UI and hardware issues?

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I just got a fossil Q wander (Gen 2) and its my first android wear device since my original Moto 360. Now, I LOVED the moto 360 (running the first version of AW) and now that I'm on AW 2.0 on this watch I....have some question.

1) Notification grouping is gone? I now see every email I get listed individually instead of "Email + 6 more". This is....awful. I get so many emails through work that are just calendar invite updates and now ALL of these are on my watch face that I have to scroll through and dismiss to see anything.

2) Everything is so slow....I don't know if this is a AW2.0 thing or a Fossil thing but even just swiping up to see my first notification or going to the app drawer will take like 3-5 seconds or the scrolling will lag significantly. Is this normal?

3) Wrist motions were always a breeze to navigate with on my Moto 360. It feels like they work 40% of the time now.

4) Visually the all-grey look of 2.0 is so hard to look at. In the previous version I could so easily tell what each notification was in a heartbeat because of a vast color difference rather than just the tiny icon in the middle. Are there any apps or mods that can make it look this way?

5) Okay maybe i'm going crazy but the dial on the side of the watch REALLY looks like it's supposed to turn...but it doesn't? Mine is definitely stuck in place. It seems like it would be so much faster to navigate the menus if it would spin, and it makes the button on the side so much harder to depress all the way.

Any help on any of these points is SO much appreciated!

EDIT: I seem to be unable to post a new message because I made the mistake of posing this as a "question" instead of a thread. But my watch is Gen 2

Last edited:

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I just got a fossil Q wander and its my first android wear device since my original Moto 360. Now, I LOVED the moto 360 (running the first version of AW) and now that I'm on AW 2.0 on this watch I....have some question.

1) Notification grouping is gone? I now see every email I get listed individually instead of "Email + 6 more". This is....awful. I get so many emails through work that are just calendar invite updates and now ALL of these are on my watch face that I have to scroll through and dismiss to see anything.

2) Everything is so slow....I don't know if this is a AW2.0 thing or a Fossil thing but even just swiping up to see my first notification or going to the app drawer will take like 3-5 seconds or the scrolling will lag significantly. Is this normal?

3) Wrist motions were always a breeze to navigate with on my Moto 360. It feels like they work 40% of the time now.

4) Visually the all-grey look of 2.0 is so hard to look at. In the previous version I could so easily tell what each notification was in a heartbeat because of a vast color difference rather than just the tiny icon in the middle. Are there any apps or mods that can make it look this way?

5) Okay maybe i'm going crazy but the dial on the side of the watch REALLY looks like it's supposed to turn...but it doesn't? Mine is definitely stuck in place. It seems like it would be so much faster to navigate the menus if it would spin, and it makes the button on the side so much harder to depress all the way.

Any help on any of these points is SO much appreciated!

1) I 100% agree

2) So Fossil Q is their whole line of Android Wear watches. Do you know what one you have, specifically what generation? Gen 3 just came out. My Gen 3 is MUCH faster than my old Asus ZenWatch 2 (which was very slow)

3) Not sure. I know Google has de-emphasized gestures in AW2.0. They still have up and down (the twist ones), but got rid of left and right (the move your wrist up and down ones). Honestly I don't really use them.

4) I see what you're saying, but I don't know if there's a solution.

5) Again, what Gen do you have. The Gen 3 are definitely supposed to spin. Not sure about the earlier ones.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
1)

2) So Fossil Q is their whole line of Android Wear watches. Do you know what one you have, specifically what generation? Gen 3 just came out. My Gen 3 is MUCH faster than my old Asus ZenWatch 2 (which was very slow)

This is a Gen2 ! I didn't even see Gen3 on amazon unless it was that brand new watch they just released last week.

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
Actually I'm going to add a #6 as well:

6) The watch is SO SLOW to charge. My old moto 360 could be dead and I'd put it on the charger for 15 minutes and get it to 60% of so. Ive had this thing on the charger for over an hour and it's only gone up 40% so far...

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
Actually I'm going to add a #6 as well:

6) The watch is SO SLOW to charge. My old moto 360 could be dead and I'd put it on the charger for 15 minutes and get it to 60% of so. Ive had this thing on the charger for over an hour and it's only gone up 40% so far...
I don't have any direct experience with the gen 2. This is what I have and I'm very happy with it so far. Fossil Gen 3 Smartwatch - Q Explorist Luggage Leather FTW4004 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074G2DH9...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6080577

Shadnic

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any direct experience with the gen 2. This is what I have and I'm very happy with it so far. Fossil Gen 3 Smartwatch - Q Explorist Luggage Leather FTW4004 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074G2DH9...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU6081632

I got in touch with Amazon about returning the watch I have because....I just do not like it enough or feel that it is functional enough to use daily.

Looks like fossil is having a black friday sale so the gen3 are as little as $179 or so. You said the button does rotate and such right? I'm considering...

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I got in touch with Amazon about returning the watch I have because....I just do not like it enough or feel that it is functional enough to use daily.

Looks like fossil is having a black friday sale so the gen3 are as little as $179 or so. You said the button does rotate and such right? I'm considering...
Yeah. On the Gen 3 the button definitely rotates, and there's no flat tire (i.e. fully round screen). I can't compare speed to what you're experiencing now, but I find it to be fast enough.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty