Text messages / phone calls delayed intermittently

Only1KW

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I have had intermittent problems with receiving texts and calls since day one of getting my first Android device from AT&T over a year ago. About every few weeks or so, text messages I receive will be delayed by 4+ hours from when the sender sent them until suddenly my phone alerts me to a ton of messages all at the same time. At the same time, I can be alerted to phone mail coming in with no indication that there are any missed calls on my phone, but the caller states the phone rings and rings on their end with no answer. This has occurred with multiple callers/senders using multiple different networks. I have had zero known issues with making calls and sending texts.

Some other symptoms that I have notice occur when this issue occurs (though not all of them every time):

? I?ll randomly get somewhere between 10 and 30 copies of the first text message in the backlog.
? After turning the screen on, my signal indicator will be rapidly changing for about a second.
? The clock on the phone will be behind by a few hours (though not normally as much as when I stopped being notified of texts.

I honestly don?t think it is a network problem. I normally have 3-4 (out of 5) bars at both home and work, the two main places I am. On one of the few times AT&T did (or at least claimed to do) true debugging of my issue and looked at the tower logs corresponding to one of the time this issue occurred on my device, they discovered that the text was sent and accepted by my device at the time the text was sent, and not hours later when my phone told me I got a text. However, since I?ve tried two different Android devices at this time (Samsung Galaxy S II and Samsung Captivate Glide) and they both have the same issue, Samsung claims it must be an AT&T network issue. However, this occurs at multiple locations over 10 miles apart from each other.

Does anyone have any clue what I can do to try and fix this? So far, AT&T and I have tried the following without any luck (after I?ve spoken with them literally 30-40 times in the past year about this):

? Countless times ?re-registering? the phone on the network.
? Rebooting the phone.
? Factory reset of phone.
? Different Android versions (Gingerbread and Ice Cream Sandwich)
? 5+ different SIM cards.
? Different phones.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
It really sounds like an AT&T problem (although not surprised that they won't admit it). You've done a heck of a lot to eliminate other problems as you've outlined above. I hate to say it, but it's probably time to look into switching providers. Has anyone else in your area with AT&T had the same problems?

Only1KW

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I know no one in my area who has AT&T. Probably 75% of the people I know in my area have Verizon, with a few others having a few different random carriers.

Some of the AT&T reps have claimed that there's a known issue with Android (some of them saying it's specific to Samsung devices) where the phone needs to be rebooted every other day or so to allow texts to be received successfully. Samsung of course denies this, and I've found no one online claiming such an issue exists. Has anyone else notice that rebooting every other day is necessary to get texting to work correctly?

Only1KW

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I hit this problem again last night. To debug, I actually called my cell phone using Google Voice while the phone was on Standby. From Google, I heard the phone ring multiple times but my cell phone never rang once, and afterwards I was sent to voicemail and so hung up. I then tried again, but this time, after letting the phone ring twice (according to Google Voice), I pulled my cell phone out of Standby. The cell phone instantly started ringing at that point.

Based on this and previous experience, this problem seems to occur only when my phone is in Standby mode (though it obviously doesn't occur every time it is in Standby). As soon as I hit the button on my phone to turn the screen back on and enter in my pin, that's when I start getting the texts and voicemail messages. If I had to guess, when in Standby mode and this problem occurs, the phone is accepting text messages from the AT&T network, but it is not ACKing the messages, and so AT&T keeps trying to send the message again later, which is why I get all those copies of the first message, but doesn't bother sending along any additional texts/calls since the phone is currently not responding to the first one. My phone also doesn't alert me when the first message comes in in Standby mode. Once I pull the phone out of Standby, then the phone starts acking the messages and so AT&T starts sending me the additional messages/voicemail notifications.

This is my best guess as to what is happening at this time base on what I observed, but of course AT&T won't confirm this is a possible scenario. Does this sound like something that Android devices have done in the past to others? Is there any way to fix/prevent this?

dhink

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
This seems to be an AT&T 4G issue. For me the problem began when I upgraded from 3G to 4G. I have coworkers who all have S-II or S-III's those with 4G phones experience this issue but those on 3G don't. I've asked AT&T about it multiple times and I always get the I've never heard that before response.

nrthwds

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm on AT&T, switched from Verizon as AT&T has a new tower in my rural area for better reception. I have 3 bars in my home and when talking on the phone it goes up to 4 bars. No problem calling out. Purchased the new Samsung Galaxy S5 on 9/15/14.
Incoming calls go directly to VM. Sometimes the phone works as it should and calls and messages came thru in a timely manner.
Mostly the calls go to VM and text messages are delayed. Vm doesn't show up as having a vm for hours.
I have gotten a new sim card, exchanged the phone and the new phone does exactly the same thing, I am now past my 14 days so I am stuck with this phone unless I agree to a warranty replacement phone from AT&T. (Same phone S5)
I have has 4 cases with AT&T and nothing has helped. Last case will be resolved bu Oct 4.

I will tried turning off WIFI while at home and it seemed to work, but I was not home all day. I'm going to try the smart switch on WIFI and see if that works. Being on data only (no WIFI on) may cost me too much. I only have one gig and this is the 1st month, I don't want to go over. I think it has something to do with WIFI being on. More testing required. The phone does seem to work okay when I'm out and about (using data only). It's when I'm at home useing WIFI that seems to be the problem.

I have reset the new phone, did not help. I don't understand why with 3 bars I can't receive calls.
Calling out is no problem. Incoming doesn't work correctly. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Call tech support. Ask that the trouble be escalated to level 2. When you get level 2 support, ask to speak to a supervisor. If they won't do that over the phone, find your nearest Device Support Center and see if they - or their supervisor - can help you.

I've been on AT&T Mobility for years and never heard such nonsense from reps reading out of an "answer manual". (I'm on my home wifi about 99% of the time - no email problems, other than the amount of spam I get.)

nrthwds

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Friends of mine were at my house over the weekend and he had a samsung s4 and had the same problem after logging onto my wifi. It is the wifi causing the problem. I had an old modem and netgear router that we hooked up and then we were able to receive calls like you should. We switched out the modem/router combo on Sat to my older setup and my phone is still working normally! I called my dsl provider and told them about the problem as I just bought the modem/router combo from them recently.
They never heard of anything like this. I do find it hard to believe that the home wifi equipment disrutes the cell phone signal. But my phone is now working!!! Anyone ever heard of this or that can explain why this would happen I would love to hear about it.