Android Security - Validate an installed standard OTA ROM

dcunited001

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
i've been getting a little paranoid about security on my phone. I have a samsung epic and i've installed Norton Security to scan for malware, but i'm not really sure how good that is for scanning for threats. and i've checked out Stats to see if my phone is sending anything more than i really am.

But, is there a way to scan to make sure that your currently installed ROM is valid and has not been messed with?

I have Froyo EB13 and it was downloaded and installed OTA several weeks ago. Is there anyway to verify that this ROM has not been screwed with, is it even possible to screw with the installed ROM on someone's phone?

jtcady

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
If it was an official update then you have nothing to worry about. There are currently no active viruses on Android so you can ditch the Norton Security.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Without root and superuser permissions, there is no way to mess with the ROM.

Don't download apps from 3rd party Chinese app stores, don't download obviously silly apps from the market, don't pirate software off web sites and you'll be fine.

With that said – a healthy dose of skepticism never hurts. If a “cool” wallpaper app wants permission to everything under the sun… skip it.

thornm

Mar 17, 2011
Visit site
how can you pirate an app, do you mean like use file share and download the apk then install it on sd card, wouldnt you need to be rooted i really dont know much about this stuff i am a noob to android like 36hr ago i got my android

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87