Time to update my S4. No idea what to get.

mghpa

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
I'll preface this post by mentioning that I am not a power user. I don't play games, watch video, etc. I'm on the web, texting, and taking photos 95% of the time. I do have certain apps I use regularly for work and fun (EOS app, zillow, realtor, Google Earth, etc).

My wife and I are on Verizon currently. Still grandfathered into an old pre-edge plan with 2gb/line. I hate Verizon. I hate AT&T, but their coverage is the only thing acceptable in our rural area. I'm considering getting an unlocked phone and just using that as my upgrade on my existing plan, but even with how crappy Edge is, I may be able to get more data for my money (2gb is woefully pitiful).

I digress. My wife and I bought our S4s two and a half years ago and they are on their way out. To put it bluntly, they suck. Battery life is terrible, they're slow, mine now shuts off at 25%, etc.

I would ideally like a phone that doesn't cost $400 or $500, because frankly, with the life cycle of these devices, bo phone is worth that much.
Huawei line has intrigued me (specifically the Ascend Mate 2 for its battery life), but it is an older phone. I like the idea of leas bloat than the Samsung as well which is why it's also intriguing.

So, for a solid, dependable phone with great battery life and a good camera, and limited bloat at a fair price point, I'm open to suggestions.

Thank you in advance!

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
The G4 seems to meet your requirements, but the price may be a sticking point. Verizon has it for $452, but the "upgrade" promo code (if still active) would knock another $100 off if you put it on a device payment plan. That would most likely mean moving from your current plan to a new Verizon Plan. Not sure what AT&T or other versions have for deals right now.

The G4 has one of the best cameras right now, has a removable battery that is known to have good life, and I don't even notice the bloat. I simply uninstall what I can and disable the bloat I can't.

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest the Note 4. I paid just over $250 for a used one in great condition. No matter what you get, I would suggest you look at a MVNO like Straight Talk. Uses the Verizon or AT&T towers depending on the phone you choose. $45 a month per phone with unlimited calls, text and 5 GB data per phone.

telrod11

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I'd look at Cricket also, they run on AT&T towers, so your coverage would be fine.
Also, I'd look at an "real" Android phone that would get its updates from google, and avoid all the carrier bloat and delayed updated. Such as the Moto and nexus series...

mghpa

Jan 16, 2016
Visit site
Turns out we can get 6gb added with the same plan and with my company discount, I would be paying $50 less a month. Whoops. Now I need to buy an unlocked phone...not from them.

Any other suggestions? How about the Nexus 5x?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38