I'm having a problem when using a physical bluetooth keyboard with my Shield Tablet running 5.1.1.

For some reason auto correct doesn't seem to work when using a physical keyboard. If I spell a word wrong, it doesn't underline it with a red line like it normally would. As I type, I often don't even get word suggestions. It will merge a whole bunch of words in my sentence into the suggestion boxes, almost like a sentence suggestion. I think that is when it is detecting gramatical errors.

I have no problems when using the soft keyboard. Any advice on how to fix this? I live and die by spellcheck so this makes the keyboard almost useless lol.
    02-03-2016 12:56 PM
    Maybe it's a limitation of the keyboard you're using (the software, I mean). Whatever 'soft' keyboard you choose to use is what takes over when using a hardware keyboard, so if the one you selected doesn't support spell checking or autocorrect for hardware keyboards, the only solution would be to switch to a keyboard app that does. Swiftkey, for instance, does support it, but you lose the spell check (red underline of spelling errors).
    02-03-2016 01:20 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I'm using the Google keyboard.

Your last sentence confuses me though. You say Swiftkey does support it but then I lose spellcheck. Do you mean it supports auto correct but not spell checking?
    02-03-2016 01:42 PM
    Correct. You can get autocorrect and suggestions, but it doesn't support underlining spelling mistakes once they have been input.
    02-03-2016 03:35 PM
    Well, that is a start at least. I have used Swiftkey in the past but prefer the Google keyboard. I guess I could just activate it when using my keyboard. Thanks for the help.

If anyone is aware of a keyboard that supports both suggestions and underlines spelling errors, I would greatly appreciate it if you could share your knowledge.
    02-03-2016 05:18 PM
    The Samsung stock one does (it's strange, since it's powered by SwiftKey but it does support spell checking), but I don't think you can install that on a Shield
    You can try Swype, that's another popular option.
    02-03-2016 05:59 PM