Comparison Chart: Xoom, Transformer, Galaxy, TouchPad

johncihak

Banned
Dec 8, 2009
Visit site
Forgot to include screen quality - contrast ration, viewing angle, etc. The iPad screens (and any other IPS screens) have a significant advanatage.

Netflix compatibility and app availability is also important - although not hardware related

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
The transformer is a better option than the Acer....

The Asus Transformer tablet meets all of the Xoom specs and doubles as a netbook. The Transformer has already been Rooted. Amazon UK listing.

Unless my eyes deceive me, the images of the transformer on the ASUS website is running a skin of honeycomb.
That image is from a prototype three months ago. Watch the videos. It is Honeycomb: Commercial - Asus demo - User unboxing - Amazon UK

Forgot to include screen quality - contrast ration, viewing angle, etc...
It was on purpose. These specs are not all published and in the end are very subjective to the user's perception. I did go looking for the manufacturers specs. Can you give the links to the contrast specs?

does the galaxy tab have a HDMI/mini port or do you have to use an adapter like the iPad?
Yes, the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 has a real port. The iPad 2 needs about $60 in cables. The rest need about $30-40 in cables if purchased from the maker. HDMI cables are not included with any of these tablets and so are not included in the comparison.

The Asus Transform does include a keyboard that turns it into a netbook so keyboard prices should be included in the comparison.

At $399 with the netbook keyboard, how can anything compete with the Asus Transform? That's nearly the price of the 7" Samsung.

Last edited:

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Milo, pay attention to the navigation buttons at the bottom of the transformer. They are different than the ones on the Xoom. I could be wrong and things could have changed, but those buttons indicate to me that ASUS has done some OS customization.

Edit: I checked all of the link you posted and none of them show a clear image of the transformer running a non-skinned version of honeycomb. In fact the hands on demo showed the transformer running a skin. I was hoping the unboxing video would have showed more that just the device turning on.

Last edited:

jnewell

Sep 13, 2010
Visit site
Also, the opening post is updated to add the Acer Iconia A500 that will be coming out in just a few days.

Question - the Acer @ $449 is WiFi only, not 3G/4G capable? Of course, the Xoom at $599 is either WiFi only, or has a 2-year contract requirement. Maybe there is room for clarification with notes about pricing/contracts? Please don't interpret this as carping about a great comparison chart! :)

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
problemmmmm: i cant view the chart on my xoom! lol it appears as a question mark on google chrome..
I can replicate that in Chrome if I am not logged in to Android Central. As soon as I log in the jpg chart image is displayed.

Are you logged into Android Central?

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
As I continue to work on the comparisons, the Asus Transform really stands out. Asus has been computers, monitors, and devices for other brands for years including past Treo's.

The Asus Transformer is basically a netbook that's touchscreen detaches to be used as a tablet. All for only $399?

The Transformer matches up well with the Xoom resolution, size, CPU, RAM, HDMI 1080p, cameras, and is Honeycomb too.

Best Buy has had the Transform on their website but has taken it back down. It included this picture:

best_buy_asus_eee_pad_transformer_ipad_keyboard-580x370.jpg

If the Transformer is sitting in a row with all the other tablets at Best Buy, which one will people buy?

[EDIT] The more I think about this, there is simply no way the keyboard can be included at $399. It will cost extra.

Last edited:

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I think it really depends. Obviously respecting fans will buy their OS of choice. What is left are the people in the middle. If the fact that the Transformer can almost fully replace a netbook/laptop is pushed, then I think it will win. If not, people will go with the brand they know, which is the iPad.

That being said, the iPad, just from a hardware perspective is sexier being more compact and lighter, without a huge bezel. However, the Transformer has all of the benefits of Honeycomb's openness, file system, etc. I think it will come down to whatever people value more. Form vs function.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but the transformer at $399 doesn't come with the keyboard dock, which I have heard will cost $150 extra.

Complex Pants

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
That would be very nice indeed. I don't think the unboxing videos have showed the keyboard though.

Update: I am pretty sure that the dock is an extra. I found this quote on the ASUS website. " The Transformer sets itself apart from other tablets on the market by featuring an optional docking station. This provides access to a full QWERTY keyboard along with unique Android Function keys, turning the tablet Transformer into a full-fledged notebook."

The site also says that the transformer will use ASUS' waveshare launcher, which hopefully is just a basic launcher replacment and doesn't do any deep changes.

http://www.asus.com/Eee/Eee_Pad/Eee_Pad_Transformer_TF101/

Last edited:

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I will split this off into a separate thread but the reviews for the RIM Playbook are just brutal...

Business Insider: The Reviews of the BlackBerry PlayBook are Unbelievably Bad
"Almost every single review we've read says in short: Don't buy it."

New York Times: A BlackBerry Tablet, but Where Are the Apps?
"...For now, the PlayBook’s motto might be, ‘There’s no app for that’."

"The PlayBook, then, is convenient, fast and coherently designed. But in its current half-baked form, it seems almost silly to try to assess it, let alone buy it."

"Remember, the primary competition is an iPad — the same price, but much thinner, much bigger screen and a library of 300,000 apps. In that light, does it make sense to buy a fledgling tablet with no built-in e-mail or calendar, no cellular connection, no video chat, no Skype, no Notes app, no GPS app, no videochat, no Pandora radio and no Angry Birds?"

Business Insider: The BlackBerry PlayBook Is A Huge Disappointment So Far
"It's as if there is no one at RIM who has the power/stones to say, 'This isn't good enough. Re-do it and make it much better.'"

PCWorld: BlackBerry PlayBook Gets Panned by Reviewers
"...it's not ready for prime time."

Financial Post: RIM's BlackBerry PlayBook underwhelms in early reviews
"Unfortunately for RIM, the consensus seems to be that RIM’s PlayBook is a bit underwhelming."

Wired: BlackBerry Playbook Tablet Lacks All the Right Moves
"...you may want to think twice before picking one up."

Gizmodo BlackBerry PlayBook Review
"...I don't think anyone should buy it right now..."

Wall Street Journal ATD: Overreactor Meltdown: RIM’s Lazaridis Blows Again
"...I don’t fully understand why there’s this negative sentiment, and I just don’t have the time to battle it..."

Wall Street Journal: PlayBook: A Tablet With a Case Of Codependency
"This first edition of the PlayBook has no built-in cellular data connection and lacks such basic built-in apps as an email program, a contacts program, a calendar, a memo pad and even RIM’s popular BlackBerry Messenger chat system...although the PlayBook has very nice front and rear cameras, it comes without video-chatting software."

Quanta is the actual maker of the Playbook:
Quanta Computer expected to see booming shipments of PlayBook
‎"Although most market watchers believe RIM's total PlayBook sales will reach only about 4-5 million units in 2011, since RIM plans to at least order an average of 800,000 units each month in the second half of 2011, the company will have a great chance of having annual sales surpass market watchers' expectations."

RIM's Future: Microsoft, HP, RIM Could Lose Out‎ (Gartner)

An almost positive review: Engadget: BlackBerry PlayBook Review
"Like webOS? If so, you're going to love what's hiding under the PlayBook's (healthy) bezels...ultimately, we have a tablet that's trying really hard to please the enterprise set but, in doing so, seems to be alienating casual users who might just want a really great seven-inch tablet."

Here is a positive Review! PlayBook Tablet Makes Dull BlackBerry Cool Again
Check it out. If nothing else to see the worst toupee on a 60-year-old ever.

CrackBerry is not as positive: CrackBerry BlackBerry PlayBook Review
"So did the BlackBerry PlayBook hit the ball straight out of the park? Not quite."

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I added the Toshiba Tablet to the opening post comparison but it is really not much different than the Xoom at $599.

The Acer Iconia at $449 and Asus Transformer at $399 still lead the way.

Maybe the Toshiba can be at or below the Asus price although I suspect not. Toshiba has to buy it's tablet from a third party who also has to make a mark-up. Asus, Acer, and Samsung are able to make their own devices.