Is it safe to buy a rooted android?

greencell

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I was hoping someone could help me. I'm new to smartphones and I found a samsung galaxy nexus android I want to purchase. The only thing is, it's rooted. I seem to read a lot of pro's and con's about this. My main concern is security and the ability to get software updates. Is it a bad idea to buy a used rooted phone? If the person who's selling it to me wasn't careful with their security after they rooted the phone, could I end up with malicious malware on my phone? And is there any way I can unroot the phone?

Any help on this is much appreciated.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Hello,

Only thing I would worry about is the device having a clear ESN/account with the sellers carrier it was assigned to. Otherwise since its a Nexus, obtaining the Google Factory Images and flashing it back to factory stock will take care of cleaning it up and erasing any signs of being rooted and anything the previous owner did.

greencell

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Paul. Just so I understand, this would erase anything malicious that could have gotten on the phone under the previous owner? And if so, how would I go about flashing it back? I'm a novice when it comes to phone technology.

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
How much is your budget? There's a brand new motorola g cost around $180

And about the rooted phone it's just gaining access to super admin privilege.

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk

greencell

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
How much is your budget? There's a brand new motorola g cost around $180

And about the rooted phone it's just gaining access to super admin privilege.

Sent from multiple devices using Tapatalk

By budget is around $150 and I'd like to use Ting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samahmed336699