usb charging safe for android 4.03?

explorer fred

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I couldn't figure out how to post this in the Android 4.03 section. This is my device: Irulu 7 inch tablet. CPU Processor: Allwinner A13 1.2 GHZ +GPU Mali 400 MP
Operating System: Google Android 4.0.3 ICE Cream Sandwich

The tablet comes with a 5 v. 2000 mA ac charger designed to plug into a separate charging port on the unit. I have a second charger (5 v. 1200 mA) that is designed for usb charging. Can I safely use this second charger to charge through the tablet's micro usb host port? Thanks!

Strider2112

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes,

The way charging works for any battery is it charges at a rate dependent on the amount of current output from the charger (within some certain limitations of course). What you will notice, however, is that it will be slower (probably 40% slower to be exact) because the rate at which it is charging is now less. The most important thing to note is the voltage difference, you do not want to plug in a higher voltage (or wrong type of voltage) into your battery...

Please note that using less current to charge a lithium battery is actually better, quicker charges are not good for Lithium Batteries, so using the 1200 mA one is probably actually preferable.

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Something else to consider is what you are doing. If you are doing something like heavy gaming, the weaker charger may not be able up keep up with the power demands of both charging a battery and running the device full tilt.

True or not about slow charging being better for lithium ion batteries aside, the device is what determines how much power to draw from the charger for the battery. Even if you had a 10A charger (hypothetically that is since we're talking USB), it will only pull a small amount and never come close to a 10A draw.

You may notice a slight reduction in charging time if you use the wall charger, but my guess is the difference is negligible unless doing a lot on the device too. It may be cleaner power, though. If I plug my phone into a computer USB port, my touch response goes out of whack, but is ok on wall/car power. The other thing is a higher powered charger doesn't have to work as hard to produce the same power as a weaker charger. This can potentially lead to longer charger life if you are a heavy user.

Cliff notes: I recommend using the stronger wall charger when possible, but not because it'll charge the battery super fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa