Music freedom and google play music

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Not according to T-mobile

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 using Tapatalk.

Its been like this for a few months, supposedly, its because of the music licenses, basically. It doesn't Make sense to me.. But it had to do something about personal cloud based music.

Posted via Android Central App

Fuzzy761210

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Seems like the ultimate test would be to see if you get throttled after going over the data plan using google play music.

So the experiment would need to have at least 2 people try two different "types" of music on google play. I would say more people that try it the better. when you go over your data plan, tell us what happens, does your normal data usage get throttled?

1. All access music(paid version) someone one need to make a huge playlist or use the radio station
2. Personally uploaded music to google play.
3. All access subscriber that listens to personal and all access music mixed together.

To anyone wanting to try this, please clear your cache in the settings, so it increases data usage. the best way to do it is before you go to bed turn on the music you want and turn the volume down and let it eat all night. I do this from time to time to my AT&T "unlimited" data plan when a reach the 5gig a month throttled ceiling, Just out of spite.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
There's nothing to test. T-mobile says it's all under music freedom. So if it is counted then they need to fix something.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing to test. T-mobile says it's all under music freedom. So if it is counted then they need to fix something.

Where do they explicitly say it is all covered? I only ask because .. they could just be bad at displaying this information since every other streaming service is ONLY a streaming service .. but Google has this little addition unlike the others .. and if they didn't add it .. It could very well become confusing for users.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
In the T-mobile support thread I linked to earlier in this thread.

I sure hope they're right for others sake.

Reps have been known to give misinformation so I sometimes take what they say lightly.

rrballer11

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Where do they explicitly say it is all covered? I only ask because .. they could just be bad at displaying this information since every other streaming service is ONLY a streaming service .. but Google has this little addition unlike the others .. and if they didn't add it .. It could very well become confusing for users.

I agree.

Posted via Android Central App

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
In experiments in my last billing cycle, there was clearly a charge against my data for streamed music. I called TMO today, not having heard from them, and asked them again to follow up.

Their manager said I should go ahead stream over the next few days and he'll check in Monday and we'll see what is happening--but he, too, thought stored music was covered.

I did stream some music today and the music streamed an hour ago has not really used data. Maybe something has already been fixed! However, it does take some time to update and refresh , he told me. So I'll see what it says tomorrow. (EDIT--only nominal amounts of data used, so streaming did not affect data usage)

And if I get a definitive answer, I'll post that as well. He did say there were other complaints along these lines. Either they are not describing the process well, or they have made a mistake and not hooked in all of Google Play to their Music freedom play. Something's wrong--I suspect something is going to be fixed. Whether that works to our advantage or not remains to be seen.

Last edited:

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I got the promised follow up to my second call.

As noted, after that second call, suddenly data was no longer being charged to my account when I streamed my own, stored music from Google Play. Somebody, I think, fixed something!

--The tech who followed up said it was his understanding that all music from the Google Play app, including stored music owned by the user, was included in the music freedom plan. He said he still hadn't gotten official clarification on that, but it sure seemed that way and the fix to my own issue seems consistent with that understanding.

--He said several others experienced what I experienced. It may well be that TMO did something wrong in counting stored music and that they have now fixed it when some people like me complained.

--He said he'd follow up if there was an issue.

--Finally, I do note even now that after using Google Play to stream, say, 160megs, that a meg or two--not much more--is lodged against my data. That's minor, but he said the Music Freedom only includes actual streaming of music. If G=play is downloading playlists, photos, etc, that's going to count against data. My own experience so far is that it is not much of a charge--just a meg or two every time I do some major streaming. I can live with that.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
I have unlimited high speed but I've found that my data usage doesn't quite add up since they made Google Play Music free. Last month T-Mobile reported that I used 10.75GB of data. My phone reports 14.58GB with 7.66GB being Google Play Music. All of this was from the All Access library, not my uploaded music. I understand that they only give you the actual music streams for free and not the metadata, but this would mean that half of my Play Music data usage was counted which seems a bit unreasonable.

Since I have unlimited anyway I haven't really bothered to look further into it, but I could definitely see if being an issue for people with limited high-speed data because it doesn't seem to be accurate.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Streamed a cd last night--wound up with about a 15+ meg charge! Now,the actual streaming was no doubt more than that, without question. The whole CD is about 100 megs as ripped and uploaded to G-play. But 15 megs as an afterthought for streaming 1 classical CD is a bit much. Either something is still wrong (if you stream a 94meg CD, what does that count--is there some compression?) or G-play does lots of things in the background that still eat up some data.

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
Google play streaming is included in the music freedom. I streamed about 300 songs during my time with the LG G3 all stores on Google's servers using Google play.
In theory it should have been about 1.5gb-2gb. I only saw the data move maybe about 100MB. Whether that was google play or something else is a different matter didn't bother tracking.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Google play streaming is included in the music freedom. I streamed about 300 songs during my time with the LG G3 all stores on Google's servers using Google play.
In theory it should have been about 1.5gb-2gb. I only saw the data move maybe about 100MB. Whether that was google play or something else is a different matter didn't bother tracking.

That is indeed the type of thing I'm seeing and I do think most of that is from G-play somehow. I don't use streaming THAT much so I can't say I care that much. But considering that I have a 1gb data plan, if I were using 100 megs--about 10%-- of it per month just for that one thing, it would still be something I'd have to keep an eye on, or I'd have to buy more data. Some months I use very little data because I'm working from home a lot and always on wifi. I have plenty of headroom. Others months, I'm out and about and pushing close to the limit.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
So I'm about halfway through my next billing cycle and things are looking better now. My phone is reporting 7.69GB with 2.85GB of that being Google Play Music. T-Mobile is showing 4.63GB. I played around a little with Rdio and Spotify (about 200MB total) so I think that explains why t-mobile is a little under this month.

Maybe there were some early glitches with it that are now resolved?