Backup! Backup! Backup! NOW!

jls1986

Jul 6, 2014
Visit site
Having used the backup feature of iPhone and iTunes, which method or app can restore my entire phone, including apps, folders, widgets to the location and screen setup I had at time of backup? That's one thing that iTunes does very well. You can restore with literally no pain. If there is an app that backs up and restores to that level please share it. Thanks.

Posted via the Android Central App

I haven't found anything that works as well as iTunes backup does. Every time I get a new phone I lose the majority of my app saved data because I haven't found a working way to transfer it over. It's one of the things the iphone does better.

flintlock

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Can't do a nandroid without being rooted. That's the only real backup. Second best is a Ti BU but that requires root as well. Third best is data backups. Just having your data on a removable card is partial protection.

Tough part about backups is they're often not as usable as you think when you actually need them. But pay heed to the poster who stressed backups. You will crash, brick or get stolen.

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to try helium but it requires a program on your computer that elicits a virus warning.

It would seem that your PC's anti virus is giving you a false positive in that case as Helium is used by millions of people worldwide.

makaroni

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I see nothing wrong with a guide to help people protect their data.

For years I have seen "I only had photos of my son being born on my phone but the phone is broken now how do I save them?" -- Happens a LOT and it is scary since a good amount of people may not think about backing things up until something like that happens.

The guide is extremely helpful and informative, it's just the way he posted it. Sounded like he was wired up on Red Bull or Monster energy drinks before he typed it...that's all

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I haven't been on the Samsung train yet (will do once the Note 6 is out), but on my LG G4, there's something called "LG Backup".

It's a pretty comprehensive little tool. Backs up apps, data, documents, photos, media, call logs, contacts, messages, and system settings plus a few others.

I'm not sure if Samsung and other OEMs have the same tool, but I think every manufacturer should do the same. It eliminates the need for rooting when it comes to app backups and is also a pretty comprehensive tool.

I guess Smart Switch kinda counts for Samsung?

Last edited:

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
The guide is extremely helpful and informative, it's just the way he posted it. Sounded like he was wired up on Red Bull or Monster energy drinks before he typed it...that's all

Exactly! One would have though the start of WWIII was at hand. Dude, it's a phone!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
In my view, ironass's tone is very much tongue-in-cheek. But I can't deny that there's some level of frustration among those of us who frequent these forums looking to help people, and encounter unfortunate situations that could have been avoided by simply following some of these basic backup or sync methods. I've seen countless posts from people who lost their priceless and sentimental photos or other files, only having had them stored on the phone itself.

Also, for many people, it's not just a phone--it can be their peripheral brain, their family photo album, their livelihood, and their lifeline. For those kinds of people, backup is crucial. For people who only use a phone to make calls, then I agree--it's just a phone.;)

ironass

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site
The title and the whole format of the thread was carefully designed and thought out to get people to read it. Experienced users that already back their phone's up would realise this within 20 seconds of starting to read.

However, those who have not backed their phone's up, (trust me, there are millions of those worldwide), would now understand the urgency in backing up and the reasons for doing so and the consequences to them of not backing up.

My original title... "Your Android phone and why you should take precautions and backup your data and photographs in case of damage, theft, loss or being locked out", just didn't seem to be enough of an attention compeller for most of these people.

So, I decided to go for the famous Orson Welles radio play of 1938, War of the Worlds, panic approach and grab peoples attention from the get-go. Judging from my critics on here... it works perfectly!

OK, the experienced ones of you on here probably wasted 20 seconds of your time that you'll never get back again. On the other hand, think of all those who have not backed up their phones, who will now do so and possibly save all their precious data and photos as well as countless hours of frustration and numerous posts on here. As I stated in an earlier post, "If it saves just one poster from losing their precious data/photos, then it will have done its job."

Therefore, I make no apologies for either the title of the thread, or the way it is written... because it obviously works!

Vivek31

Feb 24, 2016
Visit site
That's happened to me a few times and I respond the same way, ehh.

If you're pushing people to use cloud storage, at least give them a secure option, like Mega, who offers 50 gigs for free, and it's extremely secure. Sync.com is another secure option that starts you out with 5 gigs for free.

Last edited by a moderator:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch