions. Odin got stuck at boot.ini for 15 minutes so I tried disconnecting the phone to try again, and now it seems permanently bricked, dang it.

Well, thanks for sending me a suggestion at least.

At this point, I guess I have to take the phone to a sprint store and hope that I can get a new one without having to pay $100s of dollars?

Can you still get into download mode? Holding 1+power.....
Also, are you using the stock samsung USB cable?

cfaini

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Nah, the thing won't power on at all anymore. It won't even give me a 'battery charging' screen. The battery charging light won't either.

Yea, I was using the stock Samsung USB cable, was that part of the problem?

monkey30butt

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Nah, the thing won't power on at all anymore. It won't even give me a 'battery charging' screen. The battery charging light won't either.

Yea, I was using the stock Samsung USB cable, was that part of the problem?

To start with, get a better cable, the stock one gives a lot of troble for flashing.
Also, make sure you use a USB port that comes straight off the motherboard (like on the back of the computer where all the cables plug in) because if you use aa remote mounted port, that can cause a glitch as well.

Then take the battery & sd card out & let it set more than an hour.
Download a fresh tar file for eb13.
Start odin & uncheck auto reboot.
Plug in your phone to the USB
Now while holding 1 & power, slide the battery in & out continuesly until you get download mode, then leave the battery out & let Odin run. Hope your able to get it back.
Once you get it running again you can root & upgrade to what you want.

Also I use a Samasung Windows eb13 installer to flash mine when I want to start over, instead of Odin.
If you cannot find a download from googling it, and you want it. then let me know.

Last edited:

cfaini

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the tips, I'm glad that I waited instead of assuming all was lost and running to the sprint store, lol. I'll give this a try and see what happens.

willmsbrg

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully, you will get a solution. Definietely get a good stock version to odin with.. I did the same thing yesterday myself and only had the little phone-computer soft brick issue when I failed an odin flash and pulled the battery and soft bricked.

I had to pull the battery, get back into download mode, close and restart odin fresh, load the new stock EC05 version along with the the victory _8G_pit file. At that point it reloaded from scratch and passed.

Make sure you close the Odin application and restart it then load the zip and pit file, make sure just the auto restart is all that is checked and that you have a com number showing when you plug it in.

It should work..

cfaini

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, after leaving the battery out overnight I plugged the phone in and slid the battery in and out while holding down 1 + power. Didn't get the slightest reaction out of the phone.

I'm guessing what must have killed it is that last attempt at restoring the phone suggested having re-partition checked.

I think I'll just have to bring it in and see what happens. Maybe I'll try this again in the future with better cables...

monkey30butt

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Well, after leaving the battery out overnight I plugged the phone in and slid the battery in and out while holding down 1 + power. Didn't get the slightest reaction out of the phone.

I'm guessing what must have killed it is that last attempt at restoring the phone suggested having re-partition checked.

I think I'll just have to bring it in and see what happens. Maybe I'll try this again in the future with better cables...

Sorry to hear you couldn't bring it back. That sucks!!!

The repartition is a needed step if the partition is corrupted.

I hope you have the insurance on it........;)

ratsttam

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yours isn't the only one that went completely dead. I did what I've done many times prior, and one morning I had it plugged in, shut it down to get into download mode (1+pwr), and it did nothing. Battery got pretty hot when it was plugged into the charger. There was no lights, no screen, no nothing. The sprint tech took it fully apart to see what could have caused it (was never wet, never dropped, not anything more than pocket scratches on the back). Just dead. He gave up and ordered a new one for me.

I don't feel whatever happened to it, was caused by your rooting attempts. Besides, if they can't power it on, they can't tell if you've been rooted or not :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Sprint and TEP insurance has been real good about replacing phones. Especially around OTA update time , they seem to really never question things and if they don't boot and aren't showing any valid signs of rooting which in most cases they aren't they are just replaced.

@ratsttam, sorry for the edit to your post. I pushed the wrong button, nothing was changed in your post.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89