How do I open this android .img file?

Cody Wright1

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
The .img file is not recognized by 7-zip, Poweriso, Winrar, or Imgburn. The file format is not supported. I know for a fact that the file is not corrupted because I can use it to successfully flash my Cobalt Tab S800 tablet back to stock using Livesuite. I also know that it is not in the ext2, ext4, tar, YAFFS2 or tar.ext4 file format.
I acquired it from a person on XDA developers who emailed the manufacturer of the tablet for the stockrom.
I want to open the file so that I can make some modifications and then reflash it to my tablet.
I might be wrong about it not being any of the mentioned file formats but I tried like ten programs and they all gave me the same basic error "file format not supported". The rom is stock Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0.4.

I don't know how linking is handled on this site, but I really need some help with this. So here is the file and if you find a way to decompress, extract, or unpack the img please let me know.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1e2t6cgvjm2in7l/cobalttabs800.img

Tom Neal

Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Mounting Android .img files on Windows
You will need:

7-Zip to extract the image.
sgs2toext4 to convert the image
DiskInternals Linux Reader to open and extract the files.
Java SDK to run the converter.
Steps

Using 7-Zip, open your factory image file. You might have to dig around in the facotry to find what you need. You might see a file ending in .tar. Double click to open it. You will see some files ending in .img and one or more files ending in .zip. Open the .zip. You should see several files ending in .img. The one we want is system.zip. Drag that out to your desktop (or anywhere you want to put it).

Double click sgs2toext4 and it should launch and ask you to drop your image file in the window. Grab your system file and drop it it in. It will begin converting immediately.

Once it’s done, launch Linux Reader and drag system.ext4.img onto it. You will see a drive named something like “Linux Ext Volume 1.” Now just highlight the files you need, right click, and save. Browse to where you want to save the files.

Done. courtesy of mfratto on tumblr

Aniruth Dinesh

May 24, 2018
Visit site
The Android's boot.img isn't the standard .IMG thing, windows will not be able to mount the image as there is no recognisable file system in there. You have to use unpacking and repacking tools to work with that boot.img.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Everyone not in the industry should remember one thing:

The developer of a file is under no constraint to use, or not use, any particular extension for any file. While .img is usually the image of a DVD, or in the Android world, a bootable file, it can be anything. The fact that it ends in .img doesn't mean that any program that opens .img file will open any particular .img file. If you can't boot the phone with the file (TWRP, for instance comes in an .img format, so you can boot it, then use it to install the TWRP.zip file, which is the same thing, but in a permanent format).

If you're going to try to play with Android .img files, at least learn Linux (as Cody Wright1 evidently has). That's where you'll be working - in the operating system of the phone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke