Why do i have 2 sdcard folders?

pepsishine

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
one is clearly the folder for my actual sdcard (sdcard2) and the other (sdcard) seems to be where all my apps and downloads go. this creates an unreliability being that the phones sdcard folder isnt connected to my removable card and thus making backups useless.

is there anyway to fix this problem? ive searched this forum and didnt get a related answer.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
First, what kind of phone do you have? They all have different specs and no on can give you a correct answer without knowing. Second, have you searched the specific forum for your phone?

That being said, it could either be that your phone's internal storage is partitioned (more likely) or that your SD card is partitioned.

pepsishine

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
First, what kind of phone do you have? They all have different specs and no on can give you a correct answer without knowing. Second, have you searched the specific forum for your phone?

That being said, it could either be that your phone's internal storage is partitioned (more likely) or that your SD card is partitioned.

Htc amaze 4g

How do unpartition it?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site

I'd agree with this. Seems like frequently internal storage is partitioned. Part for OS and part for apps. Your SD being partitioned wouldn't really make any sense. I mean, if you format the SD card in your computer, then put it into your phone, it wouldn't have any partitions and would work fine. My SD card has no partitions either.

Have you tried accessing the SD card in your computer? If you have a micro SD slot in your computer, or, a USB SD card reader, try giving it a shot and see how many partitions mount. My guess is it'll be just one. If not, you could copy the data somewhere, format it to one partition, then put the data back and you should be good.

pepsishine

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd agree with this. Seems like frequently internal storage is partitioned. Part for OS and part for apps. Your SD being partitioned wouldn't really make any sense. I mean, if you format the SD card in your computer, then put it into your phone, it wouldn't have any partitions and would work fine. My SD card has no partitions either.

Have you tried accessing the SD card in your computer? If you have a micro SD slot in your computer, or, a USB SD card reader, try giving it a shot and see how many partitions mount. My guess is it'll be just one. If not, you could copy the data somewhere, format it to one partition, then put the data back and you should be good.

the problem is that the sdcard folder that all my apps are getting moved to is part of internal storage, not my actual sd card. which i spent 100 dollars on and its becoming pretty useless.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
the problem is that the sdcard folder that all my apps are getting moved to is part of internal storage, not my actual sd card. which i spent 100 dollars on and its becoming pretty useless.

How many apps do you have? I haven't had any issue with space with all the apps I have installed. If you are having space issues and have tons of apps installed, make sure you really need them all installed. I do phone maintenance weekly, and, part of it is to uninstall apps that I installed, thought I might use, but, don't really. Or, games that I'm done playing, or, didn't like.

That being said, if you don't have a lot of apps installed, and, space isn't an issue, why do you want to move your apps to the SD card? It's not really necessary. If you have a large SD card, that's great. It'll be useful for putting movies, pictures, music, etc. on, but, I can't see using it for anything else. That's all I really use my SD card for.

Additionally, there are apps out there that should facilitate a move to SD. I'm not sure if you are using one already and it's not working, or, if it would still put them in the wrong folder, but, might be worth a shot.

pepsishine

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
How many apps do you have? I haven't had any issue with space with all the apps I have installed. If you are having space issues and have tons of apps installed, make sure you really need them all installed. I do phone maintenance weekly, and, part of it is to uninstall apps that I installed, thought I might use, but, don't really. Or, games that I'm done playing, or, didn't like.

That being said, if you don't have a lot of apps installed, and, space isn't an issue, why do you want to move your apps to the SD card? It's not really necessary. If you have a large SD card, that's great. It'll be useful for putting movies, pictures, music, etc. on, but, I can't see using it for anything else. That's all I really use my SD card for.

Additionally, there are apps out there that should facilitate a move to SD. I'm not sure if you are using one already and it's not working, or, if it would still put them in the wrong folder, but, might be worth a shot.
im using apps 2 sd to move my apps. but it doesnt really work since its only moving my apps over to the sdcard folder on my internal storage.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
im using apps 2 sd to move my apps. but it doesnt really work since its only moving my apps over to the sdcard folder on my internal storage.

Okay, I mean, I kinda figure that. But, that being said, I still made two other valid points in the previous two paragraphs that you didn't address.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the world of file managers.

Wish these a-holes, would settle on a naming convention.

SD, External, External1, Mnt, MntInt, and the list goes on.... Why, when they write an app, they can't label (which they can) Internal as "Internal" and an sd card as "external SD" or "SD", I really do not know.

Geeze, like it's rocket science or something. Just settle on one naming convention.

Blow me down and call me shorty...

terry_89

Jul 21, 2016
Visit site
i have same question too, all my pictures saved to sdcard1, then suddenly some pictures saved to sdcard2 automatically. When i removed my sdcard to another phone, all pictures in sdcard2 gone..in fact, theres no sdcard2 at all..the phone only detect sdcard1.. tried to use the usb cable n connect to the computer, its doesnt work as well..helppppp