please help!! deleted text message question!

edgyboihours

Mar 30, 2021
Visit site
okay so i just deleted some texts and video/picture attachments off of my messages (even from trash where it says permanently delete), and i was wondering if those deleted messages would show up on my new phone that i’m getting in a month? my ex and i wanted to delete this stuff from both of our phones.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Who's your provider and where? Some will resync X days if you are only switching phones, as well as your internal backup settings, and possibly cloud settings. And also the same on your exes.
Bottom line, it never goes away from everything.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
okay so i just deleted some texts and video/picture attachments off of my messages (even from trash where it says permanently delete), and i was wondering if those deleted messages would show up on my new phone that i’m getting in a month? my ex and i wanted to delete this stuff from both of our phones.
Hi, welcome to AC!
Once you permanently delete them shouldn't come back.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Depending on your carrier, they may be retrieved. Sorry to disagree. I've had tmobile repopulate my new phone with deleted threads within their window when swapping.
Attached is something I found quickly with a Google search describing Verizons retrieval ability. See the whole article for more info. Good luck. Screenshot_20210401-220320_Brave.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Depending on your carrier, they may be retrieved. Sorry to disagree. I've had tmobile repopulate my new phone with deleted threads within their window when swapping.
Attached is something I found quickly with a Google search describing Verizons retrieval ability. See the whole article for more info. Good luck. View attachment 333164
Didn't know Verizon can do that , thanks for pointing that out , then yes carrier and which message app would need to know from OP

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Really? I don't think so.

Yes, that is how databases work. Old space from deleted records eventually gets recycled into new data. Just like the file system eventually recycles deleted file space into new files.

However, when setting up a new phone, your carrier may download some old text messages to your phone that you had previously deleted from your phone, depending on the carrier.

methodman89

Feb 5, 2018
Visit site
Depending on the type of storage, it will get full, and you would need to delete files to make space. In this thread, the op is not dealing with a memory overwrite situation.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Re: Question about deleted texts/backups.

(i posted earlier but realized i hadn’t subscribed to the thread) anyways i wanted to know how long Google cloud/drive keeps deleted text messages. I deleted a whole text convo between my ex and I then backed up the phone. I’m getting a new phone soon and don’t want that convo on the new device. will I be good?

[Merged you back to your orginal thread ]

edgyboihours

Mar 30, 2021
Visit site
so since the phone will still be used and new data is put on it, that text conversation will stay deleted from both this device and the new one? sorry i’m not too familiar with all of this stuff lol.

edgyboihours

Mar 30, 2021
Visit site
thanks for all the help, i should’ve stated in my OP that i backed up the phone after deleting it, when you get a new phone they only use your most recent backup right?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12