Tethering - uh... I'm confused

the1sen

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey folks.

A year later, I am still enjoying my Droid Incredible. Great machine.

I was reading Android 101: Tethering | Android Central and was a bit curious. They list ONE application for the purpose of tethering without rooting, and mention the carrier fee may be incurred when using it :-/

I was reading also that rooting your phone makes it so you don't have to pay the carrier induced tethering fee. I am not planning to use it frequently, just when in a pinch... and I really don't want to void my warranty.

Then I read further and found myself with this: Sideload Android apps all you want with the Sideload Wonder Machine | Android Central

Is there anyone out there with some experience who can offer another application for the phone that would do all of the following:

1. not require rooting
2. not incur additional carrier fees
3. that works with the sideloader and a Mac

Given the frequency with which I plan to use this feature, it's just not worth paying extra money per month to VZW, or rooting the phone and voiding the warranty.

Anywho, any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Rooting can be un-rooted as well. I would say root then free wifi tether. Then if you need to bring it to VZW, just un-root.

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Given the frequency with which I plan to use this feature, it's just not worth paying extra money per month to VZW, or rooting the phone and voiding the warranty.
You'll have to pick your poison: no tethering, root, or pay your carrier. As stated above, you can unroot if you need to make a warranty claim.

the1sen

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I understand - I suppose rooting is the way to go.

Ok - reading about rooting the machine now.

Questions about rooting -

1. will this delete everything already on my phone?

2. is it as simple as installing an application?

Many thanks, once again.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It just gives you SU access and will not delete everything on your phone unless you somehow mess it up. But if you read up on rooting and follow every step then you should be fine.

It's not as simple as installing an application, well it depends on which phone model do you have. Which one do you have?

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Here is what I think you need to read:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...oot-rom-your-droid-incredible.html#post552478

Rooting is no big deal. It's just like going to Windows File Explorer on your PC and going to Options, then checking the box that says Show Hidden Files. All rooting does is give you access to your phones system files. This will then allow apps like Wireless Tether work. If you ever need to, you can always un-root.

Reactions: the1sen

jjeffcoat

Dec 10, 2010
Visit site
You can do USB tethering without rooting, and it works very well. You can do it with either Easytether or PDAnet (both in the Market).

Free version of both blocks secure (https://) sites; the paid version of Easytether is about $10, I think PDAnet runs about $25.

I use Easytether, it was not difficult to set up, and works perfectly.

Jim