De register from iMessage

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Okay, I know this is not new, and I did search and read threads about it, but the answers are all over the map. My wife just switched from an iPhone 4S to an LG G3 (on Verizon). She is not getting txt messages sent from her iPhone friends (the iMessage "bug"). She can't take the SIM from the new phone and put it in her old iPhone to deactivate iMessage - which she did not do before switching. What is the latest answer to this long standing issue?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Posted via Android Central App

jhimmel

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
No replies yet, but I think we may have found the answer. Will have to see if it works.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Try going to supportprofile.apple.com, log in with the AppleID, and Edit Devices, as described in this article: How to disable iMessage when switching to an Android phone

You may also just have to call Apple Support and ask them to manually remove the phone number from the iMessage server.

My wife followed that process and it did not work for her. Any iPhone that had texted her in the past tried to use iMessage. Even having Apple try to remove it did not remedy the issue. She was also in a situation where she could not access her old iPhone (broken). Our "solution" was to go to each phone that texted her frequently and change the setting so that it would automatically retry on SMS when iMessage failed, but she still won't receive picture messages or group messages from these people. Ultimately her family is slowly switching away from the iPhone so it's becoming less of an issue.

My boss ran into the same thing recently.

raptir

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Ugh, what a pain!

When Google first merged Hangouts and SMS I was a little upset that it wasn't more "integrated" with your number like iMessage is, but after going through this I completely understand why they don't.

In the end Apple literally told us, "Everything looks okay on your account... you'll have to have every person who texts you call us for troubleshooting," and when we said that was ridiculous they suggested changing her phone number.