So a scary thing happened today...

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I had to access the Desktop version of a website to answer a question for someone. In order to do that, I cleared all website cookies via a browser. When I did that, I saw that Google had retained the list of my search history - EVEN AFTER I SET THIS OFF.

I'm now seriously wondering, are there any Android devices which are specifically optimized to work WITHOUT Gapps? I'm seriously thinking about ending my relationship with Google, the amount of control they have over YOUR data is ridiculous!

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk 2

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You approved it. This was a topic awhile back.

To turn it off, go to google on your phone at the bottom of the page you will see your email address and right under it, you will see settings. Tap that and the first box is where you change it so that it does not collect your info.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

To turn it off, go to google on your phone at the bottom of the page you will see your email address and right under it, you will see settings. Tap that and the first box is where you change it so that it does not collect your info.

Ok thanks for that but doesn't Google make enough money on advertising? The answer is yes, but according to Wall Street and capitalism no. They have to squeeze more and more money out of their users. They used to abide by Dont be evil, but not anymore. Thats why I seriously hope a more free search engine will arise

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site

No wait a second Pizzadude. I think I misunderstood your post, and you misunderstood mine. What I meant was I DID go to Settings and turned off Save My Searches and all that. Then when I cleared cookies to browse in Desktop mode, I saw that all my search history had been retained! In other words, when you clear cookies for Googles site, all your info is still there. That is whats scary!

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't Onion browser do that? I could be mistaken

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Onion browser does technically mask that, but its much slower because traffic is routed thru so many places. My demand is for Google to stop this!

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Ok thanks for that but doesn't Google make enough money on advertising? The answer is yes, but according to Wall Street and capitalism no.

If you were a shareholder in Google (like me), that question would be easy to answer, and it's NO! MAKE MORE MONEY! Similar to how I own Apple stock, and Apple can never make enough money either. In fact, I don't own stock in any company I think shouldn't try to make more money.

I sometimes wonder if people understand capitalism or basic economics. What on God's Green Earth would make anyone think a company (publicly traded or not) should just say "well, we make enough money..."

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know why the search bar ignores the save settings, but this is something you can clear too. It seems that the search bar keeps its own history.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the search bar list is stored locally by the browser in something like a form auto-fill database, not on google servers.

OK OK I AM AN IDIOT THEN

Lol :)

Idk the slightest about Google servers, I just posted something as it happened and my gut reaction. Thata essentially it. You guys corrected my misperceptions, thank you.

And to the shareholder guy, that is whats wrong with America, you dope. Corporate greed

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Google retains practically everything, even if cookies/cache are cleared on the device or browser. There was a great documentary shown on MSNBC about Google and search. Everything you input into that search toolbar is forever saved.

If you are trying to forgo Google applications the Market has plenty of alternatives, including search: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...oft.bing&feature=search_result&token=_cHerzw1

Ricky Babalu

BEACH BUM
Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok thanks for that but doesn't Google make enough money on advertising? The answer is yes, but according to Wall Street and capitalism no. They have to squeeze more and more money out of their users. They used to abide by Dont be evil, but not anymore. Thats why I seriously hope a more free search engine will arise

Try using "Duck Duck Go"

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Browser history isn't kept in cookie files, so clearing cookies doesn't clear browser history. Pilot error. (You expected something to happen that doesn't happen.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaee