New to the Fossil Q club

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I just wanted to interview myself. I just upgraded from my old Asus ZenWatch 2 to a new Fossil Q Explorist (Gen 3). I saw the blue case with the brown leather band and no flat tire, and I immediately fell in love.

I'm new to the Fossil Q, but I've been using Android Wear for 2 years now. So I'll try to help with questions where I can.

ccf0762518ca9f1e55914860dc5d74f0.jpg

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi! Really interested in this watch. How's the battery life? I'm only going to be using it to check the time and notifications, nothing more. Hope the battery can easily last a day.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
That's pretty much all I use it for: time, checking notifications (including dismissing notifications and deleting email). Sometimes navigation and sometimes controlling music.

I charge it every night. I take it off the charger at around 7am. When I put it back on the charger at around midnight it usually still has around 35% charge left. The only time it's ever died on me is when I've forgotten to charge it.

This is with it set to auto brightness, always on screen, and with wifi turned on. (WiFi was a big battery drain on my old ZenWatch 2.)

Not sure exactly how you'll use it, but it has plenty enough battery life for me.

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
I just bought this when it went on sale for ~$178. I got the silver case with the brown band. I'm new to Android Wear, using it with the S8+. I'm still debating returning it as there a few things I'm concerned about (and maybe I'm looking for validation?).

Google/Android need to get their **** together. Why isn't there a messaging app (SMS) that syncs with my text app on the phone? Why do I have to download one, and end up having TWO messaging apps on my phone. So dumb. I downloaded the Messages app by Google, which of course it forced me to make it the default texting app, and I would have been okay with this except I can't use gifs from my SwiftKey Keyboard (on the phone). It keeps saying "No connection". So I uninstalled it.

Terrible, terrible app support. And maybe I'm doing this wrong, but, when I go to the Play Store on my phone, and I browse the Android Wear category, I try to install an app (CNN for example), but nothing flows over to my watch. This confuses me to no end because I don't understand why it's in the Android Wear category if there isn't a watch app for it? This goes for many other apps I found. I install them on the phone (again, through the Android Wear category), and nothing bleeds over to my watch.

Why aren't there proper apps for things like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Whatsapp, etc?

I guess my gripe is more with Android Wear than Fossil, obviously, and I'm definitely on the edge of returning it.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I just bought this when it went on sale for ~$178. I got the silver case with the brown band. I'm new to Android Wear, using it with the S8+. I'm still debating returning it as there a few things I'm concerned about (and maybe I'm looking for validation?).

Google/Android need to get their **** together. Why isn't there a messaging app (SMS) that syncs with my text app on the phone? Why do I have to download one, and end up having TWO messaging apps on my phone. So dumb. I downloaded the Messages app by Google, which of course it forced me to make it the default texting app, and I would have been okay with this except I can't use gifs from my SwiftKey Keyboard (on the phone). It keeps saying "No connection". So I uninstalled it.

Terrible, terrible app support. And maybe I'm doing this wrong, but, when I go to the Play Store on my phone, and I browse the Android Wear category, I try to install an app (CNN for example), but nothing flows over to my watch. This confuses me to no end because I don't understand why it's in the Android Wear category if there isn't a watch app for it? This goes for many other apps I found. I install them on the phone (again, through the Android Wear category), and nothing bleeds over to my watch.

Why aren't there proper apps for things like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Whatsapp, etc?

I guess my gripe is more with Android Wear than Fossil, obviously, and I'm definitely on the edge of returning it.

You should definitely be receiving SMS message notifications on your watch and be able to reply. When you say that you want something that syncs, do you mean that you want to be able to open the watch app and access old messages? If so, unfortunately you can't because that's not how SMS works. SMS message are delivered to your phone and not stored on any servers. The only service that allows this kind of behavior is Apple's iMessage because it intercepts your texts and uploads them to Apple's servers.

Regarding app support, one big difference between Android Wear 1.x and 2.0 is that you have to install apps directly on the watch. Go to the Play Store app on your watch and you can search for and install app. Also any app on your phone that has Android Wear support won't be installed automatically on your watch, but it will be listed at the bottom of the main Play Store screen to allow quick installation.

You ask "Why aren't there proper apps for things like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Whatsapp, etc?"
I could see What'sApp, but what would you want to do in a Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram watch app? You don't need an app to get notifications. Are you actually trying to browse you feed/timeline?

In general Android Wear isn't trying to put your entire phone on your wrist. I think the assumption is that most people don't want that. Android Wear is trying to give you quick and convenient access to your notifications, including sending a quick message response, basic activities tracking, and Google voice assistant. Anything more than that and they except that you prefer to use your phone.

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
You should definitely be receiving SMS message notifications on your watch and be able to reply. When you say that you want something that syncs, do you mean that you want to be able to open the watch app and access old messages? If so, unfortunately you can't because that's not how SMS works. SMS message are delivered to your phone and not stored on any servers. The only service that allows this kind of behavior is Apple's iMessage because it intercepts your texts and uploads them to Apple's servers.

Regarding app support, one big difference between Android Wear 1.x and 2.0 is that you have to install apps directly on the watch. Go to the Play Store app on your watch and you can search for and install app. Also any app on your phone that has Android Wear support won't be installed automatically on your watch, but it will be listed at the bottom of the main Play Store screen to allow quick installation.

You ask "Why aren't there proper apps for things like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Whatsapp, etc?"
I could see What'sApp, but what would you want to do in a Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram watch app? You don't need an app to get notifications. Are you actually trying to browse you feed/timeline?

In general Android Wear isn't trying to put your entire phone on your wrist. I think the assumption is that most people don't want that. Android Wear is trying to give you quick and convenient access to your notifications, including sending a quick message response, basic activities tracking, and Google voice assistant. Anything more than that and they except that you prefer to use your phone.

Messaging - I downloaded the Messages app, it works perfectly as in it shows my conversations and allows me to compose messages without having to wait for a notification. However, again, I end up having two messages apps on my phone (I'm okay with this, I can disable notifications on one of them and hide it). and as I mentioned earlier, apparently the Messages app by Google doesn't support gifs by SwiftKey or something.

In regards to Whatsapp, I want an app that, again, lets me look at my conversations and compose messages without having to wait for a notification to pop up for me to reply. One time I got a Whatsapp notification and I accidentally swiped it away so I had to pull up my phone to reply when I easily could have done so on my watch.

Also, I just noticed this. The keyboard on the watch doesn't let me type up a message and include an emoji. Why?!

As far as other apps, let me tell you what I like to see and you tell me if it's reasonable, and if there's anything like it right now:

Social media: I'd like to browse timelines. Why can't I read tweets on my watch? Why can't I go through Instagram and Facebook feeds? The screen supports pictures and colors, why can't I browse them?

News: One thing I consistently do on my phone is look at top headlines. Once again, I can't seem to get the CNN app to boot up on my watch, although the app description clearly shows it's Wear enable. Why isn't there a Reddit app where I can also look at the front page posts?

Banking: Why can't banks have apps that show balances? I don't want to my business on my watch, but why can't I get a quick glance of my balances on my watch?

I don't think I'm asking for too much. I don't want Youtube on my watch, I don't even want games. But for some reason, it appears there are more crappy games available for the watch than common sense convenience apps.

Sorry for the long post.

/endrant

mrwallyy

Oct 21, 2013
Visit site
One more thing, when I get a Facebook notification, it sucks. It simply says "John Smith posted on your timeline". It doesn't tell me what they said. Laaaaaaaaaame.

kramer5150

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
Hard to tell from the pics... that black "ring" around the watch dial face, is that permanent?

Does the edge of the OLED display extend all the way out to the steel bezel-ring? It looks like while they got rid of the flat tire, they replaced it with some unused bezel area surrounding the OLED display.... ??

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Hard to tell from the pics... that black "ring" around the watch dial face, is that permanent?

Does the edge of the OLED display extend all the way out to the steel bezel-ring? It looks like while they got rid of the flat tire, they replaced it with some unused bezel area surrounding the OLED display.... ??
Yeah. That's exactly what they did. They Incorporated the light sensor into a black bezel instead of a flat tire. Sure I'd prefer neither, but the bezel is a MUCH better solution than the flat tire, in my opinion.

Just for perspective, the full diameter of the face is about 39mm. The black bezel is 2.5mm.

fredd17

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
super excited to get the watch... bought it at best buy on Monday wont be available for pick up till Friday I currently use the Huawei watch first gen. nothing wrong with the watch just like this design and want to upgrade. ☺ I also got my wife the fossil Q venture (rose gold) should arrive next week she currently has the moto 360 womens... ☺