Music freedom and google play music

Fuzzy761210

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I'm not currently a T mobile customer but I am reading up and I do have a question that I can't seem to find the answer.

So if you are subscribing to google play music all access, there are basically 3 "sources" you music can be

1-music available via all access(radio, simply searching, etc...)
2-music you own but the google upload program found the match and adds it you'r library.
3-music you own but google doesn't have it, so you uploaded it to the google servers.

Now my understanding is that music freedom covers #1 and it doesn't cover #3 but what does #2 fall under. Technically, if I didn't have the google upload program scan my library and I just manually added them via all access it would be covered. On the flip side, I can listen to #2 & #3 without paying for all access.

I would think T-mobile would find it difficult to know where the data is being used as playlist could have a mixture of all 3 sources.

Can anyone test #2 and see if this counts for data if you are a all access subscriber, for me this would mean going from a 3gig plan to the 5 gig.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
According to the verbiage available from T-Mobile it should cover all streaming from Google Play Music, since it doesn't specify "All Access Only" anywhere. I posted a question in their support forums asking for confirmation but there have been no replies yet.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
According to the verbiage available from T-Mobile it should cover all streaming from Google Play Music, since it doesn't specify "All Access Only" anywhere. I posted a question in their support forums asking for confirmation but there have been no replies yet.

When it came out, that was not true. I must've missed the announcement, but that's awesome. If I can stream my own music from Google Play, I really don't need much of a data plan.

However, their streaming FAQ still says:

"What about music stored on a cloud?
Music Freedom only includes licensed music streaming apps (such as Spotify); it does NOT include music downloads or listening to music on your cloud."

Last edited:

zhris

Oct 13, 2014
Visit site
When it came out, that was not true. I must've missed the announcement, but that's awesome. If I can stream my own music from Google Play, I really don't need much of a data plan.

However, their streaming FAQ still says:

"What about music stored on a cloud?
Music Freedom only includes licensed music streaming apps (such as Spotify); it does NOT include music downloads or listening to music on your cloud."

See, I'm reading that as music you have stored on Google Drive or Dropbox or something; if T-Mobile simply whitelists the app, it really shouldn't know (or care) the source of the music, as long as it's playing from that app. Hopefully we'll get some clarification soon.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
Just tried it. I streamed a CD. It was stored on Google Play. My data use immediately jumped up about a hundred and fifty megs. ...

Posted via the Android Central App

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
As measured where?

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z3 using Tapatalk.

On T-mobile's My T-Mobile App (refreshed, and I actually went to the web page it takes you to, I didn't just look at the summary in Notifications, which often only refreshes once in a blue moon...)

I put in a call to them just this morning. They said they would get back to me. I'll let everyone know what happens.

Fuzzy761210

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
On T-mobile's My T-Mobile App (refreshed, and I actually went to the web page it takes you to, I didn't just look at the summary in Notifications, which often only refreshes once in a blue moon...)

I put in a call to them just this morning. They said they would get back to me. I'll let everyone know what happens.

any update?

RandelG

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I have had T Mobile for about 1 year and exclusively use Google all access. Be Careful and remember that your usage as displayed on a my t-mobile account is not the actual usage that t-mobile shows in their system. I found this out by going to a tmobile store and discovered that the my T Mobile usage did not include any streaming services. meaning that I was actually using much less of my mobile (which is unlimited by the way and parentheses so that) my tmobile website is not an accurate accounting of your data usage.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I have had T Mobile for about 1 year and exclusively use Google all access. Be Careful and remember that your usage as displayed on a my t-mobile account is not the actual usage that t-mobile shows in their system. I found this out by going to a tmobile store and discovered that the my T Mobile usage did not include any streaming services. meaning that I was actually using much less of my mobile (which is unlimited by the way and parentheses so that) my tmobile website is not an accurate accounting of your data usage.

My experience is different. My phones data meter pretty much mirrors my T-Mobile data usage on the site.

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
My experience is different. My phones data meter pretty much mirrors my T-Mobile data usage on the site.

I hope so....otherwise it makes the Android app kinda useless.

But I just checked the T-mobile website and it has exactly what my Android My T-Mobile app has (after the latter was refreshed) and ALSO show the 150 megs or so of data I streamed in playing Google music.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The response you quoted and hyperlinked was unambiguous. (Although her response may yet prove to be wrong..) The TMO rep to whom I spoke thought it was clear, too, and had no explanation.

I would assume it took them some time to reply because they escalated internally to verify. There's no way they would have posted something that unambiguous unless it was Oked by someone higher than a T-Force rep.