I would like to know if there is a way to force user authentication (password, or fingerprint, etc) by pressing a button.

What i mean is that on a blackberry you can press the 'K' key to lock the screen and force the user to have to put in the password to unlock the phone. With Android it seems like the only option is to set it to lock immediately b/c if it is set to anything other than that, hitting the power button will just turn off the screen but not Lock it until that setting reaches the time you set for the lock to occur.

I assume it is not built in and i will need to download an app.

Thanks
    05-26-2015 02:47 PM
    You can force the phone to lock using an app such as Screen Off and Lock.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e?...token=8XbxL9vL

You can create a shortcut on your homescreen or set a gesture if you're using some custom launcher. This way you can keep your smart lock options or your lock timeout when you press the power button.
    05-26-2015 02:58 PM
    Thanks, i saw a few apps like this but I was hoping to use native option but it does not appear this is available. I read on JB there was an option to lock with power button.
    05-26-2015 03:02 PM
    I don't remember exactly how it was with Jellybean but look in settings - security for an option called "power button automatically locks" or something like that.
    05-26-2015 03:14 PM
    In Security should be an "Automatically Lock" section, set it to "Immediately" and whenever the screen times out it will also lock the phone. There is also a setting that can be checked that says "Power button instantly locks". No apps needed, no special tricks, just understanding the settings.
    05-26-2015 03:24 PM
    I have looked at all the settings and I'm familiar with what you are describing, however it is not what I'm looking to do.

I don't want the screen to lock immediately when the screen goes off. What I want is the ability to set lock to 15 mins for example but when the screen timeouts after 5 seconds for example I would like to have the option to Lock it by pressing the power button. That is not available unfortunately unlike a blackberry were I can just press the K button to lock. Instead i have to download apps it seems to get this feature to work.
    05-26-2015 03:44 PM
    I'm not sure if i understand you. If you want to lock the phone with the power button you can do what I told you before. Check the "power button instantly lock" in settings - security.

If you want to lock the phone when the screen is off and still unlocked (by your lock settings) just press the power button. The screen will switch on and press again to switch it off and lock.

You only need to download an app if you don't want the power button to lock the phone. There could be different reasons for that, specially after updating to Lollipop and using the Smart lock options.
    05-26-2015 06:43 PM
    I'll try and explain again, what you are describing does not work that way on the new S6.

I want the ability to lock the screen at my will before the screen lock setting timeout is reached. Again on blackberry at any time when the screen is on you can press "K" and it will lock the screen. The only way to do that on the S6 natively is by setting the lock setting to "lock immediately or by pressing the power button" The issue is they are lumped together. So if the screen times out after 30 seconds it will lock that phone. I don't want those feature to be inclusive. I want the ability to lock at will and have have it forced to lock when the screen timeouts after x-seconds.

It's safe to say this feature does not exist on Android unless you download an app. Really a shame they decided to make it inclusive.
    05-26-2015 06:53 PM
    This feature exists in Android and I've used it. I don't have an S6 but I've seen in a couple of guides for this phone that it can be done. Not sure if there's a difference between carriers. Check if this guide can help.

http://gadgetguideonline.com/galaxys...6-lock-screen/

Those options can be changed under settings - lock screen & security - secure lock settings. It seems that you have to define an unlock option first (pin, pattern, etc).
    05-26-2015 07:44 PM
    Now i see why you are confused. The link you posted is exactly what I would like to have, However, i have an ATT s6 and this does not exist. The feature of using the lock with power key and lock automatically are inclusive, So you can turn both on or both off. They are not separate which is exactly what I was looking for. Shame they did this.

Screen lock timeout and force lock with button, can I force user authentication?-samsung_galaxy_s6_lock_screen_11_lock_automatically.jpg
    05-26-2015 07:53 PM
    The issue is ATT related, for what ever reason they disabled it.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sam...ml#post4436109
    05-26-2015 08:14 PM
    The difference between Blackberry and Android is that the Blackberry had a physical keyboard. With the S6 you have 4 hardware buttons - power, home and the 2 volume keys. 2 of those buttons will turn on the screen and either display your home screen or your lock screen (if the device reached the lock timeout), the home button and the power button. There is no way to configure the device to lock the screen with a physical button when the screen is already off as the 2 buttons you'd use are (by nature of the OS out of the box) set up to UNLOCK the screen already.

I think this is why we're confused, you're asking to do something that the device doesn't natively support. The folks at XDA may be able to help you but the solution may require root/ROM and will likely void your warranty.

By the way, you can lock the screen when it's off by pressing the power button 2 times. The first time turns the screen on, the second locks the screen based on the power button setting.
    05-26-2015 08:15 PM
    There is no confusion, the issue is that the feature exists but it is not enabled on att models for some reason. Look at the post above.
    05-26-2015 08:19 PM

By the way, you can lock the screen when it's off by pressing the power button 2 times. The first time turns the screen on, the second locks the screen based on the power button setting.
    This does not work.
    05-26-2015 08:20 PM
    That's not good then

I recommend you to write a post in that thread. It's in the S6 forum and more people with the same issue will check there. Maybe someone could find a fix. Well ... I tried

Good luck.
    05-26-2015 08:22 PM
    appreciate it. I bumped the thread. cheers
    Javier P likes this.
    05-26-2015 08:27 PM