Duplicate names in contacts, 1 number and 1 Whatsapp?

Aesthete18

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I was helping my mom setup her new phone, I put in the sim card and each name has a duplicate with 1 number and 1 Whatsapp. I think there's some with Gmail as well. How do I combine it? I tried using GO Ex Contacts but it couldn't merge, it said there were no duplicates found, except 1 but with that contact both were numbers. There's about 400 contacts at the moment so it's gonna be a real pain to do it individually. Anyone know a fix? The phone is Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus.

nedia_r

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I would turn contact syncing on. Then when they are all synced, delete them from the phone. And then merge any duplicates in Google contacts.

Bart van Lindert

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
I was helping my mom setup her new phone, I put in the sim card and each name has a duplicate with 1 number and 1 Whatsapp. I think there's some with Gmail as well. How do I combine it? I tried using GO Ex Contacts but it couldn't merge, it said there were no duplicates found, except 1 but with that contact both were numbers. There's about 400 contacts at the moment so it's gonna be a real pain to do it individually. Anyone know a fix? The phone is Samsung Galaxy Trend Plus.

Same problem here. Some whatsapp contacts are merged with my contacts in the contact list but some are not. I cannot delete the Whatsapp contacts because they are read only. After trying for several days I have not found a method to merge the contacts. They do not appear in Google+ contacts. This really bugs me.

Bronyr

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm fed up that there is no solution for those read only contacts. No matter what I tell whatsapp or Waze, those contacts still do appear in google only contacts but as read only, even when I try to catch the moment 'don't sync.' It's been so long and the app developers or mighty Google - none of them found any solutions.

diegoalvarezb

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Same problem... Is there something new about that?

When I edit the name of a contact name in google, it keeps the old one too (whatsapp readonly type). I don't know how to fix that.

marstupendo

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
i found out a simple way to fix that, in my phone at least.
i edit the contact number (the google account number) so that it doesn't include any hyphens, and after saving, the contact shows only one number.
it looks like if when the number contains hyphens, and i guess other formatting like apces or periods, the contact app doesn't understand they are the same number.
sounds stupid right? well it worked in my phone.
now i just have to look for an app to batch edit all my numbers! haven't found yet.
i hope this helps you too. :)

PeterP007

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
In order to fix this (may be there is some SW update, because this still smells as a bug) do the following:
1) Go to your contacts
2) Select Contacts to display
3) Select near the Customized list the"setting" sign
4) Click on the arrow near to WhatsUp/Waze.... categories and unselect all not relevant checkboxes
5) Now select the Customized list

moon387

Nov 3, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to PeterP007...

Hey Guys... I was also facing the same issue and there is a way to not show any whatsapp, viber etc. contacts in your phone contact list...
I have Samsung Galaxy J.. new in market with Android Lollipop 5.1.

Here what I did..

1. Go to "Contacts".
2. On top right corner "More"
3. Click on "Settings"
4. There in Settings you can see "Contacts to display".. just click it.
5. Now it shows different options like Show All Contacts, Device Contacts, SIM Contacts, Whatsapp Contacts and of all accounts that you have. Simply select your desired option as mine was to show SIM Contacts.

Note:
All other Whatsapp etc. contacts are present but they won't be shown in your phone contact list. And you can change the setting whenever you want.

I hope this help all..

Regards

Last edited:

Aebbeebo

Dec 10, 2015
Visit site
Thanks to PeterP007...

Hey Guys... I was also facing the same issue and there is a way to not show any whatsapp, viber etc. contacts in your phone contact list...
I have Samsung Galaxy J.. new in market with Android Lollipop 5.1.

Here what I did..

1. Go to "Contacts".
2. On top right corner "More"
3. Click on "Settings"
4. There in Settings you can see "Contacts to display".. just click it.
5. Now it shows different options like Show All Contacts, Device Contacts, SIM Contacts, Whatsapp Contacts and of all accounts that you have. Simply select your desired option as mine was to show SIM Contacts.

Note:
All other Whatsapp etc. contacts are present but they won't be shown in your phone contact list. And you can change the setting whenever you want.

I hope this help all..

Regards

Right Bro... quite effective for now.
Let me check for couple of days, as no other problem creeps out #ThanksBuddy

singhaldipanshu

Jul 5, 2016
Visit site
I might have just bumped into a possible solution. I was trying multiple solutions, and this one in particular worked (atleast for the time being).
So, here it is,
In the 'App Permissions' of WhatsApp, Go to the option of 'Write/Delete Contact' and change its permission from Always Allowed to Always Denied.
Then after doing this, whatever contacts you save in your device from there on, save them individually, not by the add contact option of WhatsApp.
It seems to have worked for me, though I have put this solution on probation as of now, as I cannot say the issue won't resurface prematurely.
Thanks

Ryan Ebejer

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
Hi, I have an irritating problem on my android that I can't seem to solve. I will try to explain it as best I can. So, my contacts are stored in my gmail account and the people list is set to only show contacts I have on gmail. I also have whatsapp installed as well. now the problem is that when I press the phone icon to make a call and I press on the "enter a name or phone number" field to type a contact, the contacts are showing twice. one from gmail account (which I want) and the other of whatsapp. I know this because when I deleted whatsapp it started showing only the gmail contact. how do I get rid of the whatsapp contact showing up? I have gone through all the settings in whatsapp, people and the call screen numerous times. the only thing that worked is when I went in the contacts setting in whatsapp and deselected "show all contacts". but that way the messages in whatsapp will have no name just the number, so that's not a really good way. does anyone know how to solve it? preferably without uninstalling whatsapp.
Thanks in advance

Ankit2909

Nov 13, 2017
Visit site
I was getting the same issue in my mobile.
Now I find the below solution for this issue. I am using Mi Note 3.
> Go to setting.
> Go to System apps.
> Go to contacts.
> Click on Display preferences.
> Click on Configure contact list and select your google account. (If you want to see only whatsaap contacts then select whatsapp)

Danyo Holpfer

Dec 28, 2018
Visit site
Refresh your whatsapp's contacts. Well, atleast it works for me using Xiaomi Mi A1.

Had the exacct same problem here. Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite, Running Android 9.

In the "normal" contacts app there is a setting to hide whatsapp contacts, but they still show app under the contacts menu in the "phone" app.

The problem is that they need to be merged but the contact app has no option for this.

Install any other contact app that has a merge feature (i uses simple contacts).

I then merged all the contacts and it is working like intended. After the merge i removed the app and went back to the stock contact app and it still works