Samsung S23 and email

Northerner

Mar 29, 2024
Visit site
I am growing frustrated finding an email APP that works properly on my new S23.
I had 3 BlackBerry phones and a Samsung Galaxy tablet, on which emails worked flawlessly. Emails came in instantaneously (no 15 minute or so "fetch" etc) with audible and visual notifications. When BlackBerry stopped I went to an iPhone and the email was atrocious. At times I waited over an hour for emails to come in, and once or twice they came the next day. This improved over time (and much complaining to Apple support) but the email remained spotty.

So..this week, I went to a Samsung S23 and am having the same issues. Seeing my Galaxy tablet performed so well with email, I thought I would avoid this issue. I want to use my IMAP email (from my service provider), NOT Hotmail or Gmail.

Any email APP I download does not fetch at any reasonable period, plus I get no notifications. And yes, I have been all thru my settings and notifications are enabled for the APPs. Mostly, emails come in only when I open the APP

I contacted Samsung support and was told to use Samsung email, as on my phone. Well...this APP was NOT on my phone so I had to add it.

I have not set it up yet, am still using trying BlueMail but it is slow with no notifications.

I am looking for suggestions and help on this forum. I would like to think that Professional and Business people can use an iPhone or Android phone and have good email service. Samsung mail is a Samsung program so would that make it more ideal?

Thank you!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Introductions forum to the S23 forum, since it's primarily a question rather than an intro.

Are any power-saving modes turned on? If so, turn them off. Also, go to Settings>Apps, select the email app, and look at the battery settings -- make sure it's Unrestricted, rather than Optimized or Restricted.

Also, for the email account settings in your current email app, what's the sync set to, and what other options for sync are available?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just FYI — My S23+ email app has been sync'd with my four MS Outlook email addy's—since Oct 2023—with every function always working great.

Reactions: B. Diddy

Northerner

Mar 29, 2024
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the Introductions forum to the S23 forum, since it's primarily a question rather than an intro.

Are any power-saving modes turned on? If so, turn them off. Also, go to Settings>Apps, select the email app, and look at the battery settings -- make sure it's Unrestricted, rather than Optimized or Restricted.

Also, for the email account settings in your current email app, what's the sync set to, and what other options for sync are available?

Thanks for switching my post and for replying. I did have battery saving mode on and on the email APP I changed the battery setting to Unrestricted. Thank you

I see no sync settings at all....I did see that before when I had my IMAP mail hooked up on the Gmail app. I had to add my Gmail account to this app to use it, but have deleted the IMAP from it. Hopefully we are getting somewhere. Thanks

Reactions: B. Diddy

Northerner

Mar 29, 2024
Visit site
Just FYI — My S23+ email app has been sync'd with my four MS Outlook email addy's—since Oct 2023—with every function always working great.

So you are using Samsung email? You are getting notifications? Also.....the mail APP icon on the Home Screen...are you supposed to get an indicator on there that you have email? Like you get on the "Messages" APP icon?
How fast do emails come to your inbox? There is supposed to be a minimum 15 minute "Fetch" but I find that very optimistic

Northerner

Mar 29, 2024
Visit site

Just an observation....when I switched on Unrestricted battery in my Gmail settings, I immediately got a notification......it was an email from Androidcentral for one of these messages. BUT....this email did not go to my IMAP email at all....is Gmail now limiting what my IMAP mail gets?

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
So you are using Samsung email? You are getting notifications? Also.....the mail APP icon on the Home Screen...are you supposed to get an indicator on there that you have email? Like you get on the "Messages" APP icon?
How fast do emails come to your inbox? There is supposed to be a minimum 15 minute "Fetch" but I find that very optimistic
Yes, Samsung email, v. 6.1.90.16
w/ noti's set like so . .

Screenshot_20240329_195740_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20240329_195815_Settings.jpg

. . with noti's appearing in the noti drop-downs, as well as pop-ups, w/ the badges appearing on the icons. But I don't have the email icon on any screen pages, rather just in the edge panel. They come pretty quick; but you can only adjust the sync schedule to 'Auto' or 'Every 15 minutes', soonest.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Northerner

Mar 29, 2024
Visit site
Yes, Samsung email, v. 6.1.90.16
w/ noti's set like so . .

View attachment 361335View attachment 361336

. . with noti's appearing in the noti drop-downs, as well as pop-ups, w/ the badges appearing on the icons. But I don't have the email icon on any screen pages, rather just in the edge panel. They come pretty quick; and I think you can adjust the freq of the sync scan, if I recall correctly.

WOW.....I got a notification and a red dot on the BlueMail icon on my home screen.....when androidcentral sent me an email for your msg. Very instantaneously. This email came in way before the mail on my laptop. So now I am getting excited.

I may still set up Samsung mail.....as it was recommended to me.

I must add, I have a profound hearing impairment and do not voice on the phone....email and texting is my communications. My BlackBerrys were lifesavers and the iPhone was NO match....I hope this 23s does email like a Blackberry

Thank you!

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
WOW.....I got a notification and a red dot on the BlueMail icon on my home screen.....when androidcentral sent me an email for your msg. Very instantaneously. This email came in way before the mail on my laptop. So now I am getting excited.

I may still set up Samsung mail.....as it was recommended to me.

I must add, I have a profound hearing impairment and do not voice on the phone....email and texting is my communications. My BlackBerrys were lifesavers and the iPhone was NO match....I hope this 23s does email like a Blackberry

Thank you!
Sounds like the Samsung app may be worth checking-out. I'm not very familiar with it really. But it seems to have always worked well since we switched from iPhones to Samsung's in 2011.
Btw, our Samsung email app icons are red, in case that signifies anything.

