Has android helped saved money/justify cost of plans?

krisinu

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys, new here.

Currently on Sprint Sero w/ the Blackberry Tour.

Considering switch to an android phone. If I go with the Samsung Transform or LG Optimus S my monthly bills increases by $10.

If I go HTC Evo or Samsung Epic the monthly bill goes up $20.

So question is, has anyone using android found themselves to improve productivity and save some money in their lives with various apps? Curious to know if upgrading would just be an expense or if I could actually gain something economically from it. I'm generally budget conscious so I take any savings I get.

Thanks in advance!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Id say yes with chase banking, having a full mobile browser where ever you go, and a complete calendar management tool built in.

But its also for entertainment (allot of entertainment haha)

I dont know much about sero, but id say grab the evo or epic and try it for a week or 2, you still have the 30 days to trade it back right? Either way i suggest these top of the line phones over the other two you listed even with the increased price, you get what you pay for.

If i could ask, what exactly is sprint sero? How could someone get on it? and, what are the benefits and pitfalls of it?

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I would definitely say no, it has not. My TP2 was reliable, never a problem. The Evo has been reliable and for me the big difference: the Evo is faster and that is it.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
So question is, has anyone using android found themselves to improve productivity and save some money in their lives with various apps? Curious to know if upgrading would just be an expense or if I could actually gain something economically from it. I'm generally budget conscious so I take any savings I get.
I doubt it but I'd still pay for my Android device and its associated data plan. If you're looking strictly for $ savings as some sort of justification you'll probably be disappointed. YMMV, of course as worth is always highly subjective.

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
I needed something to give me email and web surfing on the go, since I'm out of the house for more than 12 hours on some days. IMO, you're paying for the convenience and the entertainment, and I think it's well worth it.

I wouldn't call it a money savings, but it has certainly saved my sanity a few times :)

shaundizzle

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
It does not save you money. You spend a little more money but to me its worth it. I'm never going back to a dumbphone.

I came to the epic after having 2 iPhones. IPhone 1 and then 3gs. So I am saving some money on my bill.
For me I guess I'm saving money. I look up anything I need to for school, I can look up the syllabus to make sure nothings due.
The drop box app is also very nice. I'm a civil engineering student so I save my drafting drawings onto the sd card on my phone, but if I forget my USB cable or whatever I can just upload it onto drop box. Then I go home and download it from my dropbox And continue drawing.

But from the sound of it, it seems your nor even getting a data plan or anything.
I'd seriously get the epic 4g, or even the evo. If you live in a 4g area you get crazy fast download speeds. My home computer has a bandwidth speed of 1.08mbps. With 4g I get 2.6-8 mbps. And its unlimited!
When att and Verizon get their 4g lte its more than likely going to be tiered pricing. Especially att, they already have capped 3g. Anyways I'm telling you this because you can tether to you laptop on the go. For example sometimes I need to finish up a PowerPoint before I get to school. If I'm on the train wabam unlimited data or if I'm getting a ride.

Honestly I can go on and on. It's only 20$a month. That's chump change. Not really but its affordable. Right now I'm unemployed and I manage to pull my bill off.
I was employes when I got my phone though. Maybe I should go work for sprint haha

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

krisinu

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I know there are apps to help find cheapest gas around you, find coupons instantly by scanning a barcode w/ camera, and also use an app to find a product at cheapest price by scanning the barcode.

I can appreciate the banking/budgeting apps. Possibly stock trading as well or virtual stock trading to hopefully learn how to one day make some real money.

Are these kinds of apps practical in real world every day use?

Just to clarify for those that don't know about Sprint Sero, it's a grandfathered plan no longer available for new signups but I get 500 anytime, unlimited text and data for $30/mo. To get the Evo or Epic I must upgrade to Sprint Sero Premium which allows me access to newer phones, that raises my plan to $40/mo. Then the Evo and Epic have a premium data charge of another $10 which raises my plan to $50/mo

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer