Questions about Samsung Smart Switch app

JaggerX

Dec 15, 2020
Visit site
First post on this forum and hope I have it in the right place.

I have a Moto G7 and in June of this year used the Smart Switch to transfer phone data from my G4 to the G7. Everything worked fine and in the process, a copy of the backup file (SMS-YYYYMMDDxxxxxx.xml) appeared on my Google Drive. It's still there.

My G7 has now been reset and I'd like to restore the data that existed in June. I have the Smart Switch app installed on the G7.

1. Can the restore I'd like to do be done with the existing SMS...xml file on my Google Drive or must the restore be done via a transfer with the G4 (which I still have)? In other words, when launched, sill the Smart Switch app on the G7 ask me if I'd like to restore from a backup file on my Google Drive ??

2. What exactly is likely to be IN the SMS...xml file? The 'SMS' part of the name implies messages only, but I believe, when the transfer was made in June, I requested the whole enchilada (i.e., everything that could be transferred).
Wouldn't photos be in there ???

3. Will the restored Messages and Contacts data be merged with existing data on my G7 ??

4. Is there any easy way to interrogate the SMS...xml backup file to see what's in there ??

These seem like FAQs but have seen them addressed nowhere.

Any help is appreciated.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to AC! You've made it one step further than many - you registered so you can track your post/question and come back to reply!

Firstly - can you clarify which app you used? Samsung's SmartSwitch app will only work if a Samsung device is the destination, as you have two Motorola devices this simply shouldn't have been possible.

This isn't really the place for this, this is more for developers to post about their apps. Maybe @B. Diddy or @mustang7757 can move it, maybe General Help & how to?

JaggerX

Dec 15, 2020
Visit site
Hallux wrote: "Firstly - can you clarify which app you used? Samsung's SmartSwitch app will only work if a Samsung device is the destination, as you have two Motorola devices this simply shouldn't have been possible."

You'll have to trust me - the SmartSwitch app worked fine with my Moto phones. While SmartSwitch is a Samsung app, it works on ALL Android devices.

OK, now that we have that out of the way, is anyone familiar enough w/ SmartSwitch to please answer my questions?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hallux wrote: "Firstly - can you clarify which app you used? Samsung's SmartSwitch app will only work if a Samsung device is the destination, as you have two Motorola devices this simply shouldn't have been possible."

You'll have to trust me - the SmartSwitch app worked fine with my Moto phones. While SmartSwitch is a Samsung app, it works on ALL Android devices.

OK, now that we have that out of the way, is anyone familiar enough w/ SmartSwitch to please answer my questions?
Try using the smart switch app between g4 to the newer device and see if it transfers , I've only done this from Samsung to other devices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rabruslik