App data backup from a phone with a broken screen

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I've tried searching but I'm not seeing a solution for my problem.

I broke the screen/digitizer on my phone the other night. I got a new replacement phone through my mobile insurance. I was able to create a backup of my old phone through Kies since it's only the screen that won't work. However, upon further research, I'm seeing that Kies does not back up apps or app data. It says it does, when I selected everything while I was backing up but it won't let me when I try to restore it to the new device. It will only let me restore the contacts, pics, music etc.. which I already have on my micro SD card.

I've seen that people use helium backup but I am unable to do anything on my old device other than plugging it into a computer. I can't install helium on the old phone. Will I be able to backup the broken phone just with Helium Desktop?

I have a feeling that I'm SOL but figured I'd ask. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you!

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
The only thing I could think of would be to use the adb backup command but that relies on you having USB debugging enabled on your phone prior to the screen breaking.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I could think of would be to use the adb backup command but that relies on you having USB debugging enabled on your phone prior to the screen breaking.
I'm not sure if I did have that enabled or not. I don't think I did. Thanks for the tip though. I guess I'll try that when I get home from work.

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Ugh, I can't believe that there isn't a simple way to do this like with the iPhone. Seems like I should just be able to get a program to back up the damn apps and app data and then transfer it to the new phone. Seems like such a simple task. I was able to get everything but apps and app data on the new phone. Why Kies will only let you restore apps and app data on the device it came from is anybodies guess. LOL

Guess I'm just going to spend the rest of the evening reinstalling everything manually and forgetting about progress in all of my games. The thought of starting from scratch with Hill Climb again makes me nauseous.

MADDROID1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
I believe that if you log into Google Play Store with your new device, it will remember which apps you had. Tap the icon in the upper left corner for a dropdown menu and select "my apps". You can then download them to the new device fairly painlessly. That's what I did to get the same apps on my tablet as were on my phone. Of course the data won't be restored. Hopefully your pictures, contacts, music, etc are backed up elsewhere.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

ABOSWORTH007

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I believe that if you log into Google Play Store with your new device, it will remember which apps you had. Tap the icon in the upper left corner for a dropdown menu and select "my apps". You can then download them to the new device fairly painlessly. That's what I did to get the same apps on my tablet as were on my phone. Of course the data won't be restored. Hopefully your pictures, contacts, music, etc are backed up elsewhere.

Sent from my QMV7A using Tapatalk

Yeah I'm able to download them again but it just pisses me off that there is no simple way to back the app data up on the computer and then transfer it to my new device. It's just unbelievable really. Lol

Posted via Android Central App