Android Automotive reading MMS message headers

wgoldfarb

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
I have a car with Android Automotive built-in (not Android Auto, but the Android Automotive OS), and a OnePlus 8T phone. Any time I receive an MMS message, the car will read out all the header information before reading the message itself. For example, it will say "greater than, subject..." because it sees the <subject> tag in the MMS header, and will even say "smile" because it sees the <smil> tag. The car receives the messages via the bluetooth connection with the phone.

Is there a way to prevent the car from reading the header information? I don't know if this would be a setting in the car or in the phone, or in the text message app, or perhaps a carrier/APN issue that I cannot fix?

Here are the details:

Car: Polestar 2 with Android Automotive 11
Phone: OnePlus 8T running Android 13, using the stock Android messages app
Carrier: T-Mobile

The phone was set to use MAP 1.2. I tried changing to 1.3 and 1.4 but it made no difference.

Any suggestions about where to look or what to try would be greatly appreciated!

wgoldfarb

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
Have you looked into the Settings in the car head unit? It should have options for what to read, language choices, etc
I did but Polestar has severely limited the functionality and settings of the OS in their cars. There is nothing that remotely relates to this. I even tried to look for the Bluetooth MAP version in the developer settings, but Polestar has disabled the developer settings in the car. They have even disabled the Android Auto receiver, so we cannot even use Android Auto, we are stuck with their version of AAOS (Ironically, Apple Car Play does work, so even though this is an Android car, owners of Apple phones have a better experience than owners of Android phones). I am hoping there is a setting I haven't found somewhere in the phone or the Google Assistant that can fix this.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Have you tried toggle these settings off in Android Auto under messages?
82ebdb6049b6ba429eb2e761d60770d3.jpg

Reactions: Laura Knotek

wgoldfarb

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
Have you tried toggle these settings off in Android Auto under messages?
82ebdb6049b6ba429eb2e761d60770d3.jpg
The car runs Android Automotive OS, not Android Auto, and it does not have any of these options (The car is not linked to Android Auto on my phone because there is no way to link it -- it is not possible to install Android Auto receiver in the car, so I cannot use Android Auto in the car).

I am hoping it is possible for a setting in the phone or in Google Assistant to fix this. If not it seems I am stuck listening to over 30 seconds of random information every time a message comes in. I absolutely love the car, but their implementation of AAOS is just awful and their technical customer support is equally terrible.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
The car runs Android Automotive OS, not Android Auto, and it does not have any of these options (The car is not linked to Android Auto on my phone because there is no way to link it -- it is not possible to install Android Auto receiver in the car, so I cannot use Android Auto in the car).

I am hoping it is possible for a setting in the phone or in Google Assistant to fix this. If not it seems I am stuck listening to over 30 seconds of random information every time a message comes in. I absolutely love the car, but their implementation of AAOS is just awful and their technical customer support is equally terrible.
Ahh sorry about the mix-up so it has its own OS , can you download Android Auto to the unit?

wgoldfarb

Feb 4, 2024
Visit site
Ahh sorry about the mix-up so it has its own OS , can you download Android Auto to the unit?
No, sadly. The OS has been heavily "censored" by Polestar. The number of Apps we can install via the Play Store is very, very limited. They even block the Android Auto receiver app, which is what allows Android Auto to run on the head unit. Many people have repeatedly asked for the receiver app to unblocked, but Polestar says they have no plans to do so. It is amazing to me that iPhone users have a much better experience in an Android car than Android users!

EDIT: by the way, the mixup is extremely common. The naming Google chose for these two products is very unfortunate.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
No, sadly. The OS has been heavily "censored" by Polestar. The number of Apps we can install via the Play Store is very, very limited. They even block the Android Auto receiver app, which is what allows Android Auto to run on the head unit. Many people have repeatedly asked for the receiver app to unblocked, but Polestar says they have no plans to do so. It is amazing to me that iPhone users have a much better experience in an Android car than Android users!
That reminds of GM currently running a different OS on their head unit and your right apple usually has a better experience, sad

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail