Why do I longer get a message notification when in a chat session?

coastermeg

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site
No longer get message notification when in a chat session

After the latest upgrade about 2 weeks ago, if I am in an active conversation with someone, I don't get a tone notifying me that they've responded. I have to either keep my eye on the screen to see if/when they respond, or close out of that conversation in order to force the tone when they respond. Annoying! I can't find out where to get this turned back on. Can anyone help? (AT&T Galaxy S5)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Re: No longer get message notification when in a chat session

What app are you using? Is this texting? Facebook Messenger? Whatsapp?

coastermeg

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

Thanks for replying so quickly. This while I'm texting. I'm using the default messaging app that came with the phone.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I haven't seen any settings that would either enable or disable 'in conversation' notifications :S Don't really know if it was there before or not as I use Hangouts for texting...

coastermeg

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

This is new, since the last upgrade. I've always gotten tone notifications when a text message came in, whether it was while the conversation was active on my screen, or if I had backed out of it and was on any other screen. Now, if I leave the conversation with someone open, if they respond to me, I get no tone, hence the staring at the screen to see if/when they respond. Apparently this is another "feature" they thought we needed and pushed it out, instead of having an option to turn it on or off, because I can't find it anywhere either.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I've seen that option in apps like Whatsapp, but never on the Messaging app TBH. I understand your preference, but personally, it's the very first thing I turn off! Haha I'm guessing there are more 'mes' than 'yous' who gave feedback to Samsung about it, enough to warrant a change in the updated version. But I agree, instead of removing it, it's better to leave it as an option.

coastermeg

Feb 24, 2015
Visit site

Y'okay; thanks for the info. I'll find someplace to let Samsung know they screwed my pooch with this one.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site

I was amazed by how fast they do respond, though. I had issues with Milk Music once, and they took less than a day to respond and follow up was within 10 minutes until they finally fixed my problem. So it can't hurt to let them know.

Mark Nielson2

Mar 1, 2015
Visit site

I too have this same issue. When I am using the default Messages app on Samsung Galaxy S5, 4.4.4 Kitkat, and I am texting with someone and their chat window is open, I do not receive any notification sound when I receive their messages. The bubble just pops up with no notification sound or vibrate. Very annoying as I have missed responses when I simply put down the phone after sending a message. There is no other problems with notifications if I backout of the conversation window or switch to another app. This problem only occurs when I am actually in the conversation chat window.
Does anyone know if Android 5.0 Lollipop addresses or fixes this problem?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz