Kogan android doesn't recognise my SIM card as 'local'

edfdave

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I've recently purchased 2 KOGAN AGORA QUAD CORE smart phones. Note that I am in the UK and these phones are from an Australian company operating in the UK and are probably sourced from China (!). The first phone is great, set up and works fine with my network provider (Giffgaff/O2). However, the second one is not working properly although it does "sort of" work. I installed my SIM card (Orange/EE), input all the required settings and the phone happily connected to the Orange/EE network. However, the icon above the mobile signal bars shows R for Roaming and I get the message "ROAMING WARNING ! : The SIM card that you are about to use is now roaming. No local SIM is available now. Would you like to continue?? etc whenever I try to send a text or make a call. In other words the phone "thinks" I'm not connected to my local network provider and warns me that I may encounter roaming charges. I then have to press continue and it happily sends my text or whatever. Note that I have the ?Data Roaming? setting UNchecked because I don?t want to get roaming charges. As a result of the latter setting though I cannot access the internet. However, if I do then check this setting then the phone can access the internet via Orange/EE.

On the face of it, it appears that the phone does not recognise my UK SIM card as ?local? and assumes I need roaming, even though it then continues and uses my own network. It seems that I may been sent an ?Australian? or ?Chinese? phone maybe ? Does anyone out there know of any setting/action I can make that will stop this happening ? I have looked on the internet for any answers and cannot find any. Or is replacement the only option ? They are good phones (& cheap).

This is the second of these phones that I have purchased because I was so pleased with the first one. The first one works great and DOES NOT DO THIS, though it is on a different UK network. This suggest to me that there is something different about the second phone that is causing this problem.

edfdave

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have emailed their tech support via their website. They have UK distribution and customer services seem to be in Australia. Have to wait and see. They're a big online retailer so I'm not over optimistic they'll have an answer.

jason1206

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I have a similar issue. I switched from Orange to a new local low cost provider. They use multiple big carrier networks for their subscribers so it turns out I'm supposed to be on roaming since I have access to their network and the network of one of the big carriers.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apkmodyo