Why my RAM processes keeps restarting?

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
I am using Xperia M2 dual, kitkat 4.4.4. My free RAM always more than 100 mb, sometimes more than 200, and my RAM is 1 gb. It happens when I am browsing and playing games. I uninstalled unused app, the problem still. Even if my free internal storage is 3.4 out of 5.0, so the used storage is only 1.6. I tried factory reset, the problem still. Reinstalling firmware, the problem still too.
Is there anyone who can help me?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what your issue is here. Android doesn't handle RAM the way Windows does, and that's mostly what causes users to cringe at how they read the info. Your system will ALWAYS use some RAM. So you will never have all of your RAM available. Furthermore, Android handles cached processes in RAM automatically. If it needs memory for a running app, it will take it away from an inactive background process. That's why you may see those fluctuations even if you don't do anything. The system is handling your memory even for background processes.

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Yes, I know Windows and Android is different, but this is REALLY annoying. I use BBM so much, and everytime I'm playing game, the bbm will restarting and I don't receive any messages, the process will be done after I quit the game.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
There might be a bug with your phone, then... BBM, even when not running, still receives messages as it uses Push. Are you using any kind of application manager or task killer? If so this might be the reason... Some services, like messaging, e-mail, etc. cannot be terminated by the system while allocation RAM resources. It shouldn't just 'kill' BBM like that. But again, the amount of RAM available shouldn't be used as a reference to how your system is acting.

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Well, does Greenify is a task killer? I use Greenify, but I don't include BBM into the greenified list. I said "restart" not "kill", the program will still running, but it's like it's "paused" or something. But why does so many apps said "if you disable the running notification, the process will delayed when the memory is low"? What does that mean?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, Greeinify is a task killer essentially, if a glorified one. All apps are 'paused' when sent to the background unless they're actively doing something (if they didn't, you battery would last two hours per charge!). That's where PUSH notifications come in. While the app is not active and is lying dormant in the background, when a message is received, PUSH 'wakes up' the notification process and when you open back the app, it should re-spawn. But if you kill the dormant process with a task manager/killer like Greenify (you could be 'killing' secondary processes you didn't know you needed for BBM), you mess up with the way these apps work.

The running notification is a way for an app to keep all their processes active in the background and prevents them from being terminated by the system. If BBM uses this, then I'm sorry to say but it's not a nicely-coded app. Many messaging apps can achieve this without needing all their processes to be constantly running, and what's more, to have that ugly, constant notification in your notification bar.

Try disabling Greenify for a couple of days and see if that makes a difference.

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Now I understand what "PUSH" is, thank you.
Yeah, it makes sense, many messaging apps doesn't need the running notification, like LINE, WhatsApp, and any other famous messaging apps. Only BBM used this.
OK, I'll try to disable the Greenify and tell you the difference
Ah, yes. Let me click the thanks buttton for you!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Thank you, and no problem! We're all here to try and help :)

Let me know if stopping Greenify helped, and also if enabling/disabling the running notification for BBM makes any difference as well. It's always good to know these things in case someone else runs into a similar issue. :)

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Hey SpookDroid! I don't have to wait a couple of days to know the result is:D
So I disbaled Greenify, BOOM! PROBLEM SOLVED! I do a test, I'm chatting when I'm browsing and listening to music, and BBM doesn't restarting by itselft! Now I can chatting, browsing, and listening to music at the same time! How good is that!
And of course, I tried to disable the running BBM notification, and I still receiving messages, the only difference that I had is when I'm opening the BBM. When the running notification disabled, it takes a longer time to open the BBM. So I keep it enabled just to get a faster responsibility.
Once again, thanks for your help SpookDroid!:D

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No problem! Glad you got it sorted out! And yeah, sometimes Greenify can be too aggressive and actually disable stuff it shouldn't be disabling... Again, glad you got it working! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals37