My current Verizon S5 is using a telephone number provided by Verizon. I have moved to another area and need to have a new local number but I also want to keep the current number that Verizon provided previously.

I was thinking that I could move my current number over to Google Voice and then have Verizon provide me with a new local number. I would appreciate your comments on the best way to accomplish my goal of 2 numbers on the same phone and also the procedure to accomplish it.
    05-22-2016 11:13 AM
    Why does anyone need a "local" number anymore in the age of toll-free nationwide calling?

Anyway, how about setting your old Verizon number to automatically forward calls to your new number? I think you can do it directly from Verizon's website.
    05-22-2016 11:17 AM
    I agree that local numbers are not required for most purposes but I want a local number for business purposes. I don't want people thinking my business is not a local business.

As far as forwarding the old Verizon number that is what I had in mind for porting the number to Google Voice and then forward it to my new number. If that is the best solution, do I first port the number and then get a new number from Verizon?
    05-22-2016 12:43 PM
    Now that I think about it, years ago I was in a similar situation with a landline. I created a phone.com account and transferred my number to it. Then, I placed an auto-attendant on that line with a recording that said an elaborate version of "We are no longer accepting calls at this number; to reach Bill dial xxx-xxx-xxxx, to reach Betty dial yyy-yyy-yyyy. Cost me like $5/month and I left it in place for 1 year.
    05-22-2016 04:42 PM
    I would much rather have the non local number forwarded to the new local number that Verizon would provide
    05-22-2016 04:50 PM