Can google now dial phone numbers? send texts?

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
What are the things it can do other than retrieve information from the internet?

i know it can set alarms. but i heard it can't set appts? i think i heard it cannot send texts, can it dial the phone?

And when changes are made to Google Now, do we receive them via regular android updates?

or if there's a thread here somewhere that already answers all these questions, lmk. Or even maybe a good article all you ever wanted to know about GN? I looked around and found the articles lacking and/or annoying.

thanks.

(am i even in the right place to ask google now questions? or is that a jellybean forum question)

Last edited:

dkhmwilliams

May 10, 2013
Visit site
What are the things it can do other than retrieve information from the internet?

i know it can set alarms. but i heard it can't set appts? i think i heard it cannot send texts, can it dial the phone?

And when changes are made to Google Now, do we receive them via regular android updates?

or if there's a thread here somewhere that already answers all these questions, lmk. Or even maybe a good article all you ever wanted to know about GN? I looked around and found the articles lacking and/or annoying.

thanks.

(am i even in the right place to ask google now questions? or is that a jellybean forum question)

You can send texts and make phone calls through Google Now. Updates are handled through the app store, which is good because it will be constantly updated. Google Now is actually a feature of Google Search. You can go into the settings of Google Now to see all the various commands you may use. It also uses data that you input into it to update you on sports scores, nearby events, tracking info for shipments that are updated through your gmail account, weather, travel times to work/home/calendar destinations, and calendar appointments.

Sent from my Nexus 7

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
You can send texts and make phone calls through Google Now. Updates are handled through the app store, which is good because it will be constantly updated. Google Now is actually a feature of Google Search. You can go into the settings of Google Now to see all the various commands you may use. It also uses data that you input into it to update you on sports scores, nearby events, tracking info for shipments that are updated through your gmail account, weather, travel times to work/home/calendar destinations, and calendar appointments. Sent from my Nexus 7

Ah, thanks so much!

I actually don't have my phone yet so i can't check the GN settings, anywhere else i could see those? i went to the google now landing and their info was very limited, they only mention internet derived stuff.

nev mind, found more stuff there. :D.

How has their progress been? Is the feature something they are paying attention to? or is it just 'get to it when we get to it' kind of thing.

Last edited:

cabiggs152

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Oh yea! The new moto x takes google now to the next level. Its q great little app that isn't going anywhere. 😋

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Oh yea! The new moto x takes google now to the next level. Its q great little app that isn't going anywhere. 😋

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

yeah, the moto x is my next phone, it's what's got me moving over to Android. :D. can't wait. Some of the GN features however, aren't able to be activated by Always Ready. Not sure exactly which ones, just asked on the moto x board.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
after looking at a few videos i see that google now is great at searching and information related to it but has a very hard time with the phone software and actions related to it. I hope they improve that, either way, love the text feature. Wish to goodness the moto x was capable of doing that directly from their always on feature. oh well, soon. :D

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Also, and i don't think it can be done yet with the google now, although perchance by a miracle i am wrong, why can't your speak your reminders to you?

and by that token, why can't your phone (via google now, or other applications) read you your texts to you? cuz that would be hot. I wouldn't even want to get a Nao robot! lol. j/k. but i only really want its brains anyway.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Also, and i don't think it can be done yet with the google now, although perchance by a miracle i am wrong, why can't your speak your reminders to you?

and by that token, why can't your phone (via google now, or other applications) read you your texts to you? cuz that would be hot. I wouldn't even want to get a Nao robot! lol. j/k. but i only really want its brains anyway.

Most devices have hands free settings that do just that. Look through the setting to enable this feature.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer