Samsung 8GB 5" Touch Screen Android Galaxy Player WiFi- White/Bla

stanlm2

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: Samsung 8GB 5" Touch Screen Android Galaxy Player WiFi- White

Just received mine from amazon. This would be the perfect size for a phone, large enough to mix in some tablet uses, small enough to fit the pant pocket.
I haven't played with it much yet, but I think 4.3 is going to feel like 3.5 when I last knew where my ipod touch was.

nickmiller71

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

haha, I totally agree. there needs to be a dedicated forum for this thing! it's an incredibly capable device.

stanlm2

May 2, 2011
Visit site

Yes, can we get a forum for this? under samsung tablet? or maybe some generic android ipod touch devices..

vferrari

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site

+1 for the separate sub-forum category request Thx.

BTW - I have both the Woot Froyo version and the newly released US GB version of the Galaxy Player 5.0 WifI. Besides the redesigned touch sensitive home button (of which I like the original "hard button" design better because you can use it to wake the device rather than the power button which is your only option with the new design, the former is more convenient when the player is in a car cradle, for example), the new US version of the player has some different icons notably on the FM Radio app and possibly a few different native apps. Hardware benchmarks the same for both using AnTuTu. Quadrant gives screwy results for the GB version (double the score, doesn't make sense). Finally, I noticed that the native media player version on the GB version is missing some of the more advanced equalizer and ambiance settings that are on he Woot Froyo version of the player. Bottom line is that I prefer the Woot Froyo player version over the US version even with GB on the US version (and its ever so slightly snappier response).

Last edited:

DataPath

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

I have the 4" version and am wishing for a subforum for these devices, as well.

beantown

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site

I got my Galaxy Player 5 inch for Christmas, and personally I love it. It's perfect size to play games, and watching videos. It's my first Samsung Android based device, but I'm not new to Android, my current phone is the Motorola Photon 4G and former phone the HTC EVO 4G...

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I also just got a Galaxy Player 5.0... I have had several 7"-8" tablets, but have returned them all due to lack of being impressed. I dont think this will be going back: I LOVE this thing! Its like a miniture tablet!

Sent from my YP-G70 using Tapatalk

Reactions: trooperoutlaw

trooperoutlaw

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys think this would be a good first android device? I have an iPad and an iPhone but would like to dip my toes into the Android water. I played with the 5.0 at Best Buy yesterday and was impressed that video playing on the device looked so good. Didn't get to browse the web or playback music. I have the iPad so no need for a larger tablet.

I would use this in the car, at the gym and around the house for a media type player - music, podcasts, etc.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shaunm82

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site

I agree on the size. I also have the 5.0" and I think that the 5" form factor is perfect for a phone! I have the EVO 4G also, and it just seems so small when I go back and forth between the two.

trooperoutlaw

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
With the galaxy player 4.2 upcoming, any reason to get the 5.0 over the 4.2 other than screen size? any other specs that make the 4.2 better? #samsung

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whiteshadow001

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

I think we should have a sub forum for android MP3 players since so many are starting to hit the market. Sony, Phillips, Samsung, and Cowon have alot of offerings in terms of MP3 players that run android.

kcarter3#AC

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site

anyone having problem with it when you turn it off then it turns rt back on?

ppomber

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site

Hi I got my SGP 5.0 a couple of months ago and its great so far...just a few
issues. I am new to android...anyone know where I can get the best
advice on basic functions? I also need help with my SGP. Any help
would be great, thanks