Softbricked Samsung Galaxy Express bootloop

NewfieDawg

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy Express SGH-i437 AT&T phone that is stuck on a 65-75 sec interval bootloop. As I understand it this is a "soft brick". At this time, I've spent far more time on trying to fix the phone than it is probably worth. When the phone boots it shows that there is a download in progress. There is not enough time in the bootloop to kill the download via Download Manager. Each time when the device loops there is an error message to the effect that "Unfortunately Messaging has stopped", then a few seconds later it reboots. I have tried clearing the messaging cache and force stopping the Messaging app. Due to the bootloop interval there is not enough time to do this.

In trying to get the phone out of the bootloop, I have Googled myself into a fog. Learned a lot, but have become increasingly frustrated with failures. About the only thing that I have not tried is using ADB to sideload images and reflash the phone. I've installed both adb and fastboot on my desktop and tested connecting to another device, but not the softbricked Express. If I boot the bricked phone into recoery, adb will connect successfully.

I have gone thru many attempts at clearing caches (system, data, Davlik). Tried reformating same. All fail with same error message that "can not open /cache/recovery log; can not mount/cacherecovery/last-install...
I have tried rebooting after each wipe or format step. All fail with the same error message. I should mention the same error message appears when launching CWM Recovery. The error message is shown here:

"formating /data...
error mounting /data!
skipping format
Formatting /cache...
error can't open /cache/recovery/log
can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
can't open /cache/recovery/last-log
cant mount /cache/recovery/last_install
can't open /cache/recoery/last_install

formatting /sd card ext
unkown volume for path /sd card ext

error can't open /cache/recovery/log
can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
can't open /cache/recovery/last-log
cant mount /cache/recovery/last_install
can't open /cache/recoery/last_install"

The app then defaults back to recovery menu and does exactly nothing in terms of wiping anything. Everything remains as it was in the bootloop.

The phone is rooted, and I can boot into CWM Recovery one of two ways:1) power+vol down+home or 2) thru the apps drawer. Due to the bootloop, I can connect the phone to desktop with USB cable, there simply is not enough time for the desktop to recognise the phone via file explorer.

I have aslo tried flashing a newer version of CM11 which fails. I do have a stock ROM for Jelly Bean Android ver 4.1.2 that I can try to flash. The md5 hash indicates that it is a good download anthough I don't hold much hope for this though.
Should I try replacing CWM with TWRP via adb, then attempt flashing either a stock ROM or a custom ROM? Or get out the bigger hammer and give grace to the phone? <BEG>
TIA

NewfieDawg

Nov 28, 2016
Visit site
Well, it's toast and Mjolnir time for the phone. I've spent around 40 hours of learning and trying to get the thing out of the bootloop. ADB failed recognize the phone in fastboot mode. Odin would not recognize the existance of the phone, nor would Heimdall. Unable to clear caches cleared for Messaging, Download Manager, System, Data, or Dalvik. Giving up in disgust.
Hopefully none else will have to experience something like this. Oh, BTW xda-university has about the best info on how to deal with bootloops and an excellent guide on using ADB. :'(