Sorry to hear of your hearing impairment. 🙁 We have a parent who just recently, finally agreed to get fitted for in-ear hearing aids (and who now admits that she should've agreed to approx 12 years ago), and now she can hardly believe how well she hears! Frequently asking us to not talk so loud! Which we still forget and do, being so used to doing so, like in the movie 'Sense and Sensibility' . 😊

Last edited:

Northerner

Mar 29, 2024
Visit site
Thanks for switching my post and for replying. I did have battery saving mode on and on the email APP I changed the battery setting to Unrestricted. Thank you

I see no sync settings at all....I did see that before when I had my IMAP mail hooked up on the Gmail app. I had to add my Gmail account to this app to use it, but have deleted the IMAP from it. Hopefully we are getting somewhere. Thanks

To update, I have switched all battery saving modes off, and email apps set at battery Unrestricted. After this and using BlueMail, I got 2 emails very quickly...one even before the email showed up on my laptop, the other only 2 or 3 minutes after my laptop. So this got me excited...problem solved! But the next day, BlueMail was back to receiving 20 or 25 minutes later. Despite sync set at 15 mins.
So I deleted BlueMail and went to Samsung email, as suggested by Samsung support. I was very pleased to see this app can set sync to "auto"...sending when received...supposedly faster than 15 mins sync.
while I did get one email after a 10 minute delay, everything else is 25 or 30 minutes delay....not even 15 minutes. Very disappointing.
I will be contacting Samsung Support again today. Samsung email is not synching as supposed to.

Super Spartan

Dec 21, 2018
Visit site
To update, I have switched all battery saving modes off, and email apps set at battery Unrestricted. After this and using BlueMail, I got 2 emails very quickly...one even before the email showed up on my laptop, the other only 2 or 3 minutes after my laptop. So this got me excited...problem solved! But the next day, BlueMail was back to receiving 20 or 25 minutes later. Despite sync set at 15 mins.
So I deleted BlueMail and went to Samsung email, as suggested by Samsung support. I was very pleased to see this app can set sync to "auto"...sending when received...supposedly faster than 15 mins sync.
while I did get one email after a 10 minute delay, everything else is 25 or 30 minutes delay....not even 15 minutes. Very disappointing.
I will be contacting Samsung Support again today. Samsung email is not synching as supposed to.
I used both the Outlook mail app (works for any email not just Microsoft emails) and Aqua Mail Pro, both fetch emails instantly and I didn't change any settings or set them to unrestricted. That's basic smartphone functionality that you don't need to tinker with even.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
The default Samsung email app works well for me on my tablet and phone. No problem with emails being received on my devices in a timely manner and no problem with notifications.

I earlier held on using BlackBerry Hub/Inbox for Android on Samsung, for quite a while after switching to a Samsung tablet from a Playbook and then eventually also to a Samsung phone from a Z10. I still miss the combined inbox/sentbox of Hub. However, the default Samsung email app on Samsung devices works pretty good once one gets used to it.

Northerner

Mar 29, 2024
Visit site
I used both the Outlook mail app (works for any email not just Microsoft emails) and Aqua Mail Pro, both fetch emails instantly and I didn't change any settings or set them to unrestricted. That's basic smartphone functionality that you don't need to tinker with even.

Thanks for this info. I have installed both the above apps to try. However, when updating Outlook with my IMAP settings there is no "enter" button at the end and I cannot complete the setup. What am I missing? Thanks

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for this info. I have installed both the above apps to try. However, when updating Outlook with my IMAP settings there is no "enter" button at the end and I cannot complete the setup. What am I missing? Thanks

I'm sneaking in here.

It's been a while since I set Outlook up, but I thought there was a checkmark on the upper right hand corner of the page to tap after the IMAP settings were entered. Again, it's been a while...

Northerner

Mar 29, 2024
Visit site
I'm sneaking in here.

It's been a while since I set Outlook up, but I thought there was a checkmark on the upper right hand corner of the page to tap after the IMAP settings were entered. Again, it's been a while...

Thanks for writing. Yes there is a checkmark in that upper right corner. But it is greyed out and does not work. I have uninstalled the app and downloaded again.....no luck!

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for writing. Yes there is a checkmark in that upper right corner. But it is greyed out and does not work. I have uninstalled the app and downloaded again.....no luck!
Are you setting up IMAP manually? You may be missing something that needs to be set first.

Try just letting it set up automatically by inputting the email and then the password. Don't tap on "setup account manually". Wait until it asks if you want to set up as IMAP or POP3. Then you can do the password. Don't tap the "advanced settings" switch. The check mark should light up as soon as you start inputting the password. Then tap it when done.

Sorry, but I did edit this right after my initial post.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Well, that's unfortunate. It almost seems like it doesn't like one of your entries on that page, so the checkmark remains greyed. I hope you can figure out the problem.

I use the Samsung email app successfully for my service provider email account. My 'non service provider' email account is setup in the Outlook app. They both are close in terms of performance.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Are you setting up IMAP manually? You may be missing something that needs to be set first.

Try just letting it set up automatically by inputting the email and then the password. Don't tap on "setup account manually". Wait until it asks if you want to set up as IMAP or POP3. Then you can do the password. Don't tap the "advanced settings" switch. The check mark should light up as soon as you start inputting the password. Then tap it when done.

Sorry, but I did edit this right after my initial post.
Those are good steps to try!
👍

Reactions: winmod21