I'm Surprised! The Essential Phone is WAY better than expected!

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I ordered a white PH-1 as soon as the $499 price popped up, I was a little bitter after BestBuy dropped it to $450 but I wasn't charged tax through Essential.com so it cancelled out the price. After much second guessing myself while I waited for it to arrive and wanting to just spend the extra for a V30, I am glad to say it's way better than I expected it to be. Now I do have some minor issues, but it's overall won me over.

Pros:
-Build quality is insane, the white is beautiful and honestly I'll be upset when I have to put the Tudia case on it.
- The overall size is so refreshing after the influx of tall devices and I still get to play in the bezel less crowd.
- The display is so nice and dense, even though it's not the full 2560x1440.
- The support and updates are fantastic to me at least; the Reddit AMAs are useful to keep me in the loop, still waiting on a 8.0 beta news.
- The fact that tons of people don't have it, due to whatever reason, it's different enough.
- The camera, it isn't great and isn't terrible, it's good enough for me and that's what matters.

Now for my dislikes:
- The initial unboxing, I guess the person who put the plastic on the device did so while drinking a Coke and eating some Orange Chicken. It had somewhat still wet droppings on the plastic, but luckily not the phone.
- Also during the boot up it had two dead pixels on the display, one of which has since corrected itself I believe and the other isn't as noticable but I know it's there when I'm on a darker background, but I have to look for it. I put in a request with the support team to resolve.
- There's some stutter or hesitation in some instances where it takes multiple taps or is just slow.
- Also don't love the white paint surrounding the display and connecting antenna bands, I just feel like it'll get dirty and look like most iPhones do.

But overall it's straight up love and adoration for this device and it being universally unlocked made the choice so much easier when Verizon or Sprint are the only carriers I get service with in my workplace.

andrew_ackley

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
I love mine. I got the black one. Make sure for now you disable the swipe down on fps to open notifications bc that was causing my freeze ups. For under $500 this phone is fantastic. Beats the one plus in my opinion. I dropped mine from waist height onto concrete floor the day after I got it and all I have is a TINY almost unnoticeable nick in the material around the screen. Whatever that is surely saved my screen. Glad you like it.

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I love mine. I got the black one. Make sure for now you disable the swipe down on fps to open notifications bc that was causing my freeze ups. For under $500 this phone is fantastic. Beats the one plus in my opinion. I dropped mine from waist height onto concrete floor the day after I got it and all I have is a TINY almost unnoticeable nick in the material around the screen. Whatever that is surely saved my screen. Glad you like it.

Okay I'll definitely look into the FPS thing. The materials it's made from definitely swayed my decision. The OnePlus 5 is a beast but the lack of ATT and TMobile service in my office had me sell mine right after I bought it.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
- Also don't love the white paint surrounding the display and connecting antenna bands, I just feel like it'll get dirty and look like most iPhones do.
That's GFRP (glass fiber reinforced plastic) and not paint. If it does happen to get dirty, clean it with isopropyl alcohol.

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
How is battery life for you?

So since it'll be my first full day with it, I don't have too much to go off of. But I took it off the charger @ 6AM, but almost almost 5 hrs later I'm at 2 hrs Screen On and 65% battery left. I'm not a heavy user, just mostly music and basic stuff since I'm at work.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I just saw some kind of Essential phone at Sprint. It was black and looked really nice. I was impressed. I didn't even know it was capable of cdma bands? Too bad VZW doesn't carry it. Love the looks. of the phone. Just black.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
I just saw some kind of Essential phone at Sprint. It was black and looked really nice. I was impressed. I didn't even know it was capable of cdma bands? Too bad VZW doesn't carry it. Love the looks. of the phone. Just black.
Yes, it works on all four major carriers in the US. Why is it too bad that Verizon doesn't carry it?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it works on all four major carriers in the US. Why is it too bad that Verizon doesn't carry it?
If it were sold by VZW it would have all vzw features. WiFi calling etc. I don't even know if simultaneous talk and browse is possible on this phone in VZW network. It does work on Sprint but due to a special feature Sprint puts on it.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
If it were sold by VZW it would have all vzw features. WiFi calling etc. I don't even know if simultaneous talk and browse is possible on this phone in VZW network. It does work on Sprint but due to a special feature Sprint puts on it.
Doesn't it already have all of the features working on VZW? I thought WiFi Calling worked for other VZW users.

DominionRoofs

Dec 14, 2016
Visit site
Mine will be here by tonight. Cant wait. So how often is your finger not registering when you touch the screen? Thats hopefully something they are aware of and will fix. I really want this to be a phone that i keep until next fall.

gibsonb2

Aug 25, 2017
Visit site
I haven't been able to get WiFi calling to work on Verizon. It doesn't even appear as an option under any of the settings. Only aggravating thing about using the phone. Of course, that is all due to Verizon's unfriendliness towards a phone they don't sell.

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
Mine will be here by tonight. Cant wait. So how often is your finger not registering when you touch the screen? Thats hopefully something they are aware of and will fix. I really want this to be a phone that i keep until next fall.

I think it was first night jitters when I was using it last night as far as not registered touches, because during today it's been insanely responsive. I feel like with their ability and commitment to updates, and hopeful adoption of 3rd party accessories it could be a device I keep until the next model is released.

Darius DuPree

Apr 11, 2016
Visit site
I have read conflicting posts. Wish there were more activity here about this phone.

So I found a way to kinda force certain WiFi calling features, etc. Dial #*#*4636#*#* and it'll open this testing page, go to phone information and in that page towards the middle it'll have like 4 toggles and there will be the desired options. Some might stay enabled some may not. I'm using VZW but through straight talk so I believe it unchecked the toggle. But I don't talk on my phone.

modifier

Jul 13, 2017
Visit site
So I found a way to kinda force certain WiFi calling features, etc. Dial #*#*4636#*#* and it'll open this testing page, go to phone information and in that page towards the middle it'll have like 4 toggles and there will be the desired options. Some might stay enabled some may not. I'm using VZW but through straight talk so I believe it unchecked the toggle. But I don't talk on my phone.
Correction: *#*#4636#*#*

Didn't want anyone unaware of the code to try the wrong code. I use it often for signal strength and tower data.

I don't believe you can force anything with the toggles since provisioning is done carrier-side and not handset-side. They simply show what's provisioned and what isn't. But, maybe it works with VZW? My carrier has all features enabled.