HELP!! Bought Rooted Virgin Mobile phone

itsavasmommy

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I bought a virgin mobile phone today, the LG Optimus V and its rooted, so when i went to activate my number to it i couldnt. I dont know much about this stuff, but i can tinkle a little bit. Really need some help on how to go about this or what to do. thanks!

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
When you booted up the phone, had they done a factory reset? As in, did it ask for you to enter your gmail address and password the first time it booted up? If not, you probably want to do a factory reset and then it'll ask you for your Google information.

iheartic3

Jan 7, 2012
Visit site
You could reflash the phone to stock firmware. Here is some firmware I found with a simple google search: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/268356-rom-stock-virgin.html You need to JUST download the firmware and put it in the sdcard on the root directory. Next you boot into recovery (sorry I don't know what recovery is running most likely CWM). You do this by turning the phone off and holding the volume down + power button until you see an Android and a box. The recovery menu will come up and you need to scroll with the volume buttons and use the power button to select (if I'm wrong someone correct me I don't have this phone) Delete system data/Factory reset (confirm it). Next you select Wipe /cache partition and confirm. Next, you need to go to advanced and select wipe dalvik cache, and confirm. Next, go to install zip from sdcard and chose the file you placed on the sdcard earlier and select it. The phone will start the flashing process. Once it is done go back to the main recovery menu and select reboot system. You're done, activate.

Sent from my LG-VM751 using Android Central Forums

learning2

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
When you booted up the phone, had they done a factory reset? As in, did it ask for you to enter your gmail address and password the first time it booted up? If not, you probably want to do a factory reset and then it'll ask you for your Google information.

No! If you have a rooted phone and a custom ROM, you should NEVER do a factory reset. You will brick your phone that way.

Reactions: Devinator

itsavasmommy

Aug 26, 2012
Visit site
I dont know much about these things but All i really know is its running the latest version of Harmona and has CyanogenMod settings, Ive read into some things and followed what they said to do and went in to the reboot system and Backed it up and then wiped cache partition, dalvik cache and data/factory reset.
then went to mounts and storage section and format boot,cache,data,and system. Then went to the Harmonia ROM zip and ziped it and then went and tryed to activate it and it still didnt work. Im so frustraited at this point.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
No! If you have a rooted phone and a custom ROM, you should NEVER do a factory reset. You will brick your phone that way.

Well, that's good to know. Have yet to delve into that aspect of Android. I'm about to cancel my TEC with Verizon when I get my next replacement, so, will have more experience soon. Been looking forward to this last replacement being needed.

Thanks for posting before that became disastrous.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I would say nonsense, but what you say isn't even nonsense, it's ridiculous. I've factory reset a lot of phones after burning rooted ROMs to them and they all still work fine. ("Factory reset" just deletes your personal information.)

learning2

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I would say nonsense, but what you say isn't even nonsense, it's ridiculous. I've factory reset a lot of phones after burning rooted ROMs to them and they all still work fine. ("Factory reset" just deletes your personal information.)

I don't know about "lots of phones" -- but, it's the first thing on the Optimus V rooting FAQ on this forum to never do a factory reset after you root, and to use the "wipe" feature in recovery instead.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...012-optimus-v-reference-guide-start-here.html

Last edited: