Text message issue with multiple users

Finch1750

Aug 31, 2015
Visit site
OnePlus 8T on Andoird 13

I am having issues with text messages on a secondary user account. The setting to allow phone calls and texts is on. They sometimes come through with no notification, but this could be immediate or delayed random amounts of time. Other times they won't load on the second user at all until I open them on the Admin account. I have tried on wifi or mobile data.

Also any messages I send while on the second user profile do not show on the admin account. I do not know if this was sending as SMS or RCS at the time thought if it makes a difference

TIA

pixelhead

Mar 3, 2024
Visit site
I've had similar problems on a Pixel 7 (and previously on a Pixel 5).

Try enabling USB debugging and then issuing the following command (if you have android SDK installed):

adb shell dumpsys whitelist +com.google.android.apps.messaging

After doing so, SMS messages are consistently delivered to Messages on my secondary user profile. It's workable, but not perfect. For example, the secondary user only gets a generic notification when a text arrives, i.e. the notification does not contain the content of the message.

I also have the same problem as the OP where text messages sent by the secondary user do not show up in Messages for the primary user. Interestingly, if the primary user clears storage in the Messages app and allows the app to re-populate, the secondary users texts do show up for the primary user.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I've had similar problems on a Pixel 7 (and previously on a Pixel 5).

Try enabling USB debugging and then issuing the following command (if you have android SDK installed):

adb shell dumpsys whitelist +com.google.android.apps.messaging

After doing so, SMS messages are consistently delivered to Messages on my secondary user profile. It's workable, but not perfect. For example, the secondary user only gets a generic notification when a text arrives, i.e. the notification does not contain the content of the message.

I also have the same problem as the OP where text messages sent by the secondary user do not show up in Messages for the primary user. Interestingly, if the primary user clears storage in the Messages app and allows the app to re-populate, the secondary users texts do show up for the primary user.
Welcome to AC!
Thank you for sharing your experience