HTC M8 unfortunately mail had stopped error

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Im about to wipe my HCT One M8 because I keep getting the following mssg: "Unfortunately Mails has stopped" every time I try and open email.

Can someone recommend a good back up tool (and will it remember settings, keep ring tones, screen saver, etc)?

and-

Should I not backup my apps considering that one of the apps I downloaded might be causing me the above problem?

Can I just go to My Google Apps and re-download everything from there without having to back them up prior?

Thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Some advice/tips before I do a factory reset?

Ok--and you've already gone to Settings>Apps>All, selected Mail, and Cleared Data/Cache? Or removed your email accounts from the Mail app, then added them back? Sorry that I'm not answering your original question, but just trying to make sure we've explored all avenues prior to a factory reset.

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

Ok--and you've already gone to Settings>Apps>All, selected Mail, and Cleared Data/Cache? Or removed your email accounts from the Mail app, then added them back? Sorry that I'm not answering your original question, but just trying to make sure we've explored all avenues prior to a factory reset.

No worries and thanks for running through these options with me.
I have cleared the cache and data and no change.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Android System Webview updates have caused issues with the M8 (and other devices) in the past. Try uninstalling the updates to that app.

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

Android System Webview updates have caused issues with the M8 (and other devices) in the past. Try uninstalling the updates to that app.

How does one uninstall updates for the stock Mail app?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I'm sorry--I meant updates to the Android System Webview app. Go to Settings>Apps>All, select Android System Webview, and Uninstall Updates.

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

I'm sorry--I meant updates to the Android System Webview app. Go to Settings>Apps>All, select Android System Webview, and Uninstall Updates.

It worked!

B. Diddy...thank you sir (or ma'am):)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

All right!:D This problem has cropped up from time to time. Android System Webview is still kind of important for security, though, so keep an eye out for updates in the near future. The next time it's updated, re-update your version, and see if the problem comes back.

Also, send an email to Google to make sure they know it's a problem for your phone. Give them your phone's model number and Android version. apps-help@google.com

And I'm a guy, but thanks for being open minded!:)

kwitel

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

It did ask me if I wanted to use the "factroy Settings' for ASW to which I replied "ok".

As far as security is concerned...how will I know when new versions of the Webview are available?

Ive actually never heard of it prior to this conversation with you...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

It did ask me if I wanted to use the "factroy Settings' for ASW to which I replied "ok".

As far as security is concerned...how will I know when new versions of the Webview are available?

Ive actually never heard of it prior to this conversation with you...

You will likely be prompted to install an update. If that's the case, do a quick search for the version number to see if others are having issues.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The problem, though, is that you'll always be prompted for an update, since you uninstalled updates and reverted back to the original factory version. The current version is 48.0.2564.106, so you'll want to see if it's a later version before reinstalling updates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress