This thing has really grown on me...

anon(522296)

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
So I got my essential last week and really started to like it, then my Note 8 showed up yesterday. Used the Note 8 for a half a day but kept staring at the Essential like it was the pretty girlfriend I kicked to the curb. By last night I switched the sim back to the Essential and it was a breath of fresh air.

It's just the hands free aspect, simplification and speed of just Google works so well it's very dramatic to me. I can ask it almost anything hands free and it does exactly what I want so it's great for driving or when I don't want to be distracted. I used the Google camera app and it takes great pics, so it's pretty much perfect for me. Something about this device does stir something emotional when you use it.

dpackerz

May 21, 2012
Visit site
So I got my essential last week and really started to like it, then my Note 8 showed up yesterday. Used the Note 8 for a half a day but kept staring at the Essential like it was the pretty girlfriend I kicked to the curb. By last night I switched the sim back to the Essential and it was a breath of fresh air.

It's just the hands free aspect, simplification and speed of just Google works so well it's very dramatic to me. I can ask it almost anything hands free and it does exactly what I want so it's great for driving or when I don't want to be distracted. I used the Google camera app and it takes great pics, so it's pretty much perfect for me. Something about this device does stir something emotional when you use it.
Welcome to the dark side. Seems to be very few of us.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
It's really grown on me as well. The build quality is like nothing out there. After looking for reasons to return it for something else, I quickly realized how the alternatives probably won't work any better for my use and in some ways be a downgrade. Other than the lack of headphone jack, the less-is-more approach works well for me. I just wish we had a crystal ball to know how well they recover from the launch.

This morning I had my hands on a Note 8. It's a nice device but didn't impress me enough to want one. About the only alternative I'd consider is a Pixel XL 2, but with it being an LG I'm already reluctant to put it on my list.

Last edited:

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I love this phone for it's build quality, the display and software experience! Yes, there are bugs and I am confident they will be fixed!

Jaymil

Neutronbomb
Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I love the phone but it has me itching for a Mi Mix 2... I switch phones ALOT and I had the Mix for almost half the year last year off and on. I actually had 5 of them... I'd buy one, use it for a month and sell it for a profit, try another phone then end up going back to a mix when I could pick one up at a good price... rinse and repeat.

This phone is like a smaller mix that runs stock android but I find myself missing the 6.4 inch screen size and the huge battery.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm almost again about to put my sim back to the essential, using the Note 8 currently and blows the essential camera in how fast it takes pictures and at the same time great pics in all conditions. But then I pick up the essential and play with it for few minutes, it feels so nice. I think the design of the essential is just great, they nailed it. Feels so nice in the hand and that unique full screen gives it unique look. Just few software quirks and missing night mode (I know app can fix it but man I miss that during night). I have my return requested and almost ready, not sure what to do. My mind is saying just keep it but thinking if it's wise given the troubles with the company. I also have a non working 360 camera sitting. Either I have to return all or exchange the 360 camera.

At this point, not sure what to do because it's perfect size phone. Using my Note 8 it's great in all aspects but the size is little too big. Decisions ... First world problems

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
By the way anyone got the new software update? Build ending with C, I'm still on B. Heard on lastest AC podcast that Andrew got the latest update with September security patch, saw couple of post in Reddit as well mentioning about the update. Wondering anyone else got here, I checked and no update was offered.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
@bhatech Keep in mind that we'll always hear the worst of the worst complaints online. Those who are happy with their devices will rarely join a forum to say how happy they are with their stuff. Forums are where people go for help, advice and to vent about negative experiences. So, using the feedback here can quickly color one's judgment to think that there's a 100% defect rate and the company will be belly-up by tomorrow morning.

Did anyone think One Plus would survive this long? Probably not at the time.

Regarding the Sept update, no, nothing here. Most reviewers received engineering samples so it's possible that their IMEI numbers were flagged to get updates first to try and mitigate even more negative reviews. Hopefully we see it soon. I believe Essential claimed security patches on devices purchased direct would drop OTA within two weeks of their release date from Google.

Last edited:

ChuckG73

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
I love this phone and what Essential is trying to do....putting the camera in the app store was necessary and smart.

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Really enjoying it as well. Build is phenomenal and I haven't had any issues at all other than touch sensitivity which is just a bit of pressure retraining for my fingers after coming from an S8. It's so much faster and more fluid than my S8.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
The One Plus One debuted as a budget device . . .
Cost aside, they had both launch and availability issues with people quickly predicting their doom. It's always the same. Now we even have a thread predicting a price drop and the future of the company. My point remains that the Internet is inherently negative. ;)

Last edited:

unikrn

Sep 10, 2017
Visit site
I really like this phone. I haven't seen hardware this nice since a Vertu. I just hope they can continue to keep the software updated. It's just so much better than Samsung. pixel2 will be the real competition.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I removed some off topic posts. If you want to rant and stuff there are a few other threads that fit that narrative. :).

fernandez21

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I really like the 360 camera too. It definitely needs some optimizations to speed it up, but it's awesome to just hold it up and record and see all the things happening around you, not only do you get what your shooting at, but also everyone's reactions. Of course now I have to be careful of what I'm doing while recording.

njgill05

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I've been quite a fan of this phone since I first opened the box. While I've been a fan of Android since the beginning, and even of the move into Pixel territory, lately the goal seems to become an apple clone which leaves me a bit nonplussed. This is why I really wanted the Essential, it was very stylish and well designed and ran very barebones software. I'm not interested in squeezing my phone, or having everything sync and automate and try to engage me in personal conversation. It's a tool, I want it to do what I tell it and nothing more. That's why I like this phone so much. It's back to basics, but on a gorgeous piece of kit, and very low maintenance.

kodos

Apr 12, 2015
Visit site
I saw a 360 video shot with the camera accessory today. It was pretty good!

My S8 is a nice phone and feels great in hand. However the heavy Samsung layer on top of Android is terrible.

So it is great to have a stock Android option with great build quality.

anon(26204)

May 24, 2010
Visit site
It’s nice to see some posts about what people DO like with this phone.

I went into my local Sprint Store and played with the demo and Phone is nice!!!

But wow, it’s a lot of people returning their Essential Phone and /or bashing it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz