Android read onlys my sd card

Shjacks55

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
Android (Samsung, Pie) read onlys my sd card. It says it does to protect me, but Android is stupid. Most sd cards are formatted fat32. Dumb Android doesn't know fat32 4GB file size limit. Android thinks the file allocation table is corrupted. Is there a fix for this Android/linux bug? Will Samsung provide an update? Seems Android issue as desktop Ubuntu file manager tells me the space on destination won't fit and simply stops operation.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Can you clarify what you're saying? First of all, which Samsung phone do you have? Second, are you saying that the phone will only read certain SD cards, but not others? Is it the FAT32 SD cards that it can't read? Or are you saying that the phone won't copy over a file that's >4 GB in size to the SD card?

What app is telling you it's protecting you? Is it a notification that appears?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Android (Samsung, Pie) read onlys my sd card. It says it does to protect me, but Android is stupid. Most sd cards are formatted fat32. Dumb Android doesn't know fat32 4GB file size limit. Android thinks the file allocation table is corrupted. Is there a fix for this Android/linux bug? Will Samsung provide an update? Seems Android issue as desktop Ubuntu file manager tells me the space on destination won't fit and simply stops operation.
"Android (Samsung, Pie) read onlys my sd card. It says it does to protect me"

What do you mean by this ?

Shjacks55

Oct 2, 2020
Visit site
After trying to move a 4GB+ file, OK in Android internal storage, to microSD card (commercially sold as fat32 format) in Samsung A10e phone I recieve a message that the "system" detected errors on the card and was making it "read only" (sorry to use it as a verb) by writing to the system area of the SD card. This is after a long wait. Desktop linux, IOS (usb), Win10(device), Win10, all give me "not enough room in destination" error immediately i.e. system aware of fat32 limitations. Does this happen only in Samsung phones? An error in Android, do other non-samsung Android devices get this problem? Is there/will there be a fix?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
After trying to move a 4GB+ file, OK in Android internal storage, to microSD card (commercially sold as fat32 format) in Samsung A10e phone I recieve a message that the "system" detected errors on the card and was making it "read only" (sorry to use it as a verb) by writing to the system area of the SD card. This is after a long wait. Desktop linux, IOS (usb), Win10(device), Win10, all give me "not enough room in destination" error immediately i.e. system aware of fat32 limitations. Does this happen only in Samsung phones? An error in Android, do other non-samsung Android devices get this problem? Is there/will there be a fix?
It would have to be formated , fat32 doesn't handle large file sizes as good

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You could try formatting the card as exFAT on your computer, since at least some Samsung phones support that.

Is your phone rooted?