Why two email apps?

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
So I've got a question as an Android n00b.

I just got the Samsung Epic 4g this past weekend. I'm having an awesome time with it. Just a minor gripe...

Why are there two email apps? There's the default Gmail app, then another email app. Now, I could remove one of them, but I actually like the "regular" email app better. I like the black background and the colored lettering vs. the standard Gmail app. Any suggestions on what to do so I can make the "regular" email app my default email application?

Thanks!

scott_0

May 28, 2010
Visit site
you cannot remove the gmail app, you have to have a gmail account to use the phone. but I know what you mean the other email app is more visually appealing

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
it just because the gmail app is a little more fully featured, but while they prefer you use gmail (it is a google OS after all, they give you the option to use other email clients as well.

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I have the Gmail application set up, but do not use it. It is off the screen and set to never notify when mail comes in. I use the default HTC mail program for Excrap and K9 for GMail and Everydog.net.

Reactions: Donmeister85

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
I have the Gmail application set up, but do not use it. It is off the screen and set to never notify when mail comes in. I use the default HTC mail program for Excrap and K9 for GMail and Everydog.net.

That's actually a great idea. I don't necessarily even mind it being on the screen. I just disabled the notifications this morning so that I'll only be notified by the default email client instead of Gmail. Thanks!

bclinger#IM

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
I tried the GMail application for about 2 weeks and had enough of it. Some rave about it, I cussed it. It has a major problem with file attachments and that caused me to cuss it. Anyway, the only reason I am using the HTC mail client for Excrap is because I have not wanted to take the time to test Exchange with K9. The HTC mail client works fine for me.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Like they said, you can choose which one gives you notifications.

For me, I use Gmail for my personal mail and the HTC Mail for my Exchange Server mail for work - that way I know which is which when I do get a notification. I've found that to be very useful.

Donmeister85

Dec 5, 2010
Visit site
Like they said, you can choose which one gives you notifications.

For me, I use Gmail for my personal mail and the HTC Mail for my Exchange Server mail for work - that way I know which is which when I do get a notification. I've found that to be very useful.

Hmm... You're the second person to say that they use the default HTC mail client. In using a Samsung phone, I doubt that will be an option. I would like to at least see what it looks like though, since it seems to be so good. I'm also going to search for some email apps with better functionality.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Hmm... You're the second person to say that they use the default HTC mail client. In using a Samsung phone, I doubt that will be an option.
Maybe, maybe not. I tested the HTC Work Email app on my Motorola Droid when looking for an Exchange client. Ended up preferring Touchdown though (not that it's relevant to this thread).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana