Upgrading from the HTC One M8, What new smartphone should I buy?

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm coming from the HTC One M8 and I am looking for a new smartphone to buy. What new smartphone should I buy? I need your help guys. I liked how the HTC One M8 had front speakers and they sounded great but now the Moto X Pure Edition's speakers sound way better than the M8's speakers. The Moto X Pure Edition speakers sound a lot louder and more clearer than the M8's speakers. I am considering buying the Moto X Pure Edition because of the great front speakers. However I do have some gripes with the Moto X Pure Edition that make me not want to buy the Moto X Pure Edition. 1 gripe is that the Moto X Pure Edition is a big phone. The Moto X Pure Edition is even bigger than the HTC One M8. The M8 has a 5 inch screen and the Moto X Pure Edition has a 5.7 inch screen. I really don''t want a big phone because my hands are not the biggest to hold a 5.7 inch phone. The 2nd gripe is the Moto X Pure Edition can not record 1080p 60fps video. Why is that? The HTC One M8 can record 1080p 60fps and the Moto X pure Edition can not. I do not understand that. 3rd gripe is that the Moto X pure Edition does not have a Notification Led Light. The HTC One M8 has a notification led light, why does the moto x pure edition not have a notification led light? Please someone explain that to me. Another gripe for me is that the Moto X pure Edition is powered by the Snapdragon 808 processor. The HTC One M8 is powered by a Snapdragon 801 processor. The performance difference between the 808 and the 801 is not much. I have seen benchmarks online of the M8 and the Moto X Pure Edition and the Moto X scored 51401 on Antutu benchmark and the M8 scored 44284 on Antutu benchmark. The Moto X Pure Edition scored 1248 single core and 3361 multi core in Geekbench 3. The M8 scored 975 single core and 2976 multi core in Geekbench 3. The Adreno 418 is not that much more powerful than the Adreno 330 in gaming. Is the Adreno 418 better than the Adreno 330? Is the Snapdragon 808 better than the Snapdragon 801? There really is not a huge performance difference between the HTC One M8 and the Moto X Pure Edition, or is there a performance difference? The Moto X Pure Edition suffers from thermal throttling when doing heavy tasks and benchmarks. I haven't seen the M8 thermal throttle on heavy tasks or benchmarks. I have also looked at the Nexus 6P but that phone is even bigger and taller than the M8 and Moto X Pure Editon. The Nexus 6P also can't record 1080P 60fps video. I also heard the Nexus 6P video stabilization is really bad. So I am really not sure which phone to buy. Are there better phones out there than the Moto X Pure Editon and Nexus 6P? I'm saying are there better phones that don't have the same drawbacks as the Moto X Pure Edition and Nexus 6P have?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: Coming from the HTC One M8, What new smartphone should I buy?

You sound like you're in a similar boat I was in a while back. I also came from an M8, and wasn't seeing a ton of options that suited me. I will say don't get too hung up on hardware specs and benchmarks, because a lot of the end user performance has to do with how well the system is optimized by the manufacturer. A well designed (in terms of software) phone on technically slower hardware can still run smoother and outperform a poorly designed phone on faster hardware. You're better off looking at reviews and feedback from actual users than what processors it has.

I eventually settled on the LG G4 and have been very pleased so far. I do miss the front stereo speakers of the M8, but the G4 speaker is loud and clear as a trade-off. Size was also a concern for me, but it's actually not near as bad as I expected due to the curved back. It also has a removable battery and sd card support. One of the bigger selling points for me was the camera, which has been ranked as one of the best available right now. It may be worth looking in to that one and see how it feels in your hand. I only say that because flagship phones are getting harder to find in smaller forms.

You may also want to see what the G5 has when it's announced next month or so. Rumor has it that it'll be smaller than the G4.

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

You sound like you're in a similar boat I was in a while back. I also came from an M8, and wasn't seeing a ton of options that suited me. I will say don't get too hung up on hardware specs and benchmarks, because a lot of the end user performance has to do with how well the system is optimized by the manufacturer. A well designed (in terms of software) phone on technically slower hardware can still run smoother and outperform a poorly designed phone on faster hardware. You're better off looking at reviews and feedback from actual users than what processors it has.

I eventually settled on the LG G4 and have been very pleased so far. I do miss the front stereo speakers of the M8, but the G4 speaker is loud and clear as a trade-off. Size was also a concern for me, but it's actually not near as bad as I expected due to the curved back. It also has a removable battery and sd card support. One of the bigger selling points for me was the camera, which has been ranked as one of the best available right now. It may be worth looking in to that one and see how it feels in your hand. I only say that because flagship phones are getting harder to find in smaller forms.

You may also want to see what the G5 has when it's announced next month or so. Rumor has it that it'll be smaller than the G4.

So the LG G4's speakers are not terrible right? They sound decent compared to front speakers on the Moto X Pure Edition? What do you think about the Moto X Pure Edition not able to record 1080p 60fps video? How is the gaming performance on the Snapdragon 808 Adreno 418 compared to the Snapdragon 801 Adreno 330? Do you experience any thermal throttling running benchmarks or heavy tasks on the LG G4 or any phone with Snapdragon 808?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

So the LG G4's speakers are not terrible right? They sound decent compared to front speakers on the Moto X Pure Edition? What do you think about the Moto X Pure Edition not able to record 1080p 60fps video? How is the gaming performance on the Snapdragon 808 Adreno 418 compared to the Snapdragon 801 Adreno 330? Do you experience any thermal throttling running benchmarks or heavy tasks on the LG G4 or any phone with Snapdragon 808?

I can't compare directly to the Moto XPE, and can only say the G4 runs just as smooth as the M8 for my uses. The speaker sounds great and cupping the back of the phone when in landscape does a good job redirecting the sound so it's even better. I rarely even turn it up to full volume, which I did do often on my M8.

Gaming performance is just fine. I play Dead Trigger 2 a fair bit with no issues. The camera doesn't record 1080p 60fps out of the box, but some people on the XDA forums found a way to enable it if you're ok with rooting. It records 4K, but with a 5 minute time limit. If there's one complaint I have about the G4, it's the thermal throttling. That's why it's limited to 5 min 4K recording. The odd thing is I don't notice any throttling during gaming even when it's warm. The only other time throttling shows up is charging. It'll begin reducing the charge rate and screen brightness (but not performance), even on QC2.0 chargers at about 95°F. That's not even warm for a battery, but pretty much any use of the phone will result in a charge slowdown.

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

I can't compare directly to the Moto XPE, and can only say the G4 runs just as smooth as the M8 for my uses. The speaker sounds great and cupping the back of the phone when in landscape does a good job redirecting the sound so it's even better. I rarely even turn it up to full volume, which I did do often on my M8.

Gaming performance is just fine. I play Dead Trigger 2 a fair bit with no issues. The camera doesn't record 1080p 60fps out of the box, but some people on the XDA forums found a way to enable it if you're ok with rooting. It records 4K, but with a 5 minute time limit. If there's one complaint I have about the G4, it's the thermal throttling. That's why it's limited to 5 min 4K recording. The odd thing is I don't notice any throttling during gaming even when it's warm. The only other time throttling shows up is charging. It'll begin reducing the charge rate and screen brightness (but not performance), even on QC2.0 chargers at about 95°F. That's not even warm for a battery, but pretty much any use of the phone will result in a charge slowdown.

The LG G4 can not record 1080p 60fps video? The Moto XPE can not record 1080p 60fps video either :( How many times more powerful is the Moto XPE than the HTC One M8? Does the Moto XPE get more FPS in games than the M8? So the LG G4 and the Moto XPE suffer from thermal throttling. Do both the Moto XPE and the LG G4 have a 5 minute limit 4K recording?

HAWK

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Wait and see what the s7 has in store?

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site

MoonCatt I would like to hear back from you :)

I've never used the Moto XPE, so I can't give you any comparisons with that. Like I said, the only throttling I've seen on the G4 is when charging and the 4k recording limit. Outside of that, no issues during my use and it's been the best all around phone I've had.

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

I've never used the Moto XPE, so I can't give you any comparisons with that. Like I said, the only throttling I've seen on the G4 is when charging and the 4k recording limit. Outside of that, no issues during my use and it's been the best all around phone I've had.

The LG G4 can not record 1080p 60fps video? The Moto XPE can not record 1080p 60fps video either How many times more powerful is the Moto XPE than the HTC One M8? Does the Moto XPE get more FPS in games than the M8? So the LG G4 and the Moto XPE suffer from thermal throttling. Do both the Moto XPE and the LG G4 have a 5 minute limit 4K recording?

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I'm coming from the HTC One M8 and I am looking for a new smartphone to buy. What new smartphone should I buy? I need your help guys. I liked how the HTC One M8 had front speakers and they sounded great but now the Moto X Pure Edition's speakers sound way better than the M8's speakers. The Moto X Pure Edition speakers sound a lot louder and more clearer than the M8's speakers. I am considering buying the Moto X Pure Edition because of the great front speakers. However I do have some gripes with the Moto X Pure Edition that make me not want to buy the Moto X Pure Edition. 1 gripe is that the Moto X Pure Edition is a big phone. The Moto X Pure Edition is even bigger than the HTC One M8. The M8 has a 5 inch screen and the Moto X Pure Edition has a 5.7 inch screen. I really don''t want a big phone because my hands are not the biggest to hold a 5.7 inch phone. The 2nd gripe is the Moto X Pure Edition can not record 1080p 60fps video. Why is that? The HTC One M8 can record 1080p 60fps and the Moto X pure Edition can not. I do not understand that. 3rd gripe is that the Moto X pure Edition does not have a Notification Led Light. The HTC One M8 has a notification led light, why does the moto x pure edition not have a notification led light? Please someone explain that to me. Another gripe for me is that the Moto X pure Edition is powered by the Snapdragon 808 processor. The HTC One M8 is powered by a Snapdragon 801 processor. The performance difference between the 808 and the 801 is not much. I have seen benchmarks online of the M8 and the Moto X Pure Edition and the Moto X scored 51401 on Antutu benchmark and the M8 scored 44284 on Antutu benchmark. The Moto X Pure Edition scored 1248 single core and 3361 multi core in Geekbench 3. The M8 scored 975 single core and 2976 multi core in Geekbench 3. The Adreno 418 is not that much more powerful than the Adreno 330 in gaming. Is the Adreno 418 better than the Adreno 330? Is the Snapdragon 808 better than the Snapdragon 801? There really is not a huge performance difference between the HTC One M8 and the Moto X Pure Edition, or is there a performance difference? The Moto X Pure Edition suffers from thermal throttling when doing heavy tasks and benchmarks. I haven't seen the M8 thermal throttle on heavy tasks or benchmarks. I have also looked at the Nexus 6P but that phone is even bigger and taller than the M8 and Moto X Pure Editon. The Nexus 6P also can't record 1080P 60fps video. I also heard the Nexus 6P video stabilization is really bad. So I am really not sure which phone to buy. Are there better phones out there than the Moto X Pure Editon and Nexus 6P? I'm saying are there better phones that don't have the same drawbacks as the Moto X Pure Edition and Nexus 6P have?

The Moto Pure is great!

808 but it's so smooth

The front speakers have few rivals. I like a lot about the G4 but the Moto sounds a lot nicer.

I have no issues with the recorded video. The recordings are less shaky than other phones I've used.

Sure there is no notification light but once you emerse yourself in the Moto functions, I don't even miss the led light.

Personally I think the Moto Pure is a huge upgrade from the M8. The only thing from your list that I could see bring an issue is the size. Could be a bit cumbersome if you're looking for a smaller phone.

Posted via the Android Central App

HAWK

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site

Only you can decide for yourself what the best phone is for you man

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

Other than the Moto XPE and the Nexus 6P, Is there a phone out there that has front facing speakers, micro sd card expansion, powerful cpu and gpu performance(no thermal throttling), Great Camera with 4k and 1080p 60fps video, notification led light, and 5 inch to 5.5 inch screen.

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site

I really need help asap please. I want to buy a new smartphone right now. I want to upgrade from my broken HTC One M8.

passion4tech

Banned
Sep 1, 2014
Visit site
Again I really need help asap please. I want to buy a new smartphone right now. I want to upgrade from my broken HTC One M8. There is still no responses from other people.

picard-facepalm2.jpg

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
A quick Google search brings up a lot of other posts from people asking the same thing about those phones, but none have any positive results. Sorry bud, but it looks like you're out of luck and not even a root method exists to get 1080p 60fps on those two phones. At best, I saw some claim the 6p could record 1080p 120fps slow motion. If that's true, then you would have the option of converting that to 60fps with some video editing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress